What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Orient Express & more from the Buddhist Arc

Satyros

Hiya friends,

I'd like to open a thread at what happens to be a rather auspicious moment.

Firstly, I have been smoking the flowers since 1984, and I was turned on to hash in 1987 by a piano tuner. That one was no test drive; he shared what we could only estimate as eleventy-five hundred bowls of it.

I am in an area that is not represented in the U. S. subforum, at about 35 degrees north, in a 7b climate where it is unlikely to freeze until at least November. Have been doing bagseed grows since about '98, starting plants outside to reach only two or three feet tall, and force flowering indoors using lights that would be considered a travesty by any serious person. Although it works. So I've built all the basic chops around things like pinch off, taking cuts, hermaphrotism, and that sort of thing.

I'm pretty inexperienced about strains, and I finally decided to pursue this as a tangent to a much larger "herbs with benefits" project I do, with things like Valerian, Licorice, Ashwagandha, and so forth. Around here, you can only get what you can get, and usually no one has any clue what it might be. I think a lot of it is grossly overestimated; for instance, once, a friend shared "some kind" of sinsemilla with me, and I told him I thought it was midgrade and he said midgrade has seeds.

Well, I've had plenty of seeded stuff that seems to have blown away a lot of sinsemilla or named varieties. As the "nameds" started going around, someone grew an AK47 or 8 that wasn't too impressive. One time another guy was trying to settle an unrelated score and offered me a dime bag of Strawberry Cough as part of it. I looked at this little corner of a bag and was like, ok I'll take that. Oh, no, you can't have all of it! I wound up with like two bowls and I can't say it was particularly impressive either. Right now, I can get something that smells like perfume, it kind of hits, it kind of creeps, it kind of goes to the head, it kind of goes to the body, but it doesn't do very much of any of those.

So, in looking at my cultural interests, it includes that tract of earth which goes from the Pamirs, across North India, down towards Southeast Asia, and from what I am able to research about genetics, it sounds as good a starting point as any.

I understand about the Afghani types of smokes, and I like that just fine, but, right now I'm trying to experiment with mostly other things whose roots range across that area beside it. I almost bought a ten pack of "something", but once I realized some places would be willing to let me get two or three seeds of different things, that's the route I chose. I kind of tried to span the spectrum from the skunky to pure "sativa" and from basics to poly-hybrids, in hopes of forming any kind of taste or opinions about these things.

The reason this is an auspicious moment is because the final strain in this menu just sprouted. The different thing I am strongly considering now, is to use the sun for flowering; so, more or less looking for input from anyone who knows these particular ones, and/or perhaps outdoor growing.

Edelweiss. This is a skunky one with "something" from North India. I was intrigued that the Swiss grew it outdoors all over the place. This one is perhaps best indoors? No Alpine climate here, I'm sure of that.

Kiss Dragon. A Nepali sativa crossed with Black Domina, which itself is a blend of about four skunkish kinds.

Orient Express. Researching this is what led me to IC, already a great thread on it. The difference for me here, is that I mistakenly ordered regular seeds, but I got three of them. As long as there's at least one female, I might put it to seed--I don't think this strain is going away any time soon, so perhaps it's not a bad idea to try using this as an actual breeding stock here at the homestead?

Mekong High. A mostly sativa blend from Laos and Vietnam. I believe I saw somewhere around here that it is discontinued, and there were only feminized seeds available when I checked. I can understand that large sativa varieties are less viable on a commercial basis.

Sex Bud. No, it's not from the same area at all, and no, I don't think it's a terrible name, and this one is a serious poly-hybrid of Cinderella 99 and White Grapefruit. If in someone's experience, those two strains are somewhat aphrodisiac, I'm willing to toss it in as a comparison.

