You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Talk About It! > Cooking With Cannabis > Decarboxylation in H20

Thread Title Search
Click to visit The Vault Cannabis Seed Store
Decarboxylation in H20 Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-19-2017, 08:26 PM #1
pinkus

pinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to all
Decarboxylation in H20

High y'all. I'm currently in the process of making canna coconut oil for some chocolates. I use at least a couple of ounces of trim for a batch of 24 chocolates. I do this often, probably at least once every two weeks, so I know it is effective. First I take the trim and put it in a crockpot with water WITHOUT oils. I let almost all the water evaporate off, then I strain and rinse the trim until the water runs clear. Then I put in fresh water and the coconut oil and run the crock until the water/oil has almost disappeared. I then squish the mix in a potato ricer through a strainer. I'll then run hot water through the mix and re-squish a couple of times. cool it in the fridge, re melt in hot water and swirl to clean. yada yada yada. It all works well.

One thing I don't KNOW is if the THCa gets decarbed in the hot water bath. It is h 2 O(xygen) after all.

I have also taken to acidifying the water on the last rinse to increase the polarity of the water, just to (in my theory) help clean the oil. I've read that acidification will decarb. True?

Thanks y'all!
pinkus is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:43 PM #2
pinkus

pinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to allpinkus is a name known to all
Bump... you Philistines.
pinkus is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2018, 07:12 AM #3
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud of
i simply slow boil my canna and coconut oil with water for 3 - 4 hours, strain, cool for oil to solidify, remove water, reheat oil with sunflower lecithin till dissolved, filter and store...

i never decarb before hand...never have...didn't even know about decarbing till a few years ago...

If you are not paranoid...then you are not paying attention...

cannabis is not a crime...

It makes me smile...I really have to do this more often...
ozzieAI is online now Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:49 AM #4
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
Decarboxylation takes place at temperatures above the boiling point of water.

So this is overall a bad idea.

Also oils and water don't mix well so this is another strike against you.

I'll pass.

Old 02-11-2018, 10:13 AM #5
ozzieAI

ozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud ofozzieAI has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post

So this is overall a bad idea.

Also oils and water don't mix well so this is another strike against you.

I'll pass.
sorry that was the point i was trying to make..the process i use decarbs...i don't do it separately

thats the point...oil and water don't mix making it easy to chill and remove the water once the oil sets...

strike against me...good on ya...been doing this for over 30 years with butter and now coconut oil...

https://www.leafly.com/news/lifestyl...ic-cannabutter

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=12895

get a grip...

If you are not paranoid...then you are not paying attention...

cannabis is not a crime...

It makes me smile...I really have to do this more often...

Old 02-11-2018, 05:12 PM #6
troutman
Seed Whore

troutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud oftroutman has much to be proud of
So you decarboxylate your buds by boiling them in water?

Old 02-11-2018, 06:02 PM #7
ozzieAI

Quote:
So you decarboxylate your buds by boiling them in water?
Yes...mixed with coconut oil or butter

Old 02-11-2018, 07:42 PM #8
pinkus

Quote:
it happens faster above 212F, but also occurs below that. And since liquids transmit heat MUCH more effectively than water, it should be done in a fraction of the time indicated with this chart.
pinkus is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:52 PM #9
igrowone

igrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud ofigrowone has much to be proud of
interesting, wonder how well it preserves terpenes
which could be quite an advantage if if it does

Old 02-11-2018, 07:54 PM #10
troutman
Seed Whore

Well hopefully you guys can post pics of your process(es) so others can see what is going on.