Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Hydro Grow LEDs > Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting

Thread Title Search
Penetrator Quantum - R&D For a New Era in Lighting Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-26-2019, 04:44 AM #91
Rocket Soul

Rocket Soul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGrowLeds View Post
View Image

For some wavelengths the performance was very similar between LED packages, and for others the output (umol) or voltage changed which was most noticed in blue wavelengths. The chips were identical for each LED package, so the data changes are a result of the package.

I will now use this data to determine how many LEDs of each wavelength I need to achieve our 75% red, 15% green and 10% blue ratios. After that I will design a PCB layout for our prototype. To make the prototyping process faster I am simply taking a pre-existing PCB being sold and applying my spectrum to it. From there I will do PPFD testing.
Hey there HGL

Nice to see these tests. I wonder what is your take on the red values you got?
Rocket Soul is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 06:44 AM #92
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Soul View Post
Hey there HGL

Nice to see these tests. I wonder what is your take on the red values you got?
I'm not sure what you're asking specifically. If you're asking can I visually see an intensity difference from one LED to the next that corresponds with the numbers being recorded, the answer is yes. Testing with the same sphere and sensor in the past have produced SPD charts within a 4% margin of error. Based on that I'd say they're pretty accurate from the standpoint of relativity. I also know from comparing this sensor to Li-Cor, that at low umol readings (under 100) the readings are almost identical (within 1-2 umol).
HydroGrowLeds is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 07:38 AM #93
Rocket Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroGrowLeds View Post
I'm not sure what you're asking specifically. If you're asking can I visually see an intensity difference from one LED to the next that corresponds with the numbers being recorded, the answer is yes. Testing with the same sphere and sensor in the past have produced SPD charts within a 4% margin of error. Based on that I'd say they're pretty accurate from the standpoint of relativity. I also know from comparing this sensor to Li-Cor, that at low umol readings (under 100) the readings are almost identical (within 1-2 umol).
The readings seem anomalous. And in a regular way across different diodes. From the datasheet you would expect 660nm be at least on par with 640nm. Which makes me believe your meter is off by about 25% when it comes to 660nm measurements. What meter do you use?
If you have access to Li-cor brand, why dont you use it? They have the most reliable response curve on the market if i understand correctly

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-26-2019, 10:18 AM #94
mr.brunch

mr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivormr.brunch is a survivor
All sounds very technical... can’t wait to see the grow results

https://www.jackherer.com/thebook/

Originally posted by jimmy cliff:

Well they tell me ‘bout the pie up in the sky,
Waiting for me when I die
But between the day you’re born and when you die,
They never seem to hear even your cry.
So as soon as the sun
Will shine,
I'm gonna get my share of
What's mine.
And then the harder they come ,
The harder they fall,
One and all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post

Put out the joint, step away from the computer and go for a walk.
Current: csg dead chem head- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=360280

Mars hydro ts1000 test- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362526

csg triangle cheesedog x London church testers- https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=362387
mr.brunch is online now Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 12:08 PM #95
Rocket Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethimus View Post
The sensor used is a cheap Light Scout that can‘t detect much from 650nm upwards, that‘s why the 660nm readings are so much lower. But she will clearly have a smart ass answer on how that is no problem at all...
With all due respect i think HGL can answer this one.

Mr Brunch: have a look at the thread on RIU. Serach Hgl hlg on riu and it should pop up. Hybridway2 is the grower. Contrary to what presented here it looks more even than either light winning. But i find it very disingenuous to say HGL is winning when the lights are using almost twice the wattage as the other side. 308w versus 575w. Thats like saying my 1000w HPS is winning over 600w without mentioning wattage.

Old 05-26-2019, 12:44 PM #96
Kree73

Kree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the roughKree73 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab.C View Post
I agree MrBrunch i went and checked out RIU to do a thread for HydroGrowLed.
my First post Trolls were there.and i wasnt there for the Drama just too grow

i read there is more traffic there.but Icmag is the best forum out there. because it's the members that make the forum.
Seems like Icmag is the place to be
Kree73 is offline Quote

Old 05-26-2019, 06:33 PM #97
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

HydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really niceHydroGrowLeds is just really nice
Quote:
The readings seem anomalous. And in a regular way across different diodes. From the datasheet you would expect 660nm be at least on par with 640nm. Which makes me believe your meter is off by about 25% when it comes to 660nm measurements. What meter do you use?
If you have access to Li-cor brand, why dont you use it? They have the most reliable response curve on the market if i understand correctly
660nm readings have always been lower than 640nm in every test we've ever run, whether with the Li-Cor or the LightScout meter. Why do I use the LightScout? Mostly because you can't alter the readings on it. On a Li-Cor you can change the calibration settings to make it spit out whatever numbers you want. As stated in my prior response, I've tested both meters against each other with this sphere and countless LEDs. I've also tested my final spectral ratio calculations against SPD charts where there is less than a 4% margin of error. So people can draw whatever opinions they want, but my opinions are based on recorded data and the comparative analysis thereof, not speculation or manufacturer specifications. It is true Li-Cor has perhaps the best response curve on the market, but in terms of my own testing there isn't enough statistical difference to say how much better it actually is, nor do spec sheets tell you the whole story (which is why I do my own testing).