The last two seem superficially the same, Nemesis and Himalaya Gold. Indian Sativas crossed to Nepali Indicas. Not saying their origins are in the same village, valley, or wherever. So far, the three things that have some Nepal in their background all have thicker, harder seed hulls for "shoes" and then they have "socks", a second layer of mucilage or something that binds the cotyledons together. The Nemesis was the last one of those to come up today, and it did something I've never seen before--it popped up looking like the Gateway Arch in St. Louis. Took a little adjusting, however, I've heard that a spiral shape makes a sturdier support than a root that goes "properly" straight down.

Yield is not that important to me. I understand that if I take a two week old Mekong or Himalaya plant and force flower it indoors, it will still reach five feet tall. Given the time of year, latitude, and climate, what would one expect from leaving them outside?

Thanks for any reads and replies, looks to be a good board to discuss these things.

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Welcome to the site! Sounds like you've had some fun experiences in this life and we'd love to hear more!

Satyros

Hi, thanks for the welcome.

I'm obviously too young to know anything about what went around in the 60s, 70s...but even in the 80s, one of the great things about the kind herb was that it was extremely social. They had recently started doing the "quarters" thing instead of ounces, but it was still relatively cheap enough that nobody was stingy, and it was abundant--people that barely knew you would yell at you from across the street and offer to burn with you. So it became my social life for the most part. I was a card-carrying member of a skinhead organization when I had hair halfway down my back, and was accepted in diverse circles from the Deadhead/Rainbow Gathering types, to the Hell's Angels.

Along the way, I met one friend who I'm pretty sure was the first person to get me a bag from which we rolled one and...it went out halfway through and I felt no need to relight it. As it turns out, his grandfather had started growing...in the 1930s. Pretty sure it was all outdoor, it was seedy, but fully grown nice pieces on thick stems, and he would comp your weight for the sticks/seeds, so this was more or less my "standard gauge" for many years.

There was never any talk about "what kind" it was, I wouldn't say it was really a high grade, didn't smell skunky; sometimes the pistils were orange, but it was basically all the same, reliable for, I dunno, about twelve years until the situation changed. The only possible clue was that they had spent some time in the Virgin Islands, but whether that had anything to do with the origin or variety, I really don't know.

Compared to the bagseed grows I've done from him or anybody else, on the first true leaves, I can say that the Edelweiss is definitely short and round, and the Mekong is long and straight; the others aren't really distinguishable yet, although, perhaps, Sexbud is the most vigorous out of the gate.

Satyros

Hrm, well, I saw some unusual things today.

I wanted to set up this new batch of potentially more interesting stuff in my outdoor vegging area, and flip the last (presumably Mexican) bagseed thing inside to flower.

Now I would tend to believe, that not only is Mexico not sending its native types because they consistently come up as wide leaf hash plants, but I found this last one had already sexed. It was a male so I fed it to the goats, but that leads me to believe they've got some auto-flowering thing mixed in as well; the plant was only about two months old, and we still have 14 hours of sun, 15 if you count the twilights. I've been growing the same plants from the same seedy brickweed for, maybe about four years, and never seen one do that on its own. In fact, I don't think I've seen one show sex on its own, in anything I ever did. So that was weird.

The Nemesis wasn't quite ready to make the trip. When I pulled off her shoes and socks, she was an albino. Today, there's quite a bit of light brown over the majority of the little leaves. Because it wasn't yellow, I watered it. I hope that was the right thing to do; I don't think I have ever seen a plant of any species start with that kind of discoloration. Fortunately there's enough green so that it looks like it should grow.

That makes 9/12 germinations for breeder seeds, which sounds fair for the industry standard. When you look at why something doesn't come up, it's pretty much that either not enough moisture has penetrated the hull, or else too much was present and it did germinate but rotted.

Since the three no-shows are all Nepali influenced, which seem to have a reputation as a thicker and tougher type of seed, I would think it would be worth keeping them around maybe up to a month, watering occasionally.

Satyros

I made a field assessment which has resulted in a unanimous and irrevocable decision.

Flimsy plastic is unfit for containing plants of any size.

