What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Once more, with feeling.

two heads

Veteran
At the end of last season, I was wondering whether I'd be back in my lovely swamp again, with Canada set to legalize on July 1, 2018. Not surprisingly, that was delayed till this coming October 17 (I'm still giddy at the thought) so, back to the swamp I went on June 7 with three Critical + 2.0 females (Dinafem) and two Bangi Haze females (Ace Seeds). I got my seeds at the nearby First Nations reserve, which has an excellent dispensary.

Here they are on June 7. The Bangi Haze:
picture.php

and the Critical (more indica pheno than last year):
picture.php

It was so nice to be back in the swamp. I always look for wild irises while I'm there and found some beauties this year. I'll be more excited about the flowers I harvest in the fall but, for now, this was quite a treat:
picture.php

picture.php

This likely will be my last year growing in the swamp. (Hence the thread's title). Next year I'll have my plants in the backyard and maybe an indoor set-up in the winter. How civilized.

Last edited:

two heads

Veteran
Thanks for tuning in theJointedOne.

I try to make the swamp as set-it-and-forget-it as possible but last year, when I switched from 15 gallon Rubbermaid totes to 10 gallon Root Pouches, I discovered too late that I needed to add fertilizer around the end of July. The smaller, breathable Root Pouches apparently leached out more of the Osmocote than the tubs had. So I returned August 3 with an organic time-release flowering fertilizer, some slug bait, some twine and a lot of curiousity. And, so far so good:
picture.php

Here's a Bangi Haze on the left with a Critical beside it. You can just see the other two Criticals behind the Bangi Haze.

Here's the other Bangi Haze:
picture.php

And the two background Criticals on their own:
picture.php

Sorry about the fuzzy pics. I aim to leave my site after dark so I find myself shooting under poor light most of the time.

Overall, I'm pretty happy with how they look. If the fertilizer does the trick, I'll do a lot better than the 22 oz this site yielded last year. I do have a concern about the fertilizer though. Organic sounded good but I didn't notice it contained fish and bone meal till I opened it at the site. The smell is going to attract some critters. Hopefully the chicken wire and staking will protect the plants.

I guess I won't know till I return. And isn't that part of the thrill of guerilla growing - the not-knowing? I wonder if I'll miss it?

Scrappy-doo

:lurk:

Good to see you posting Two Heads. I was inspired to do a couple swamp grows from reading some of your previous threads. That was before I moved to Medville. Looking great!

Cakeboy

Feeding the Roos
ICMag Donor
Hey two heads

That bangi haze sounds good, have you smoked that one before? Good effect?

two heads

Veteran
Hey two heads

That bangi haze sounds good, have you smoked that one before? Good effect?

I haven't but I've heard good things. I just hope it matures in time here (by around the first week of October).

I did grow Critical + 2.0 last year and quite like it. It tested well too:
THC-A: 19.2%
Delta-9 THC: 1.4%
Total THC: 20.6%
Total Potential THC: 18.2%
CBD: Trace (<1%)

wow as usual your swamp grows are top level. they look really big this year to be honest. i have a good feeling about your yields this year

actually i have a question, you said you realized you need to add ferts at the end of july. so you have top dressed the plants with dry ferts and will let the rain wash it in? i ask as i also want to add some top dressing to my garden, thanks

two heads

Veteran
actually i have a question, you said you realized you need to add ferts at the end of july. so you have top dressed the plants with dry ferts and will let the rain wash it in? i ask as i also want to add some top dressing to my garden, thanks

Yes, I top-dressed the plants. The fertilizer is organic and time-release so I'm not too worried about burning. As I mentioned, I just hope the fishy smell doesn't attract attention from clumsy critters who might knock the plants over. I tied off three of them before I ran out of twine. The other two would be hard to tie off actually, with no decent trees near them.

two heads

Veteran
It's been a month and it was time to add more fertilizer so off to the swamp I went this evening. I made sure to arrive before dark so I could check on flowering more carefully and, hopefully, take some good photos.

