Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-18-2018, 11:15 PM #3951
jidoka

jidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of light
The holding power of organic matter is unaccounted for. Field soil does not have 40-50% organic matter

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-18-2018, 11:29 PM #3952
led05

led05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the roughled05 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jidoka View Post
The holding power of organic matter is unaccounted for. Field soil does not have 40-50% organic matter
bog it up

Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 PM #3953
jidoka

jidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of lightjidoka is a glorious beacon of light
Lol...and don’t think about the weight thing

Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 AM #3954
paradoxlost

paradoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Yea but you can still measure cec of organic matter using standard lab methods. So if you make a mix and get it tested, cec of OM is measured.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:50 AM #3955
jidoka

Got to agree with that in theory. What do you reckon the avg cec of organic material is? Humic and fulvic are way up there.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM #3956
Arnold.

Arnold. will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Lol...and don’t think about the weight thing
How would you recommend choosing my inputs then?

let's take another one: I badly need phosphorus for example.
How would you'd say I choose how many triple super phosphate I should add?
I'm open to sending other samples in, but I don't want to use only trail and error. There are plenty of people who did trail and error before me, so no need to re-invent the wheel I would think.

With my calculations I would end up with 12g for 5gal of potting soil.

This is the reasoning:
- I want to add 1160 ppm of P to get closer to K.
- 19.3% of the weight of TSP is P so I need 1160/0.19 = 6000ppm of TSP.
- 5 gal potting soil, oven dried + sieved equals 2000g.
- 2000 * 0.006 = 12g of TSP for 5gal of potting soil.

I'll use more gypsum indeed. I need to push out the K, Mg and Na first. I will try to do this with acidified low ppm rain water + gypsum + a little P.

Thanks for sharing your take

Old 02-19-2018, 03:10 PM #3957
paradoxlost

paradoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura aboutparadoxlost has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Got to agree with that in theory. What do you reckon the avg cec of organic material is? Humic and fulvic are way up there.
Around 1000 meq per gram. Clay gets around 10 to 50. Sand is about 5.

I've worked in a soils lab and done CEC lab work. OM is counted.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:14 PM #3958
jidoka

So what am I missing? If 40% of your mix is organic material how can your cec for the total not be around 400 plus whatever other contribution?

This is something I have not understood since I started this.

Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM #3959
reppin2c

reppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the roughreppin2c is a jewel in the rough
Didn't we talk about peat having a crazy high CEC but the test wasn't showing it?

Old 02-19-2018, 08:16 PM #3960
Pangea

Pangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nicePangea is just really nice
I brought it up on page 7^ way back!
Bulk Density. meq/100g vs meq container volume.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cec-of-soils-2-en.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	446856

Thread Closed