I won't suggest there is anything inferior with the Nemesis seed or strain, but it wound up in a flimsy cup and I believe this choked its development from germination. I also noticed that, for all kinds of plants at various stages of hardening off, if it was anything in a flimsy container, it was all in the same kind of bad shape. Something about this material is just poisonous towards growing, so don't use it.

I put Nemesis in a friendlier little pot, hopefully it will start chirping, but it is not much past seedling stage. On par with duplicates that sprouted, making second plants for Mekong, Sexbud, Kiss Dragon. Also including a couple of the free (regular) goodies, Seedsman Hindu Kush x #1 Skunk and also an Afghan landrace from near the Uzbek border. Now on the subject of that one, I understand that sometimes you get jumping beans that travel from cup to cup, but unless two seeds really went in there somehow, one seed sprouted two plants.

One of the Orient Express appears to mimic Edelweiss; suspect this would be a Yunnan phenotype.

Satyros

To the good, it looks like Nemesis will keep going.

The first casualty came in, the likely Yunnan phenotype is in slight disarray. Proximal cause of death: stem chewed by a grasshopper. I know they did it cause I saw 'em hoppin' away. It hadn't been down more than a couple hours, so, trying to re-root it in some water as I don't have any powder right now.

It has been really bright here this past week, and I will have to credit Orient Express, Mekong High, and Sex Bud for dealing well with strong sun at a very young age. The others seemed to want more shade. Himalayan Gold appears to be the rangiest/wildest looking, everything else got very even and regular; it might not like any heat since it's a mountain plant.

Satyros

Everything good so far, the Mekong noticeably outgrows the rest. Maybe the one (Yunnan?) Orient Express will re-root. Excluding that, this batch will contain:

2x Orient Express (regular)
2x Kiss Dragon
2x Mekong High
2X Sexbud
1x Himalaya Gold
1x Hindu Kush Skunk
1x Nemesis
1x Edelweiss
Afghan landrace--not sure? I separated the two sprouts, and, so far, they seem identical. *Maybe* some seed stuck to my fingers when I sowed, but this one honestly seems like two plants from one seed.

From further research, I see that, of all people, Willie Nelson shares quite similar interests, Vietnam and Nepal. But the specific cross does not seem to be available.

In the future, it seems like landraces (i. e., The Real Seed Company) are looking good, plus I asked my nose.

I read a lot of things where people say cannabis smells like lemon or some other type of fruit. In my shallow experience, I have *never* smelled lemon or fruit. In fact, I'd surmise the one that smelled like perfume, may not have been due to the plant, but, considering who we got it from, it may have been "masked" by some actual perfume and retained the scent.

So, since I don't identify "fruit" as a cannabis smell, I asked myself, what can you identify? It seemed to me this:

Generic cannabis smell (similar to hops)
Skunk (if this needs an explanation, you haven't found it yet)
Pine (I guess this is what some people called "Christmas tree?")
Pepper verging towards peppermint

and that is all. But I think the nose knows.

After my 3rd-generation seller became unavailable, I wound up with a younger guy, who sold two things, what he called schwag and chronic. It was the same price for a quarter of one, or an ounce of the other; guess which?

So, schwag, I agreed. I can understand someone selling that stuff, but I can't understand anyone buying it. According to this definition, it means one thing: no resin. When you rolled it, you might as well have rolled the paper in a circle. It had no additional scent, and no resin streaks on the paper as you smoked it. So no effect. Whether that was "wild hemp" or whatever, I don't know, but at least cheap brickweed has *some* resin to it, even if it is almost no THC, and weak for what it is, only leaving a few streaks on a joint, right around where it is burning. I never bought any "schwag", but I tried it, and found it to be basically smoking paper with no effect.

The "chronic", well, I guess that's actually the name of a strain, and possibly what it actually was. Seemed like a 50/50 blend, probably all cloned, it seemed like I bought the same bag for about three years. It had the generic/hops scent, and it was never anything earthshaking, but it was always strong enough to be satisfying--not a favorite, but usually the best I could get.

