What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pretty sure it’s Aphids

ScrogMonster

Veteran
I didn’t see aphids in Stitch’s guide or other stickies but googling plant pests leads me to believe these are Aphids, can some one confirm?

It doesn’t seem like LCPT is doing much against them, they’re soft bodies so I’m about to try the rubbing alcohol/water treatment.

I hate chemical pesticides so if someone has a good organic or safe home made treatment please chime in.

Thanks in advance.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Smokin Joe

Humpin to please
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yup thems aphids. I battled them for almost a year with everything I could find that was safe for humans. After getting my ass handed to me several times I broke down and used pyrethrum bombs. Finally beat the fuckers and realized how many thousands of dollars I wasted with sick plants and bugs.
I won't be fucking around with kiddy gloves again. Sometimes ya just gotta go bare knuckles from the start.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Thanks guys, I sprayed a solution of 50/50 ISO/Water with dish soap surfactant last night, it definitely looked like it was killing them on contact. I used to use this solution to get rid of Spider Mites, sprayed every other day for like 4-5 times in a row. It’s killed the borg off completely for me several times over the years. Just sucks breathing in the vapors as your spraying. Hopefully it works on aphids... any one ever try it? I’ll report back on it.

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
I hate chemical pesticides so if someone has a good organic or safe home made treatment please chime in.
Softbodied insects like these dessicate from liquid dishwashing soap.

An easy spray that works against a lot of pests is:

1 quart of water
10 drops of pyrethrin
a quart of a teaspoon of vegetable oil (anything food grade)
Just enough drops of liquid dishwashing soap to dissolve the vegetable oil in water

That will dry out (soap), paralyze (pyrethrin) and suffocate (oil) most of what the water doesn't wash away. Repeat at least once.

You can follow a treatment like that later with organic sprays like a solution with hotsauce, and then predatory mites.

Pyrethrin is as non-organic as I will go. It is derived from chrysanthemums, and in 7 days will turn into non-harmful natural substances.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Softbodied insects like these dessicate from liquid dishwashing soap.

An easy spray that works against a lot of pests is:

1 quart of water
10 drops of pyrethrin
a quart of a teaspoon of vegetable oil (anything food grade)
Just enough drops of liquid dishwashing soap to dissolve the vegetable oil in water

That will dry out (soap), paralyze (pyrethrin) and suffocate (oil) most of what the water doesn't wash away. Repeat at least once.

You can follow a treatment like that later with organic sprays like a solution with hotsauce, and then predatory mites.

Pyrethrin is as non-organic as I will go. It is derived from chrysanthemums, and in 7 days will turn into non-harmful natural substances.

TYVM Tanzanian Magic! That sounds like a great solution! I’ll probably try it if I run into a pest that either ISO or LCPT won’t rid me of. So far the ISO seems to work and I’m also thinking if I had really given the LCPT a chance it’d have probably also worked.

Carson - I used the following solution to completely eradicate spider mites, and it appears to also work well for Aphids, after pulling off any unnecessary lower leaves and growth so as to have less plant matter to spray and less places for them to live and hide, and to make sure I can easily coat 100% of the plants. I’ve only applied it once, and usually I’d apply it every other day 4-5 times in a row for spider mites, but Loast Coast Plant Therapy, which I love and highly recommend for preventative treatment and eradicating mites, seems much gentler on the plants and it’s much more pleasure able to apply, the fumes from spraying ISO are pretty rough. So after the one ISO solution application I’m going with LCPT every other day for 4-5 applications, I don’t think I’ll see them again, I already can’t seem to find any.

It’s 70%ISO mixed half n half with water and a bit of dish soap as a surfactant, the amount of dish soap varies depending on how concentrated your dish soap is, and how much solution you’re adding it to, it should foam a little when you shake it but not build up a bunch of foam.

I’m a huge fan of LCPT, I love the peppermint smell and it really solves most issues and I can drench everything with it get it all over my hands, and even spray it on last day flowers if I need to with out a care in the world. It’s just water, a little ISO, Soy bean oil, Citric acid, and peppermint oil.

ScrogMonster

Veteran
Pretty sure what we have here is a bunch of dead aphids.

picture.php

I just found the first living Aphid after the ISO spray and 1 round of LCPT.

I’ll be doing another round of LCPT today. Hopefully after a few more applications they’ll be gone and I can “resume” the prevention weekly applications. I say resume in quotes because I haven’t yet developed the habit or routine of being consistent with the weekly LCPT prevention. If I had been consistent with it I’d imagine this post wouldn’t exist.

vidura

Adults may or may not have wings. Most of the aphid species also occur in winged forms, especially when populations are high or during spring and fall. Aphids are mostly found on plants in large numbers since they are capable of rapid population increases.
https://lifeandagri.com/aphids/

Latest posts

Latest posts