What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Oregon growing ?

Rose56

We just moved to coastal southern Oregon(North Bend) and I am planning on starting my first out door crop. I have grown in Southern Ca for years but the climate is very different. Any advice, tips would be greatly appreciated

PDX Dopesmoker

Anything that you need to harvest after around he end of September can be an iffy proposition, but sometimes the weather is pretty OK in the fall and you can grow 12 week stuff. Photoperiod plants that don't start flowering by the middle of August might not really quite finish up completely.
Are you going to be growing in the ground or in pots?

Rose56

I was thinking in ground. I have heard the soil in my area was very good. I am thinking of starting mid March in a green house and then transfer to the ground. I also will need good fencing to keep the deer away. We're not in LA anymore.

St. Phatty

It's possible to get a small crop using late winter early spring lighting. Plenty of sun, 12/12 or 11/13 photoperiod, just a little cold.

But it's good to keep the plant containers small so you can move them indoors on cold nights.

I was about to transplant from 2 or 3 gallon pots into 5 or 6 gallon pots ... then it got cold again.

Since I'm moving the plants outdoors every time it gets sunny, and indoors every time it gets cold - I'm glad I didn't transplant them - and I'll have some meds harvested around April.

Rose56

Have not started them yet I was waiting until mid March to start. When we drove up here last year there was a fantastic grow along side the freeway. This was September and they looked to be close to harvest.

petert

I always start my cuttings for summer planting in mid-Feb early March and use supplemental lighting,plant after May 10 depending on the strain.. if it’s super sensitive (Oregon Diesel, or some OGS strains) I’ll wait till after June 1.
I’m in the Columbia Gorge north central Oregon. I grow in a green house and outdoors. I always put my fast finishers outdoors. Going light dep with half of my greenhouse this year!

Kaskadian

Veteran
I think you'll do great outdoors in Bend. I'm a bit north of you, but I run into a LOT of rain issues starting around the end of September, early October. Luckily in Bend you get significantly more sun than us growers in the North of the state. Up around where I'm living anything going past the end of September starts to make me nervous as PM and budrot becomes a serious issue. After late September the weather becomes a roll of the dice. You can see my outdoor grow from last season in my signature.

I'd take shortening days and cold into consideration when making strain choices. Unless you're growing in a climate controlled greenhouse, I wouldn't risk going past Mid October outdoors, so I'd be looking at 8-9 week strains primarily. I know a few growers out your way that have run 10-11 weekers, but they were utilizing greenhouses to extend their growing season.

petert

I think you'll do great outdoors in Bend. I'm a bit north of you, but I run into a LOT of rain issues starting around the end of September, early October. Luckily in Bend you get significantly more sun than us growers in the North of the state. Up around where I'm living anything going past the end of September starts to make me nervous as PM and budrot becomes a serious issue. After late September the weather becomes a roll of the dice. You can see my outdoor grow from last season in my signature.

I'd take shortening days and cold into consideration when making strain choices. Unless you're growing in a climate controlled greenhouse, I wouldn't risk going past Mid October outdoors, so I'd be looking at 8-9 week strains primarily. I know a few growers out your way that have run 10-11 weekers, but they were utilizing greenhouses to extend their growing season.

He said North Bend on the south central coast. Not Bend central Oregon.

Anything east side or east slope of the cascades is going to be way better than west side from Roseburg on up to PDX

I’m 55 miles east is PDX (Hood River/Mosier area)in the gorge and had zero mold issues last year.

Bend has some freeze/frost issues by end of Sept cause of elevation which can also lead to mild problems!

PDX Dopesmoker

I haven't had to deal with mold on any outdoor plants in the Willamette valley yet. Its bortytis spread by those green caterpillars that will ruin bud

Kaskadian

Veteran
I haven't had to deal with mold on any outdoor plants in the Willamette valley yet. Its bortytis spread by those green caterpillars that will ruin bud

Those things are the devil... I lost a few really nice buds from those bastards last season. A few growers I know blast their plants with BT throughout the season — I don’t know much about BT, but I know how heartbreaking finding those little guys on a nice cola.

therevverend

Veteran
West of the coastal ranges is mold alley. From San Fran to Astoria you want to be inland.
The problem isn't just the chances of a cool wet September. Through the summer there's lots of wet morning fog and rain will blow in off the Pacific. Check out your local weather reports, how often it rains, what the highs and lows are. You may have to adjust your strains accordingly.
In Arcata, Eureka, Fort Bragg, Coos Bay, no one grows outdoors. Even 5-10 miles inland can make a huge difference it's all about the micro climates. In some spots the fog burns off by 8, in others it sticks around until noon. You're in North Bend but if you're even a bit further inland from the ocean it could make a huge difference.

