What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

BHOgart Extractor Thread

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
The seam on the butane recovery tank had the leak.....seems like a pretty important thing to check...KABOOOOOM!!!

will you post some pictures of this bad weld job? and if anybody else has some more detailed pictures of the units inside and out, thy would be most appreciated :)

Hash Man

damn that sucks on tha tank.

here are some pics of my new collecion pot and recovery tank.
i dont like he pot at all so i am going to use it as a vac chamber and just make a lid for it.

I am going to use the custom head piece and just get a new spool and end cap and clamps to make it how i want it....

the inner welding doesnt seem any good for scraping....

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
damn that sucks on tha tank.

here are some pics of my new collecion pot and recovery tank.
i dont like he pot at all so i am going to use it as a vac chamber and just make a lid for it.

I am going to use the custom head piece and just get a new spool and end cap and clamps to make it how i want it....

the inner welding doesnt seem any good for scraping....

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1149978View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1149979View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1149980View Image https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=47020&pictureid=1149981View Image

Those are ugly welds bro. I prefer to use the TIG process, and use certified aerospace welders, for exactly that reason.

You can wash the inner weld with a TIG arc, to smooth it out, and finish up with a mounted point in a hand grinder.

Attachments

• Welds by Gibson-1-1.jpg
    Welds by Gibson-1-1.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Welds by Gibson-2-1.jpg
    Welds by Gibson-2-1.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 11

Hash Man

Those are ugly welds bro. I prefer to use the TIG process, and use certified aerospace welders, for exactly that reason.

You can wash the inner weld with a TIG arc, to smooth it out, and finish up with a mounted point in a hand grinder.

oh shoot man thnx for the warning. I'm not a welder so i cont know for sure.

at least the recovery tank has nice welds, maybe i will take it into a metal shop to get a polish put on it.

apollojmr

I am confused..is that the 1 lbs system? Mine that I bought a few months ago has no welds on the collection pot..only the recovery tank..the system I have has both ends of the collection pot that are rubber sealed and held together with clamps...

apollojmr

I can honestly tell you that I am not at all impressed with the customer service from BHOgart..They are a nice system but from here on out I will be doing any mods or fixes myself. I was promised a clear lid for my collection pot so I could vacuum purge and I am still waiting..I made one myself so I guess at this point it'll just be an added bonus. I am pretty sure that the system I bought is the newer model that they are making and for that I am thankful because its a pretty versatile system that I can make my own by reading and copying the TRUE PROS in this game over at SKUNK PHARM! Thanks GW for allowing us to use your hard work and efforts!

RHH

Hey all,

So I have some experience here because I've run a lot of these machines. I have an MK IIIa from specialized formulations, a 2.5lb BHOgart, and a hybrid mk3-mk5 design that I had custom made.

My opinion of the BHOgart is generally neutral.

Problems I've had with the BHOgart:

1) Leaking sight glass. A new one was sent out and arrived in 4 days. Apparently there were some quality control issues from the manufacturer and he changed manufacturers.

2) Leaking fittings on the recovery tank. Oops. The fitting itself is leaking and he said some of them need washers and some don't. I guess I'm on the 'need' side. The leak is between the threads and the flare fitting(NOT a weld). Either way I'm not really impressed by home made recovery tanks. My recovery tank has TIG welds btw and my partner tells me they look well done(I can't comment I've never welded).

Thoughts on customer service: BHOgart has been 100% responsive to texts and usually responds within 15 minutes. I try to be clear about my problem and not abrasive or rude. Honey attracts more flies than water, ya know?

When I got my Mk3a from specialized formulations I had a lot of issues too. Assembling the compression fitting, getting that pipe to fit, and of course the leaks.

How do you pressure test a terpenator or a bhogart? No one will hold your hand. If you've never used an air compressor before its time to learn on your own.

Documentation: Both skunkpharm and bhogart are lacking here. There is the video on fb for bhogart that is helpful but more needs to be done. I cut GW a lot more slack here because he's sharing what he's doing and he's not a business. That said, if you actually try to put together an MK3a from the skunkpharm website you are going to run into some interesting issues...lid machining diagrams list incorrect sizes, hose recommendations haven't been updated(blew $50 on some bad hoses), the diagram of how the mk2 works is confusing/incorrect/unlabeled(you pick), the operating instructions are unclear, etc. When it's time to run one it's a lot more involved than just following the instructions. Oh, and safety instructions and maintenance information...? Not provided.

No matter what path you choose you are getting into a serious project and you are EXPECTED to take ownership of the project.

For me that means pressure testing everything daily, doing gasket inspections regularly, etc.

Stuff will go wrong with either system. You absolutely cannot rely on GW or BHOgart or the community at large to tell you everything you need to know.