Instead of looking at marketing hype for the 2,700 + strains that are available now, I asked the nose question. As I said, I'm ignorant about lemon/fruit, so that is worth some pursuit. As I have found from experience, these are the scents:

Cannabis/hops scent is better than cheap brickweed, but not anything all that great.

Pine has always been a mark of quality, but never has quite been a favorite.

Skunk, well, almost goes without saying, it is the mark of distinction, as long as you are talking about a "down" buzz.

Pepper towards peppermint--usually a favorite, above hops and pine.

So, I was able to find infographics about scent, and was surprised to find these encompass most of what's found in cannabis, besides fruit. The other outstanding example seems to be Lavender. So, one of those will probably become my next pet for a skunk type effect. It was not bred to "get" lavender, as far as I can tell, but if this scent spilled out of selective breeding, I think it plays along with "entourage effect" and is worth a try. Not much else seems to have it besides Lavender. Similar to other plants; for example, Anise Hyssop is not related to anise or hyssop, but it looks like hyssop, and smells like anise, because it contains some anethol. Now anethol is in a number of plants conjuring that scent, it just happens to be highest in anise. So if lavender smell is highest in lavender (which I already have) but, a distinct effect can be found in cannabis that produces it, so much more for the curiosity. It is not prominent in many strains from what I can tell.

They say the "pepper" scent is not itself related to any effects, and, I am not going to get too technical here, but let's say, with other plant medicine, black pepper is not really the source of effects, but pepper (and ginger) are considered *highly* effective in getting the body to properly metabolize other things. So, pepper by itself, is nothing, but, (for example), if you have pepper with turmeric, then the turmeric effects are faster and more powerful. So I think my attraction towards "pepper" weed, it's somewhat misleading, it might not be the pepper terpenes that drive anything, but they make the body more prepared to absorb the good stuff that comes with it.

So next year: Lavender + Real Seeds + (perhaps) Mekong Express, which it looks like a good chance of me creating that.

I never had a problem with grasshoppers, I just ran about 16 plants through that same area, and, yes, you get a few of them nibbling on large leaves, but I have never seen a stem severed as they did the other day. I thought it was pinched off or fried when I first saw it, but, really, both ends of the stem were still rigid, so I'm quite sure they chewed it in the two hours I wasn't looking. Shouldn't be a further problem as plants pass ~2 weeks where the stems are still that thin.

Chickens do the same thing, which is why I used a roll of fence to keep those stupid b!tches away, but it doesn't scale down to grasshoppers. So I'm thinking of setting up a toad house. Over a summer, a toad can eat 8,000 or more bugs. Same house would work for frogs, lizards, skinks...which, in the little fence, would be safe from cats or whatever else goes after them. Reptiles and amphibians are probably *the* best insecticide. But I threw down some diatomaceous earth in the meantime.

Satyros

Found a little bit of Perlite, and attempted to re-root the severed Orient Express in it. To my amazement, this little thing has not even drooped yet, so maybe it will pull through.

Today there was a pre-dawn rain, which made a few of the second batch seedlings floppy. This is understandable and most likely self-correcting in a few days--assuming it doesn't keep happening.

When I've done this before, I mostly used small containers in storage racks, so if you didn't want some free water from the rain, it was easy enough to pull them indoors. On this go round, most of the first batch--around three weeks old, four or five nodes, I've put into larger containers, about three gallons. However, it is likely to rain every day now for perhaps a week or more, which sounds like a death warrant. In anyone's experience with plants of this size, what's a safe limit? Two or three daily rains?

The alternative now would be to toss them in a barn that has some openings in the sides, so it's not that great for sunlight, but I'm pretty sure that a few dim days is preferable to drowning.

Satyros

I haven't seen this, either, but...the seedlings were mostly recovering from getting rained on. Now usually if one has a problem, the whole thing flops. Afghan "twin" was still standing, but collapsed at the tip & leaves. Guessing that's a fatal sign.

