What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I used systemic pesticide , should I throw it away ?

baxbax

Hello , one month a go I treated one plant with pesticide call : Thiamethoxam , which is systemic pesticide and stay in leaft and plant juice for some time , It worked great and killed aphids and chewing pests , after one month of application still plant has resistance to pests . I have 4 month left to harvest , I have concern is this safe to harvest and smoke it 5 month after I used systemic pesticide like thiamethoxam ? manufacture site says it's preharvest days for tobacco is 14 days , but i'm not sure for cannabis

4wiq_123.png

I think you have nothing to worry about as tobacco would be a good comparison in that it is smoked not eaten. 5 months is 150 days so you should be fine.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
With systemic pesdicies, it's a good idea to look at the half-life time.

Looked that stuff up, and it got a half-life time in soil at 229 days. Thats a long time, it stays in the plant.

Normaly I would not use a pesticide on a crop, with a half-life time above the flowertime.
Like Floramit for spidermites, got a half life time around 57 days as I recall. And still I'd only use it in veg, never in flower.

>>Half-Life
Half-life is defined as the time (in days, weeks or years) required for half of the pesticide present after an application to break down into degradation products. This time is often expressed as a range (for example, 1-3 days, 2-4 years, etc.) because the rate of pesticide breakdown depends on a variety of factors including temperature, soil pH, soil microbe content and whether or not the pesticide is exposed to light, water and oxygen. It is worth noting that many of the breakdown products themselves are toxic and may have significant half-lives as well. There are several different types of half-lives:

Soil half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade in soil. This half-life is governed by the types of soil organisms that are present that can break down the pesticide, the soil type (e.g., sand, loam, clay), pH, and temperature. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with an aerobic soil half-life greater than 690 days or an anaerobic soil half-life greater than 9 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
Photolysis half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade from exposure to light. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with a hydrolysis half-life greater than 14 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
Hydrolysis half-life: The amount of time required for half of the pesticide to degrade from reaction with water. The California Department of Pesticide Regulation has determined that pesticides with a hydrolysis half-life greater than 14 days have potential to contaminate groundwater.
For more about how California Department of Pesticide Regulation uses these physical properties to regulate pesticides as groundwater contaminants, see the California Regulations page.<< http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Docs/ref_waterair1.html#Halflife

baxbax

I doomed badly by this shit , could transplant help ? plant was in 7 gallon fabric pot when I foliar sprayed with thiamethoxam , recently I transplant it to 25 gallon pot .

T

Teddybrae

There's a formula that has never failed me and I am not young. it is this:

If in doubt chuck it out!

and I see by the title of yr post that you have doubts about what you've done ...

cheers from Oz!

Granger2

Veteran
Natural,
What makes you so sure? Its half life is 229 days. That means that after 229 days half of the pesticide is still in the plant. -granger

Natural,
What makes you so sure? Its half life is 229 days. That means that after 229 days half of the pesticide is still in the plant. -granger
The half life in plant tissue is usually considerably less than in soil as the molecule is metabolised by the plant. Thiamethoxam is only mildly toxic to mammals in general, and moderately toxic if swallowed. The withholding periods for tomatoes and citrus are 6 and 7 weeks respectively, and these are eaten. Tobacco is 14 days after spraying as previously mentioned. Considering the time frame is around 150 days before the plant will be consumed, I believe the plant (and the cuttings) would be safe.

Dirt Bag

To what did you apply it? (&#55356;&#57270;Dear Liza, Dear Liza)
Soil? Foliarly? (is that even a word?) what media and method of application? Did you mix concentrate yourself or is it premixed?

baxbax

To what did you apply it? (��Dear Liza, Dear Liza)
Soil? Foliarly? (is that even a word?) what media and method of application? Did you mix concentrate yourself or is it premixed?

I sprayed it to leaves , it is very possible some drops drip to soil from leaves into 7 gall pot , from what I read it's half life time ( thiamethoxam ) in ph of 8 is only few days , but more stable in acidic ph , and it's half life in plant tissue is few hours , I was flushing with ph of +8 include high ph clay tea trying to bring up my ph from 5.6 to 7 because i had ca mg def (did not know about this thiamethoxam) . after lots of ph +8 flush ph jump up to +7 and I transplant it into 6.2 peatmoss soil 25 gall pot ,
I emailed to syngenta technical support center and ask for residual of pesticide in tobacco , but from what I know tobacco leaves usually takes about 5 years before smoked by end user ( correct me if it's not true )

this is question and answer to manufacture support of thiamethoxam producer (syngenta) :

question :
Hello , I have a question about product ACTARA (thiamethoxam) - I'm a tobacco gardener and grow for a personal supplier , I have used ACTARA 4 month ago on plants and now I want to harvest them , just wonder is this safe to harvest these tobaccos as they will combust by end user ? Is 4 month enough time to have safe harvest of tobacco plant ? I mean the amount of pesticide residual on plants

answer :
James,

The Actara pre-harvest interval on tobacco is 14 days so it can be applied up to 14 days from harvest.

Thank you,

question :
The average age of tobacco in smokes is 5 years , but our is about 1 month , mean within 1 month leaves will cured and used by end user ( combust ) , I'm worried if this make any change in pesticide residual between our business and usual tobacco business when tobacco leaves stay usually about 5 years before used by end user , we sell fresh tobacco leaves ( 1 month old ) , this cause any difference ?

waiting for answer of this

Dirt Bag

Do not fret. None of the plant material to which you've applied will ever be consumed, and even if it were, will be long gone by then, and even if you ate it right now, the negative effects of eating raw cannabis would far outweigh the miniscule exposure provided by your application.
Unless you're a hardcore, tree hugging, man bun wearing, vegan with OCD and a hard on for dissing Bayer and the likes, don't worry about it.... And eat bacon.

baxbax

The half life in plant tissue is usually considerably less than in soil as the molecule is metabolised by the plant. Thiamethoxam is only mildly toxic to mammals in general, and moderately toxic if swallowed. The withholding periods for tomatoes and citrus are 6 and 7 weeks respectively, and these are eaten. Tobacco is 14 days after spraying as previously mentioned. Considering the time frame is around 150 days before the plant will be consumed, I believe the plant (and the cuttings) would be safe.

Natural,

Do not fret. None of the plant material to which you've applied will ever be consumed, and even if it were, will be long gone by then, and even if you ate it right now, the negative effects of eating raw cannabis would far outweigh the miniscule exposure provided by your application.
Unless you're a hardcore, tree hugging, man bun wearing, vegan with OCD and a hard on for dissing Bayer and the likes, don't worry about it.... And eat bacon.

you mean I should never smoke any part of this plant never ever ? sorry miss of understanding , or you mean it's totally same to consume or even eat this plant .

Dirt Bag

Generally the plant material grown during the vegetative stages isn't consumed. That which develops during flowering is the preferred material for consumption, which is yet to be on your plant, right? You've only applied pesticide to the parts you're not going to use. That which develops afterwards will not have been sprayed and therefore will not have pesticide on it.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
My personal grow is after a chem drench I take cuttings and mum the plants,
then take cuttings of that and flower.

If after careful analysis the product is clean then you have nothing to worry about.

Good thread.