Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > If UV light stimulates trichome production then why.....

Thread Title Search
If UV light stimulates trichome production then why..... Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2019, 03:56 AM #1
brown_thumb

brown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant futurebrown_thumb has a brilliant future
If UV light stimulates trichome production then why.....

If UV light stimulates trichome production then why do I consistently see more sugar on deep inner leaves completely shaded from light?
brown_thumb is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 06:24 AM #2
CowboyTed

CowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really niceCowboyTed is just really nice
The plant doesn't just produce additional trichomes where the light shines. The light isn't producing the additional trichomes directly.

The plant produces more trichomes, all over, because the plant is healthy and thriving. It is thriving (at least in part) because of the uv light.

Uv does produce more trichomes, but the effect is indirect.
CowboyTed is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 12:22 PM #3
Lost in a SOG
~~ex Atlantean~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
The effect is on a genetic level. UV activates important genes for plant maturation.
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 01:10 PM #4
Carraxe

Carraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in a SOG View Post
The effect is on a genetic level. UV activates important genes for plant maturation.

Any scientific background supporting that?
I've read a lot about UV in growing weed and I've found contradictory results.
Carraxe is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 01:13 PM #5
robotwithdreams

robotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nicerobotwithdreams is just really nice
The idea proposed is not so much the increase in the density of the actual trichomes. The idea is that use of uvb will result in higher production of thca in the trichomes.

I too have noticed flowers on the bottom seem too have better terpene content and higher trichome coverage sometimes. I think that happens to me when hps is too close to tops, and the ir heat is impacting the top parts of plant in subtle negative ways, i.e, maybe fewer trichomes, definitely lower terpenes.
robotwithdreams is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 03:48 PM #6
Lost in a SOG
~~ex Atlantean~~

Lost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant futureLost in a SOG has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraxe View Post
Any scientific background supporting that?
I've read a lot about UV in growing weed and I've found contradictory results.
Yes but its a bit complicated as published cannabis research is still lacking a bit and loads of people have thought UVs to be a holy grail and kind of applied them wrong.

If you search for genetic effects of uvs on plants on ncbi.com you'll find lots of research in this field, imo the research on other plants is applicable to cannabis. It is widely proven and acknowledged that in all plants that produce terpenes/phenols/flavonoids/alkaloids etc protective secondary metabolite substances (which i think is all plants?) uvs induce epigenetic changes that increase a range of antioxidant protective substances based on the intensity of the spectrum at different bands. It appears from a glut of studies the UVs modulate the terpenes based on which absorb at the exact spectrum you are hitting them with.

If you know the absorbance spectra of the terpene you want you can increase it by getting diodes that hit that peak because the plant upregulates its synthesis obviously. This will come at a cost to energy going into other terps. Basically one of the big differences between ganja grown outside in different parts of the world. Like that amazing hawaiian weed, anyone ever thought about passed on genetic changes from that lovely Hawaiian sun and sunsets..

Cannabis isnt very different at all from basil or thyme or rosemary, mint etc etc in this regard.

Also the far red and infrared spectrum delivered in the dawn light helps plants use the UVs throughout the day without being harmed as much or at all.

Honestly I rarely run around providing research for anyone.. ive done too many courses and it triggers me to be forced to provide research papers for someone.. fucking dissertations..
Lost in a SOG is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 03:50 PM #7
St. Phatty

St. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivorSt. Phatty is a survivor
I would bet $$ (but I get better odds, since I'm going out on a limb) that the trichomes have multiple functions.

One - the Trichomes help cool the plant. The plant has its own pin-fin heat exchanger.

And, the stickiness helps trap pollen.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:51 PM #8
Drewsif

Drewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of lightDrewsif is a glorious beacon of light
So it's a genetic response. Meaning trichs are the same throughout the plant?

Hard to believe when I've seen dead stalks with living shoots at the extreme nodes.
Drewsif is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 08:03 PM #9
Douglas.Curtis
Autistic Diplomat in Training

Douglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond reputeDouglas.Curtis has a reputation beyond repute
I agree with the IR/HPS heat reducing trichome production. Definitely looking forward to lighting without the intense IR.

The "UV produces more trichomes" theory I do not buy into. As Lost in a Sog pointed out, it's likely more to do with what goes on inside the trichomes. In my experience, trichome density has muuuuch more to do with environmental factors other than UV.

As for stickiness permanently trapping pollen, keeping it from ever pollinating anything. I never understood how this would be a function a plant would want. Interesting I've heard about this from nearly the first moment I began researching cultivation. And nearly 20 years later, it's still being quoted.

I can see trichomes acting as a heat sink. lol What are the thermal conduction abilities of cannabinoids and terpenes? lol Love it.
Douglas.Curtis is offline Quote

Old 05-27-2019, 12:45 AM #10
Carraxe

Carraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to beholdCarraxe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in a SOG View Post
Yes but its a bit complicated as published cannabis research is still lacking a bit and loads of people have thought UVs to be a holy grail and kind of applied them wrong.

If you search for genetic effects of uvs on plants on ncbi.com you'll find lots of research in this field, imo the research on other plants is applicable to cannabis. It is widely proven and acknowledged that in all plants that produce terpenes/phenols/flavonoids/alkaloids etc protective secondary metabolite substances (which i think is all plants?) uvs induce epigenetic changes that increase a range of antioxidant protective substances based on the intensity of the spectrum at different bands. It appears from a glut of studies the UVs modulate the terpenes based on which absorb at the exact spectrum you are hitting them with.

If you know the absorbance spectra of the terpene you want you can increase it by getting diodes that hit that peak because the plant upregulates its synthesis obviously. This will come at a cost to energy going into other terps. Basically one of the big differences between ganja grown outside in different parts of the world. Like that amazing hawaiian weed, anyone ever thought about passed on genetic changes from that lovely Hawaiian sun and sunsets..

Cannabis isnt very different at all from basil or thyme or rosemary, mint etc etc in this regard.

Also the far red and infrared spectrum delivered in the dawn light helps plants use the UVs throughout the day without being harmed as much or at all.

Honestly I rarely run around providing research for anyone.. ive done too many courses and it triggers me to be forced to provide research papers for someone.. fucking dissertations..

It didn't answer my question. Any science backing that? Just a single scientific paper will do. "IMOs" don't.

Cheers
Carraxe is offline Quote