Then, in a particularly humiliating form of irony, I'm out there and, right in the motion where I'm preparing the scissors to top the Mekong plant, someone comes leashwalking a goat and parks at the seedlings. In spite of me begging:

"Please don't let him eat those!"

Instead of pulling on the leash, Mekong #2 gets slurped like a noodle.

Hopefully the top will regrow. I can't say too much about the wild side of nature, the rain, sun, bugs, or whatever...but I cannot comprehend why I've spent most of my life with people and their domesticated animals ruining my things. I never bothered their stuff. But they spoil almost everything I ever had.

Satyros

The next thing that intrigues me, is that the plants which look different from what I am used to, are the broad leafed ones; particularly Edelweiss, and to an extent Kiss Dragon and Nemesis. The other ones look almost the same as bagseed stuff, however I will say they look better--more vigorous & better branching at a young age.

I referred to bagseed as "hashplants" cause that's how the buzz seemed. And also, someone I know, had a greenhouse full of Hawaiian around the time I had my first toke, including the technique of...hanging baskets, training the branches to hang upside down, because "gravity makes more resin flow into the buds" (...).

From reading around IC, I take it there is not such a thing as native Hawaiian or Columbian. But those must be somewhat different plants, as when I shared some of what I grew, her exact words were "tastes like hash". So whatever the bag seeds are, is nothing like Hawaiian, it's not Indica dominant, but it's hashy. In fact, some of the final leaves (for the small size I grow), are very narrow. Maybe that's a sativa thing? It doesn't show narrow leaves until further along (3 months-ish) into its growth?

I think the locust-plagued Orient Express is going to make it; some of the top cuttings from other plants might have been too small to regrow, but I think the Mekong might do it. I'll severely miss having that second one. Assuming at least one male Orient Express, I was planning on pollinating it to the others of its kind, and to the Mekong. If the Afghan or Kush comes up male, I can't see much need to try to fold that into anything else. The specific Kush x Skunk is the same one that had the name, Pot of Gold.

The Himalayan might just be out of its element. Has "alernating phyllotaxy"--leaves come out staggered, instead of in pairs--and most of them are whorls, as if the heat is making them transpire faster than they'd like to. Aside from the wild appearance, it seems healthy. Nothing much I can do to provide a cool mountain, if that is what makes it thrive.

Satyros

I see disaster strikes Himachal Pradesh again. Monsoons leading to landslides. I would not look forward to being stuck in a bus under fifteen feet of mud. This area is pretty hardcore.

There's enough plausibility to look towards Kazakhstan as sort of the Eden for apples and cannabis. Certainly, in the historical record, you find both (slightly) green cannabis with Tocharian mummies, and a massive amount of central Asian charas, which moved from the Silk Road along a route that went through Karakoram, Leh, to Manali. It was even used as currency. Whether this implies that India had no native cannabis, or just didn't have enough, I don't know. But that route is still there, it can only be traveled three or four months of the year due to snow, and the rain doesn't sound good right now.

In terms of growing season climate and UV intensity, my area more closely resembles the Fergana Valley between the Pamirs and Tien Shan. Possibly also north Africa. There isn't...much...specific information about those cannabis strains; it's like once you pass Afghanistan, you fell off the map.

I haven't noticed any of these Nepali or Vietnamese plants flowering yet, but the Mekong really takes the cake for sheer growth. I had to cut the tops I just cut, and then a set of branches. And I have a feeling that's just a warm up.

Satyros

I did the unthinkable.

No, it's not what you're thinking, although that remains an option as well.

My first line of defense was a black widow. Of course, some grasshopper chews and a bit of bottom leaf loss are par for the course, doesn't affect much. What I used next was:

Brewed coffee grounds; a bit of nitrogen, modest insect repellent.
Fish emulsion, a bit more nitrogen boost for early growth.
Dolomite limestone and,
Rabbit manure.