Price: The terpenator obviously wins here....but delivery time from specialized formulations for us was 3 months last year(it's probably improved). The BHOgart arrived in 4 days. You could build a 2.5lb BHOgart under $1000. I bought one anyways. Why? It saved me about 25 hours of time planning all the part purchases and I basically looked at it as a $1500 support package. Paying someone else means I get to ask them questions when stuff goes wrong and benefit from their experience.

"Buy your first extractor, build your second."

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
"Buy your first extractor, build your second."

:laughing: I like it.

Hard to completely agree that skunk pharms lacking in documentation since you built a custom unit based on the MKv. Think about it, the MKv isn't even commercially available at the moment.

Skunk Pharm documents and SHARES more than any one else out there afaik.

I dont think BHOgart would be around without skunk pharm...

Yes if you are making and selling a recovery tank it seems like common sense to pressure test it. Pretty sure its actually a law that all tanks are tested initially and then recertified after a certain period of time.
http://www.hudsontech.com/reclamation-services/hydrostatic-testing-and-cylinder-maintenance/

What Im getting after is Its not like screwing in the appropriate gauge and an air line hooked to a compressor is hard. Especially when it ensures the quality of your product let alone the safety of your customers...

RHH

:laughing: I like it.

Hard to completely agree that skunk pharms lacking in documentation since you built a custom unit based on the MKv. Think about it, the MKv isn't even commercially available at the moment.

It's mostly just a larger MK IIIa. To get to that point I've read every thread on extractors here, the comments sections of every skunkpharm article, and owned an mk IIIa before I attempted building my own. There is definitely enough information out there...it's just not organized or updated.

[qoute]Skunk Pharm documents and SHARES more than any one else out there afaik.

I dont think BHOgart would be around without skunk pharm...[/quote]

Yep, agreed. And skunkpharm wouldn't have built the Mk line if FOAF didn't do the groundwork...and so forth and so forth. GW liberated these designs for the masses IMHO. Before GW/FOAF we had the frickin' $25,000 tamisium...so things are looking up.

As an aside, the current world of super/sub-critical co2 is in need of a DIY shakedown. It is pure insanity that a 20-liter extractor is 80k from a popular vendor when I've spoken with overseas manufacturers whose initial quote was 45k. The true cost of parts is closer to 15k. But I digress.

Yes if you are making and selling a recovery tank it seems like common sense to pressure test it. Pretty sure its actually a law that all tanks are tested initially and then recertified after a certain period of time.
http://www.hudsontech.com/reclamation-services/hydrostatic-testing-and-cylinder-maintenance/

What Im getting after is Its not like screwing in the appropriate gauge and an air line hooked to a compressor is hard. Especially when it ensures the quality of your product let alone the safety of your customers...

I agree 100%. If it happened that way--it's sloppy. That said, he's obviously a startup which means 2 things: 1) internally the company is a disaster 2) he's understaffed.

Neither is an excuse for poor, or non-existent, quality control.

Be safe out there, guys!

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's a fair assessment that after a year, many of SPM's articles would benefit from an update and it is on the list, along with more other things than I can get done in this lifetime.

What I gave priority, was teaching personal classes on assembling, testing, and operating a Terpenator, besides of course, developing new processes and equipment.

On a positive note, in November, we've arranged for a film crew to video tape the assembly, testing, and operating of a Mk IIIA Terpenator. The films should be out early next year.

The principle difference between Skunk Pharm Research and either BHOgart and Specialized Formulations, is that we aren't selling extraction equipment, only giving away information on how to build them for free. We would hire more people if we could afford them, but alas we are all paying volunteers ourselves.

The start up pains that both BHOgart and Specialized Formulations are suffering, are exactly why this old retired manufacturing engineer chose to stay away from building and supplying equipment. It already made an old man out of me, and I really don't want it to be my death.

jump117

Veteran
building and supplying equipment. It already made an old man out of me, and I really don't want it to be my death.

Gray Wolf, Do not say that!

Your mental alertness and good spirits make compliments to your previous job, where did you get the knowledge and experience for an interesting activities in retirement.

Rust is faster than depreciation. Please continue to work for the good of society and to our delight! :thank you:

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
RHH I would also love to see a co2 machine. Honestly it its no suprise to me that something manufactured in china is half the cost of something manufactured in North America, its usually cheaper than that..

USA(made in China)

Before GW/FOAF we had the frickin' $25,000 tamisium...so things are looking up.

:laughing:
I met someone with one of the 25k units.... at skunk pharm.
They (the tami owner) reassured me that I was at the right place. The person who makes the tami left them high and dry from what I was told.
The best part, they had a brand new MK3 that they were picking up, even with the 25k tami..
They were very grateful for skunk pharm and said that before they took a $15 class from them, they had WASTED thousands on dishonest Tami instructions..

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gray Wolf, Do not say that!

Your mental alertness and good spirits make compliments to your previous job, where did you get the knowledge and experience for an interesting activities in retirement.