BigNoise

Experience: 2 outdoor seasons
Advice: Pick hardy strains. Expect to lose some to mold/rot.

I have an assortment of Bodhi, KC Brains, and Hybrids From Hell genetics. I picked them because those guys breed outdoors, and the strains I picked were recommended for such.

I've let some sativa dominant stuff (KC) go to second week of November, and it had VERY little mold/rot loss...certainly much less than indica stuff chopped in late September. The November stuff went through some HEAVY wind and rain, but good genes and open bud structure seemed to shrug it off.

PDX Dopesmoker

Experience: 2 outdoor seasons
Advice: Pick hardy strains. Expect to lose some to mold/rot.

I have an assortment of Bodhi, KC Brains, and Hybrids From Hell genetics. I picked them because those guys breed outdoors, and the strains I picked were recommended for such.

I've let some sativa dominant stuff (KC) go to second week of November, and it had VERY little mold/rot loss...certainly much less than indica stuff chopped in late September. The November stuff went through some HEAVY wind and rain, but good genes and open bud structure seemed to shrug it off.

I had some stuff that went until around Thanksgiving last fall too, but last year was a pretty easy season. 2016 fall was nonstop rain in October around Portland, nothing I had really did anything other than rot and die after the start of October. 2015 I had stuff outside until November too.

BigNoise

I didn't have any plants last year. I did in 2015 and 2016 however, so I had plants go through those rains you speak of @PDX. I'm in an area that gets a good bit more rain than Portland too.

PDX Dopesmoker

Most of what I had still on the vine in October 2016 just melted from botrytis. It was like watching a horror movie in slow motion.
Sound like you had better strain selection than I did or healthier plants. What strains managed to make it into November after the record setting wettest October in 125 years of Oregon's recorded weather history? If its not strain selection are you using other tricks to beat the bad weather problems?

therevverend

Veteran
There's quite a big difference between the coastal hills, the Williamette Valley, Eugene, Portland, The Gorge. The southern Willamette is good. Eugene has warm summers.
As you go north by Salem it's getting quite a bit wetter. It seems like quite a bit of moisture gets sucked through to Portland by the Columbia. As others have noted Portland has good years and bad. Even in a bad year if you're on the ball you can make out ok. Astoria is especially wet, terrible for ganja. Good for mushrooms.
The Gorge can be nice further east. The heavy winds can cause damage but blow away a lot of moisture. The entire west coast has so many micro climates. Gaps in mountain ranges and bodies of water cause convergence zones that can cause terrible weather. I've seen big differences in spots only 5 or 10 miles apart.

BigNoise

@PDX I give full credit for my success so far to the breeders (KC, Bodhi, HFH), and all the people here at ICmag who helped educate a newb and point him in the right direction as far as initial strain selection for a soggy wet growing environment.

The ones that went into November were KC Brains, specifically, KC33 and Mango. There seems to be some earlier, more indica phenos (from what I've read) in those lines, as well as the later, more sativa ones (which is what all of mine have been).

The KC33 especially is a VERY impressive plant. SUPER vigorous, SUPER hardy, and easily the stalk diameter champ in the garden. 11 feet tall, 7-8 feet wide grown in amended native soil, 6-8 feet spacing in the garden. I'm confident I could get a 12x10 one without trouble if I gave it room. Even though it had very light buds, and an open plant structure overall, its sheer size and number of bud sites gave me just over a pound. It didn't start flowering until equinox, so it only went for 7 weeks, which is wayyy early, but I figured I was pushing my luck regarding weather, as well as diminishing growth/light. It still ended up a nice productive daytime smoke. Started in pots on May 1st.

My 2016 grow actually had some homemade crosses from 2015 in the mix...

HFH Polish Demon (very good strain on its own)
X
KC33

This one finished mid-late October if I remember right, so a bit earlier than pure 33, and ended up with fatter, denser (though still fluffy/open-ish) buds. Really ended up being an earlier, more potent 33, which I was quite happy about.

HFH Polish Demon
X
Bodhi Blueberry Hashplant

This one had very dense buds, and finished last week September to second week October or so.

All the other HFH stuff I ran finished way earlier, last week August to mid September, so mold/rot isn't much of an issue with them.

Latest posts

Latest posts