So those are all dressings, I realize the best method is to pre-mix the soil, but on this, I didn't really have time to do that. I suppose that makes it very slow release, but the stuff is there.

Couple of days ago, I noticed the obvious brown spots of calcium deficiency on all the older plants. Since the lime has been there for weeks, the calcium should be delivered, although dolomite has the less than ideal Calcium: Magnesium ratio of 2:1 instead of 7:1. So possibly it's Magnesium or Nitrogen blocked, or the soil could have gotten too dry or too hot.

The sides of the containers are blocked by other things, which is important, but it has still been really hot, and maybe they baked a little. There was only one day that the plants actually looked dry; watering got them pumped up immediately.

So I did the quickest thing I had on hand. I milked them. Well, I had to use evaporated goat milk, but I made about a 10% solution and sprayed them down (foliar feed). Hope this method will help.

Kiss Dragon #1 stretched like a midget putting on stilts. Not much info about this kind, but I can say it looks nothing like the Black Domina (its parent) pictures I saw. Has really large wide leaves, but is it compact, no, I topped it, and even though the tips didn't grow much, the whole plant is considerably taller. Most likely that's a sign it's getting ready to do its thing, for which, calcium is probably an integral part of the equation.

So yeah. A milk spray. Most lime doesn't dissolve too well, or eggshells, and this was available instead of ordering a specialty product. I'm hoping this happened just because of their dry day, as it should start getting a little cooler and that should be a non-issue, otherwise it means a terrible soil issue for basically everything.

Satyros

It's a magic wand.

Especially with the sativa types, after pruning, they were round bushes, which I figured that was normal. Today, after the milking, they are perky, vertical, opened up, and look completely different in this regard. Spraying milk into bud is probably not a good idea, but for growth it seems awesome.

Part of the reason may also be the heat. Temperature is just a scalar or one-dimensional measurement of the average kinetic energy of molecules, whereas heat is energy. Last week the heat index reached 118; today it's only 88, so that is also a big difference. But these plants showed a drastic overnight improvement, so, I'm fairly sure that 10% milk foliar spray is beneficial.

Not sure why they have not gotten enough calcium from lime that's been there three or four weeks, but milk could also go into the soil.

I'm also thinking of potash, what's that, the ash you get from smoking pot? Well, no, but yes. It's the ash from burning pretty much any kind of vegetation, which returns the phosphorous and potassium you are looking for. From wood, you will get a lot of carbon as well, but with something like grape vines, it's practically pure, white. So you may as well smoke with your plants and tip the ashes into them, or save them up in a clean ash tray and toss that in. But not commercial tobacco or paper or anything like that, because then you get all the concentrated poisons.

Satyros

Yeppers.

Looks like bloom day in this area for the most mature (7 weeks) varietals, including Kiss Dragon as expected, Mekong, Sexbud, Orient Express (x2). The OE could still be male as it is kind of hard to tell at first.

I still have a hunch that Edelweiss and Himalaya Gold would prefer a cooler area. The Edelweiss, which I think was literally the first seed to sprout, is still a little demi-tasse thing that couldn't do much besides lollipop. The Himalaya is a little bigger and is starting to match its description, in that its branches are quite upright and it looks topped, although I haven't touched it.

Even if all the small ones start soon and only make a little bit, fine with me. I'm sure that one to three plants may not give you the full spectrum of a strain, but, from what I can tell, everything seems to represent its claims so far.

rolandomota

Ace only sells fem 3 packs or 5 seeds fem plus 1 free in 5 packs. Standard seeds come in 5 or 10 seeds plus a seed or two free

Satyros

I got these from a bank that would sell a single if desired, and picked three of Ace's Orient Express but clicked the regular somewhat absent mindedly. Hence the interest in breeding should a male emerge. I'm 90% certain at least one of them is female--it's a bit hard to tell due to the cage/barricade, and trying to see something in strong sunlight that is flapping in the breeze. The one that got chewed in half is of course my smallest plant, but, to its credit, it's making a comeback.