I'm more fond of the Lightscout than I am the Li-Cor. The cable on the Li-Cor sensor is a weak point, which has broken in the past and costs a ridiculous amount of money to fix. The sensor is also bulkier, cables longer, and hand unit bulkier. More prone to breaking, expensive to fix, bulkier unit, heavier sensor, longer cable that gets in the way... many reasons I don't like it which I have expressed to Li-Cor. And yet here we are a decade after I tested my first Li-Cor and absolutely nothing has changed about the product. None of the engineering flaws have been fixed, prices are still ridiculous and the company could care less.

Old 05-26-2019, 07:26 PM #98
OneHitDone

OneHitDone will become famous soon enoughOneHitDone will become famous soon enough
Quote:
With all due respect i think HGL can answer this one.

Mr Brunch: have a look at the thread on RIU. Serach Hgl hlg on riu and it should pop up. Hybridway2 is the grower. Contrary to what presented here it looks more even than either light winning. But i find it very disingenuous to say HGL is winning when the lights are using almost twice the wattage as the other side. 308w versus 575w. Thats like saying my 1000w HPS is winning over 600w without mentioning wattage.
Brother Hybridway2 is matching the lights in the best way to satisfy the actual plants in his garden.
We are seeing the result of each spectrum at similar intensity.
Sure he could turn the HLG up to full blast but then what? Screw it to the ceiling? Raise it to the stratosphere to get a center par reading the plants will actually accept? That surely isn't a well thought out fixture for the home / tent grower.
Plus if you had been following along you would see where the original comparison was supposed to be between 4 HGL 84X and 2 HLG 360 Elite's, not a new unreleased model. I personally am not taking any sides in this and Stephen is a great guy but is sounds like maybe his knees were shaking a bit or why offer up the new unreleased light after test parameters were already chosen?

I wish everyone would just bite their tongue and hold judgment till those running the tests are actually finished budding under them. Then we will see for good or bad for HGL what the outcome is.

And after all that, it's kind of obvious by the thread your in that HGL has a new fixture in the works that will satisfy those looking for a light with a more uniform footprint and a lower cost than the current offerings.

I just don't understand why led has to consistently get people more worked up than even politics or religion
OneHitDone is offline Quote

Old 05-27-2019, 01:49 PM #99
kushedy

kushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of lightkushedy is a glorious beacon of light
I doubt his knees were/are shaking. Samsung diodes have been proven to grow large healthy plants. In order for HGL to come out on top in that grow off their lights will have to significantly out yield the HLG lights. Otherwise what would be the point using a light system (HGL) that uses more wattage?
I’m keeping an eye on that thread, should be interesting.
kushedy is offline Quote

Old 05-27-2019, 05:26 PM #100
HydroGrowLeds
Grow Light Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushedy View Post
I doubt his knees were/are shaking. Samsung diodes have been proven to grow large healthy plants. In order for HGL to come out on top in that grow off their lights will have to significantly out yield the HLG lights. Otherwise what would be the point using a light system (HGL) that uses more wattage?
I’m keeping an eye on that thread, should be interesting.
The HLG light will be set to full blast for the bloom comparison I am told. Why it is not already, only the grower can explain to you. He thinks the plants can't handle 800-1200 umol of light, but every scientific research study on the DLI for Cannabis states otherwise. Almost every other grower out there using our products will state otherwise. But you can't argue with growers, they're always right about whatever is going on their own gardens. Trying to convince him of any of this was futile, so I'm letting him do what he pleases, rather than growing with our lights at their optimal settings.

Now in response to your question about wattage... Please go back and read page 1 of this thread. The reason HLG is lower on cost, is that the LEDs they are using are incredibly cheap compared to our own. White LEDs also consume higher voltage, so it's easier to create higher watts with them using fewer LEDs, and the only thing proven about them is they give you similar results to HID rather than better.

SMD LEDs have a much lower cost per watt (even though you're using more of them) than 3W. They also have a higher efficiency per watt because there is less heat per chip. So we are developing a new light that can compete on a cost per watts basis. I just got my preliminary pricing back last night from the bulk of my suppliers (I have over 18 factories I work with that produce all our components) and can say that the cost per watt on these new fixtures will be dramatically lower than our current models. For example our 140W 84X model at $449 could be replaced by a 160W model at $299-$349. More watts, less cost, higher efficiency, more coverage and a more even spread of PPFD over the covered area. By the end of the comparison grow our new lights will be available to order. So when our 84X models win, you'll have a more powerful, cheaper option to purchase that will make the difference in results on the next comparison that much greater (which is already scheduled).