What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How long to veg from seed?

jjs

Hi all

I have a quick question what is the minimal time for veg under a 400w hps? I have heard 5 weeks?

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Depends on the strain... lol..
how much room
how much light
how big is your pot
so many questions so little time all the info is out there you need to look.. headband 707

OldSkoolKlein

If you know the strain of the seeds, look for their website. A great example is Mandala seeds, their grow guide is as good as any around. For the record, they recommend for THEIR strains, under a 400w HPS, in soil, 3, preferably 4 weeks veg. Their yield guidelines are based on 4 wk veg time.

While you are here though, again, look for grows of that strain here. Narrow it down by searching in the forum that pertains to your grow medium. If you grow in soil, look in the soil forums etc. If you don't know the strain, look for 'bagseed grows' (minus ' marks).

The pattern I've seen here is it's rare to go more than 4 weeks, but there's plenty of exceptions.

Here's 1 way to approach solving this problem. I'll steal headband 707's 4 questions because it's a simple plan to follow to start with.
1. do you know the strain?
2. How much room do you have? this decides... (3) and (4)
3. How much light you will need
4. How many pots you can have at a given size that is, will you do SOG (Sea Of Green) or SCROG (SCReen Of Green)? Also strain dependent.

Have fun!

OldSkoolKlein

Last edited:

jjs

If you know the strain of the seeds, look for their website. A great example is Mandala seeds, their grow guide is as good as any around. For the record, they recommend for THEIR strains, under a 400w HPS, in soil, 3, preferably 4 weeks veg. Their yield guidelines are based on 4 wk veg time.

While you are here though, again, look for grows of that strain here. Narrow it down by searching in the forum that pertains to your grow medium. If you grow in soil, look in the soil forums etc. If you don't know the strain, look for 'bagseed grows' (minus ' marks).

The pattern I've seen here is it's rare to go more than 4 weeks, but there's plenty of exceptions.

Here's 1 way to approach solving this problem. I'll steal headband 707's 4 questions because it's a simple plan to follow to start with.
1. do you know the strain?
2. How much room do you have? this decides... (3) and (4)
3. How much light you will need
4. How many pots you can have at a given size that is, will you do SOG (Sea Of Green) or SCROG (SCReen Of Green)? Also strain dependent.

Have fun!

OldSkoolKlein

Thanks so much guys , I have 3 Nirvana bubblicious and 2 Ak-47 in a pretty tight spot 22 W x 17 D , under a 400w hps , growing in coco . I will be training them to keep them bushy .Great thing with the bubblicious is it's usually a short and squat.:gday:

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
Well jjs if this is your first time I would get rid of your coco that is way too much hassel for a person just starting out.. Get some normal promix and start there... start your in a heating bed with no clorine in your water and some seeds are hard and need to be filed find out which ones they are. and your on your way. They do love Vit "B" it's a roots once it starts stay safe headband 707

Yorkshire

You can veg a plant for as little or as long as you like. The ideal is for the plant to show its sex before flipping. You'll get better quality and better yield from a plant that is sexually mature. Lots of plants show sex from as early as 3 weeks some take alot longer.
Good luck with it pal.

Hi jjs

Generally I wait until every plant has shown its preflowers. And mostly this takes +-4-5 weeks cause it always hybrids.
Another reason for me to veg longer is because I never have decent rootmass after 4 weeks
All depends if you under pressure or not...anyway good luck, maybe you get lucky and have the cherry AK-47, mix that with some bubblicious and you have a perfect start to your day...
over&out

I plant a single seed at a time and veg them until they can give a couple clones without sacrificing any crucial bud sites. It's usually around 4 weeks, then the plant is showing pre-flowers and is ready to go. I find if you start flowering before the pre-flowers show, it takes them an extra week or so to start the flowering stretch.

This is my experience with fem seeds though. I just threw my first reg seed in the dirt and it came up today. so, if it's a male, will it still show pre-flowers when it matures in veg?

macamus33

I veg. between 5 and 8 weeks. This is very strain dependent. Some strains are very slow in veg and require longer times. If you don't give them this extra veg time your yield suffers. Some strains will stretch 2 to 4 times thier hieght. These will get a shorter veg. time in order to prevent running out of head room. Again as others have said very strain and space dependent. These are things you will learn with practice and experience.

Yorkshire

Hey Jungle.Microbes. Yeah males show sex in veg too. Usually before the females (not always). Be careful though as tiny pre-flowers can be mistaken for the opposite sex. I use a jewellers loupe to be sure and even then I double check a few days later to be sure. I prefer regular seeds to femmed so seen a fair few males. Its horrible having to cull them because half the time they are the healthiest/nicest plants of the bunch.

I like to free up space in my veg room by kicking the stretchiest ones into flower after the first 1-2 weeks and this tends to leave me about 25% of those ending up female that I put in early. It means that 25% are smaller than they would otherwise be but it also allows me to veg longer a larger selection of females so I am not wasting time veging males for long periods. Just one of the tweaks I came up with over the years to try to improve my production.

Grass Lands

Veteran
I let them veg until the nodes start to alternate, this usually shows maturity in the plant and it is signaling it is time to flower.

Hey Jungle.Microbes. Yeah males show sex in veg too. Usually before the females (not always). Be careful though as tiny pre-flowers can be mistaken for the opposite sex. I use a jewellers loupe to be sure and even then I double check a few days later to be sure. I prefer regular seeds to femmed so seen a fair few males. Its horrible having to cull them because half the time they are the healthiest/nicest plants of the bunch.
thanks for the info. I grew a few bagseeds when I first started that turned out to be male, but I wasn't getting any preflowers beforehand so I wasn't sure.. I can spot those balls from a mile away though, it always hurts to kill them, thats why I usually go female, but with landraces, you don't really have that option. I'm kind of hoping for a male I can use for some crossings of my own

supermanlives

Veteran
you can veg as long or little as you want. you dont even need veg you can go 12/12 from seed. with a 400 i wouldnt let em go too long unless training em

Last edited:
Personally I like to give them as long as possible, top and train them along the way and give them the time to grow . . . more importantly then the top growth is the root development that i happening underneath, give them time and room to fill out. When the plant approaches about 3/4 to 1/2 (depending upon stretch) the desired flowering height & width then flip to 12/12. Best of luck!!!

Oops, I almost forgot to mention that I like to take clones about a week into the flip, when they are still stretching. This way if you find a plant with killer bud after flowering you have a keeper to keep the genetics going for future generations . . . always a good idea when starting from seed.

Latest posts

Latest posts