Rust is faster than depreciation. Please continue to work for the good of society and to our delight! :thank you:

There were the good times learning and creating and there were the bad times when nothing went right in spades. No raw material, or defective material, no help, absent help, or bad help, difficult customers and impossible schedules, dead beat or slow paying customers, no equipment, bad equipment, or dead equipment, bad shipping, natural disasters, acts of God, etc.............

A good observation that rust is faster than depreciation old friend, but I can keep the synapses firing creating new stuff, rather than building cookie cutter copies for sale. My delight is in creation and where historically my time has been best spent.

I can do pretty work, but the rolling decades have also convinced that there are more folks out there far better than me at craftsmanship and art, than my style of brain farts out of left field, so I had rather team up with others doing what they do best, so that I can do what I do best and enjoy most.

Lastly, I am superannuated from the standpoint that my skeletal joints are in bad shape, so I have problems in the odd positions one finds themselves assembling stuff, and even keeping my thumbs in joint during hard wrenching.

The perverse thing is that as the end grows nearer, life just keeps getting better and more precious, and since I was lucky enough to (ostensibly ???) cover my food and shelter until death do us part needs before retirement, I just want to have fun.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yeah, I first designed a Made In USA unit, and my cost was three X what I could get it from China. Someone has to pay for our higher standard of living here in the US, but in this case, I couldn't afford it and still have a reasonably priced product.

RHH I would also love to see a co2 machine. Honestly it its no suprise to me that something manufactured in china is half the cost of something manufactured in North America, its usually cheaper than that..

USA(made in China)

:laughing:
I met someone with one of the 25k units.... at skunk pharm.
They (the tami owner) reassured me that I was at the right place. The person who makes the tami left them high and dry from what I was told.
The best part, they had a brand new MK3 that they were picking up, even with the 25k tami..
They were very grateful for skunk pharm and said that before they took a $15 class from them, they had WASTED thousands on dishonest Tami instructions..

tommyl

You can wash the inner weld with a TIG arc, to smooth it out, and finish up with a mounted point in a hand grinder.[/QUOTE

All of those welds are tig welded. the ones from gibson were merely polished . that is the only difference. :tumbleweed:

tommyl

How are the bhogarts more expensive than the terpenators. Last time i checked a bhogart was 1100 for the small one 1 lb(6x6) model. $1800 for the 2.5 lb(10x12) model and $3000(12x12) for the 5 lb model.

apollojmr

Awesome for all of this knowledge to be pouring in..I can tell you all that I wouldnt have ever even thought of buying a BHogart if it wasnt for Skunk Pharm Research! In fact I was on my way to having SF build me one but I got impatient and ordered the "better looking" one instead. I am not sure if I will ever have another chance to buy another one because I too have done a lot of Chinese and Indian research on supercritical machines and I will probably be buying one of those next, but if I dont then I will be VERY thankful for the free info that Skunk Pharm Research has given! In fact I wrote to GW a few months back to encourage him to add a bitcoin donation button so we can get them some "untraceable, anonymous" donations so they can continue their research! I have had nothing but great luck with this whole extraction business and I will continue to give back as much as I can as well! In fact I set up a youtube channel in the meantime while we wait for the pros at SPR to bring us a REAL tutorial video! If you guys wanna check out my VERY amateur but whole hearted how to video as well as the official BHOgart Labs video from their Facebook page here are the links! I tried to post them here but I am not able to figure it out yet. GO EASY on me! LOL I am only trying to help!

http://youtu.be/H4v8cDQrHCw

http://youtu.be/6Bx0GsClRus

http://youtu.be/7HlYkEJlVxM

http://youtu.be/6j5RgxL0FKw

RHH

Awesome for all of this knowledge to be pouring in..I can tell you all that I wouldnt have ever even thought of buying a BHogart if it wasnt for Skunk Pharm Research! In fact I was on my way to having SF build me one but I got impatient and ordered the "better looking" one instead. I am not sure if I will ever have another chance to buy another one because I too have done a lot of Chinese and Indian research on supercritical machines and I will probably be buying one of those next, but if I dont then I will be VERY thankful for the free info that Skunk Pharm Research has given! In fact I wrote to GW a few months back to encourage him to add a bitcoin donation button so we can get them some "untraceable, anonymous" donations so they can continue their research! I have had nothing but great luck with this whole extraction business and I will continue to give back as much as I can as well! In fact I set up a youtube channel in the meantime while we wait for the pros at SPR to bring us a REAL tutorial video! If you guys wanna check out my VERY amateur but whole hearted how to video as well as the official BHOgart Labs video from their Facebook page here are the links! I tried to post them here but I am not able to figure it out yet. GO EASY on me! LOL I am only trying to help!

http://youtu.be/H4v8cDQrHCw

http://youtu.be/6Bx0GsClRus

http://youtu.be/7HlYkEJlVxM

http://youtu.be/6j5RgxL0FKw

If you get serious about it write a message on my wall here and we can discuss further. I've spoken with all those companies but my plan is to build my own. Unfortunately, I probably won't document the process because I'm lazy.