What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yellowing with purple stems C99 mom

LostTribe

Premium user
I keep having issues with this mom. She's in happy frog and looking unhappy. Stems have gone way purple now. Yellowing on all leaves. I just tried up potting but that wasn't an issue last time. Under led quantum boards plenty far from the light.

I tried feeding
Tap ~250ppm .35 ec
Maxigrow up to 800 ppm
LK
a bit of SM90 as I saw a couple fungus gnats but nothing major.

Its been 24 hours still looking the same.

I don't have issues with her sister at all she's dark green as you can see in this photo. Just cut back her sister.
picture.php

picture.php

What do you guys think the issue is? I was in fabric pot so don't know if it could just be a root bound issue and the tips don't seem to be burned.

Blessings!
LT

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I agree it is most likely cold.

It is winter, and just a folded crate is enough to stop the cold floor conducting that cold to the roots.

Not unrelated to the temperature is also overwatering - the soil staying too wet and cold too long.

Also when plants are suffering like this, they don't take up a lot of nutrients, which will build up in the medium.

The best thing is to put a folded crate (plastic, steel, well varnished wood) under them, and give them a low dose of high P/K food and epsom salt. 0.4 EC of a high P/K nutrient (Plagron Green Sensation 0-9-10, Canna PK 13-14, maybe a quarter strength GHE MaxiBloom would do, which is 5-15-14), and 0.1 EC of epsom salt.

- Maxigrow

I presume you mean GHE's Maxigro (10-5-14).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/123635564479

There is also Maxigrow company that has bought or runs BioBizz.

LostTribe

Premium user
They aren't directly on the floor. I have a rubbermaid container top flipped upside down under them for an air gap. It is cold. I up potted with organic water only soil will report back.

Its is cold though 55 last night w lights out. Humidity was up though to 77 strange.

Yes GH Maxi I will try the Bloom when they dry out with more epsom.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
All I would add is to

- Slowly flush with the light 0.4 EC concentration, so that when the soil dries up there isn't a sudden increase in nutrient concentration

When soil dries, the nutrient concentration increases depending on how much moisture is evaporated from the soil. So it is best to be safe an use 1/4 strength.

I really think most nutrient companies presume for their EC levels that the medium is held wet constantly and there are no other nutrients in the medium. However this increase in EC is why when you feed regular strength, days or a week later leafburn starts to show up. The nutrient concentration increases when the medium dries.

- Use 2 or 3 rubbermaid tops for extra distance.

LostTribe

Premium user
The other plants even the reveg haze's are doing fine. I don't think its the cold. I have constant issues with this particular plant. Its off the ground 2 inches. I will check run off when I water again in 2 days. I will see about a heater.

Fitzera

If you want to test the cold theory, if you have a seedling heating mat you could try placing it under that one and keep an eye on it if it changes at all. It's possible that this plant just needs something different than the rest.

My males are in a closet and quite cold. The pots were staying wet too long and they were suffering...but not at all like what you are seeing. I added a mat and they've bounced back beautifully. Not the same situation it would seem though.

Joint Lock

C99 is a mag whore if u dont have cal mag or epson salts your in for trouble sooner or later ....

Shes awful abt it

LostTribe

Premium user
Its had plenty of calcium and magnesium.

I just did a check of the run off. Anyone want to guess?

4.5ec 6.5ph

I flushed with .4 ec. I checked the one I handnt up potted and it was at 1.6ec. Looking healthy.

I up potted last week with LC's water only soil mix at the bottom. Haven't made my own soil in a long time. Is that the most likely problem that the new soil is too hot? I check run off from same mix without a plant and got 3.2ec 6.6ph.

If this mix is too hot how do I go about fixing it? Its the LC guano mix in the soil forum.
Thanks
LT

FletchF.Fletch

420giveaway
You could Flush it like The Great Flood, or do the old Unpot from Hot, Repot to some Not Hot. Thin your mixed soil with potting soil without any extras. 2 parts unadultered to each part of the Hot mix.

Once the Yellow plant has been repotted keep it off to the side out of direct full light, even just out of the tent, for a day or two while it comes back to Green. Mist it with plain water to help ease the stress during transplant and bounceback.

LostTribe

Premium user
You could Flush it like The Great Flood, or do the old Unpot from Hot, Repot to some Not Hot. Thin your mixed soil with potting soil without any extras. 2 parts unadultered to each part of the Hot mix.

Once the Yellow plant has been repotted keep it off to the side out of direct full light, even just out of the tent, for a day or two while it comes back to Green. Mist it with plain water to help ease the stress during transplant and bounceback.

So it is too hot then I take it?

Thats what I figured. I am not sure I had enough peat/coco for the recipe. I also wasn't sure if checking the run off was pertinent regarding watering of organic soil. I have read that you cannot use ppm/ec readings for organics with my past experience in hydro organics.

I hope she turns around maybe she's a low feeder compared to the other. Always having issues.

Thank you guys!
LT

Fitzera

If you are feeding it, then yes I'd say run off is important to check, but for a mom i don't think feeding should be necessary if you run an amended organic soil until much later. I'd go with what fletch said, or try cutting the soil with extra perlite/ewc maybe. I've heard of people rinsing their roots of soil and replanting, although I'd expect the plant to go through a longer period of shock.

LostTribe

Premium user
If you are feeding it, then yes I'd say run off is important to check, but for a mom i don't think feeding should be necessary if you run an amended organic soil until much later. I'd go with what fletch said, or try cutting the soil with extra perlite/ewc maybe. I've heard of people rinsing their roots of soil and replanting, although I'd expect the plant to go through a longer period of shock.

Looking greener but still a bit light in color. She'll pull through thanks everyone!