Roger. How do you make your clones?

Shirley, it's not that hard. I grow for two weeks, then cut the whole plant right at the soil line. I get an exact copy every time!

The relatively miniature Edelweiss also just got a set of pistils. But yeah, next go-round, definitely looking at going deeper into the Ace stuff, those guys are hardcore. I knew nothing about breeders before this project.

Satyros

Aha!

One Orient Express is male, so, he's isolated in sort of a...poor greenhouse situation....mostly filtered light with maybe two hours evening sun. He's virtually identical to the lady, same size and shape, I think those are both the common hybrid or "compact sativa" phenotype. He just needs to keep going long enough to get enough of his goods to dust on the bottom branches of the mature OE and the Mekong. I think that might work as an interesting blend, "Mekong Express"; of course, from only one set of parents, it might not result in many viable generations, but as a first-time experience, it sounds really fun.

Satyros

If there is a blue ribbon for flower power, I have to hang it on Kiss Dragon.

It was a normal cute little plant that only needed topping one time.

It went to a flowering phase at the same time as plants one week older, and when it did, it stretched to 6 or more inches between nodes and the stem got massively thick. It became not just the largest plant I have now, but probably the biggest one I've ever grown. If its colas are long instead of round, it may get too big for its space. And, only about three days after showing pistils, you'd have to say, oh, wispy buds all over it.

Very impressive in terms of at least providing the structure for resin to develop. The Edelweiss is starting to stretch a little, but that whole plant is only going to be the equivalent of a branch of Kiss Dragon. I don't think that means it's a bad strain, just that it would probably be a better performer indoors, or a more northern locale.

Satyros

Found a few pistils in Himalaya Gold and Kiss Dragon #2.

The difference in size between the older plants and ones only 2-3 weeks younger is drastic. It seems that generally, cannabis takes about a month to make a little model plant of about five nodes, and after it reaches that point, it can really do things. So these younger plants have really just reached that point.

Also, the intensity of high summer sun cannot really be achieved once the sun is slipping away to an angle. So these younger plants won't get the advantage of the sheer power, even though many hours of sunshine are still available.

But so far I'm pretty satisfied in that you can get a seedbank to split the breeders' packs and wind up getting what it's supposed to be, and that stuff does much better than bagseed. This little patch is probably the most beautiful set of plants I have ever created.

Satyros

Found pistils in Nemesis and potted it up with a whole toad. He hopped into an empty bucket and couldn't unhop from that position, so, if he won't work as pesticide, maybe he's good fertilizer. The pure Afghan is textbook for thick stem, tight nodes, and broad leaves; out of all the hybrids, it looks like Nemesis maintains the broad leaf trait more than anything. The Edelweiss kinda backed down to "medium" leaf, it has stretched noticeably, but no branching.

Mekong High and Orient Express are almost identical, except Mekong is the lightest color and Orient Express is the darkest, out of everything. The Mekong did grow the fastest vegetatively, and probably over a whole season would have been the biggest, but at this point, Orient Express has edged past it slightly. Sexbud is almost as dark, almost as big, and almost as narrow-leafed as OE, but by visual comparison, would fall along the lines of "sativa dominant hybrid".

Himalaya Gold is definitely the "most unique", it doesn't look like anything else. The waviness of it gives an effect like a stack of green flames, or a set of spinning pinwheels. As it grows, the leaves eventually straighten out, but the irregular branching is still distinct. It may have similar parents geographically as Nemesis, but the progeny are at huge variance.

Even as a dark horse, Kiss Dragon is really "best in show". It's Samsara's Nepali x Black Domina, which is either especially suited for this climate, or is such a bundle of magnificence that it worked anyway. No normal person would believe that queen beast is a week younger than Edelweiss, and you probably wouldn't think it's younger than the sativas--but for something so un-famous it's almost unknown, it's a true eye-opener.

Latest posts

Latest posts