What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Stressed Tipd

BloomBlood

Hi farmers, this week I've noticed a few of my girls are showing signs of stess on the tips and new growth. New leaves are skinny and twisted and look stunted. I'm growing outdoors in a home made living soil which consists of home made veg compost and worm castings(50%), good organic quality soil/compost from my local nursery(30%) (this contains mostly more worm castings and veg compost plus fish emulsion, saw dust and wood ash), coconut husk 10% and 10% perlite. I realise the mix is lacking some rock dust and other minerals but that's not so easy to get here in Costa Rica. To help try to compensate this my veg compost has ground egg shells and wood ash in there.
I tested the soil yesterday and the average PH was 6.4 so that all seems to be on track. Only thing I've introduced this week is Technafloras Seaweed Extract powder and epsom salts both as a foiler and soil drench(on separate days), both things I used sparingly and at about half the recommended ratios. Another possible factor is the temperature has gone up a few degrees but it's pretty warm all year around so shouldn't be a big shock to them.
My solution is to just water with dechlorinated PH'd water for a couple weeks and let them be but I would like more opinions.
I appreciate any advice you guys have ?

Attachments

• 0810200853.jpg
    0810200853.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 25
  • 0810200854.jpg
    0810200854.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0810200854a.jpg
    0810200854a.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 28
  • 0810200857.jpg
    0810200857.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 25

40degsouth

Hi BloomBlood,
I don’t mean to sound alarmist but have you scoped for mites, like russets??
They are very small and hard to see; you will probably see the egg sacks rather than the mite itself.
I hope I’m wrong,

BloomBlood

I just checked again with the scope and from what I can tell no mites, I do a weekly preventative spray alternating each week from Azamax then the following week an organic garlic based insecticide that's made locally I also recently did a soil soak of Azamax as a preventative against fungus gnats.

The kelp extract I just introduced is npk 0-0-17 so it's heavy on potassium, it may be a toxicity from that or salt build up from introducing the epsom salts but I highly doubt it I went light with both but it is possible.

The fan has been quite close and aggressive so that plus the heat spike could be the problem too, I'm not running it during the day anyone and on the lowest setting at night so we'll see if that helps.

This is what happens at night when they are sleeping and was the first indication something wasn't right, middle leaf tips standing straight up.

Possible salt over load?

Attachments

• 0810202003a.jpg
    0810202003a.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 26

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I bounce my air circulation off the opposite wall in my tent (at an angle), never directly on the plant.

calisun

I agree with Noonin. Looks like a root problem from over watering. You may have standing water under your soil mix. I would did down somewhere it won't disturb the roots too much and check that. I would also do a peculation test near your plants in the native soil too. Could be pests too. Your scope has to be high powered to see russets and broad mites. They are smaller than spider mites.