Here's how the garden looked as I entered:
picture.php

The yellowing looks appropriate to this stage of flowering so I think the fertilizer is doing it's job. The plants are all pretty big and full. This is pretty typical of how tall they are when I'm standing next to them and reaching as high as I can:
picture.php

The two Bangi Haze are big but still early on in flowering. They'll be well into October. If the weather holds, I'd like nothing better than to bring them home on October 17 - the first day of legalization here in Canada.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

two heads

Veteran
The Critical + 2.0s, on the other hand, are well into flowering. There's three of them. One is showing the same kind of nutrient deficiency I had last year on one side of the plant only. I added more fertilizer to all so I think it will recover, but I wonder if an animal disturbed the soil after visited last time, attracted by the smell.
picture.php

picture.php

The interesting thing is that the wounded plant has the most aromatic flowers at this point. Here's a bunch of Critical bud shots. I think they want about 4-5 more weeks but they will be heavy plants by then.
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

two heads

Veteran
Ha, more buds. I love this time of year!
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

All in all, the garden is looking good. I added more organic fertilizer (mixed with Pro-Mix this time), spread more slug bait, tied the plants off a bit better against their (hopefully) coming weight gain, and plucked most of the yellowing sun leaves. Here's how it looked as I left after sunset:
picture.php

One thing I didn't have to do was water. None of these root pouches are sitting in standing water, but they soak up the swamp like a sponge:
picture.php

Thanks for checking out the garden. I'll be back in about a month.

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Lawd have mercy.

Adopting my best Jamaican accent : TwoHeads he dont faka boat, mon.

Those plants are the stuff stoner dreams are made of, without question.

I ran out of stash a while back, and have gone through the usual insomnia as a result, as my system adapts to this strange and novel scenario called reality.

But now, the cravings are back as I contemplate these magnificent monsters created in the uncharted backwaters of the Great White North, by the master swamp grower bar none.

Time to re-float my trusty old dugout canoe, and weigh anchor, with a pack of beans in my pocket, and a machete in my hand, set to do battle with the ever-encroaching undergrowth, since time waits for no man.

TwoHeads, my hat is off to you :tiphat:

two heads

Veteran
Oh man, sorry to hear you've run out Swamp Thang. I'm going to just make it to harvest, thankfully. The insomnia can be a real pain. Have you tried melatonin? Thanks for your kind words, now, get out your canoe and start planting! (I seem to recall you're in a tropical climate, right?)

Buddler

Veteran
In Bc there are a lot of nice swamps and wild irises which i love walking thru too many people to plant there anymore come oct who cares .i bet your gonna miss those swamp days come legalization i know i do .Great thread see ya in amonth with some banghi flowers they should withstand the wet nites..Great thread thanks..B

Swamp Thang

Veteran
Oh man, sorry to hear you've run out Swamp Thang. I'm going to just make it to harvest, thankfully. The insomnia can be a real pain. Have you tried melatonin? Thanks for your kind words, now, get out your canoe and start planting! (I seem to recall you're in a tropical climate, right?)

I'm in the tropics just a few degrees north of the Equator. I ran out of weed because I just got lazy, and yet again wrongly assumed I might be able to score some good bud locally, so I'll need to keep growing my own, or quit for good.

Gotta confess I do get weary of suiting up in hazmat gear to fend off the nasty bugs down in that swamp, since that clothing gets really hot, especially when I am hacking away at undergrowth, yet, there simply is no other location that is entirely devoid of human traffic, so, to the swamp I continue to pledge allegiance.

Also, the minor inconvenience of sweating it out in the swamp does pale in comparison to the prospect of doing 5 to 10 in the pokey with good behavior, were I to get nailed for cultivation in this neck of the woods.

Reading outdoor growing posts in this forum, I get to dreaming wistfully of one day growing some quality bud right in my back garden here with no worries about the law, but I'll need to live to 150 years old for that dream to become a reality ha ha.

two heads

Veteran
I hear you. I have a love/hate relationship with the swamp after 20+ years of growing there. I'll miss it but I won't, which I bet you can relate to. I hope you don't have to live to 150 to see a change in the law. I never thought I'd see the day here in Canada. Happily I was wrong.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Gardens did pretty well this year! Some of them do look a big hungry, but they're huge! Supposed to top dress feed organic fertilizer once a month, but I do it every 3 weeks. Just have to load them up when you go. Congratulations on legalization! I bet that's a sigh of relief!

The Critical 2.0 is nice and frosty! Make sure to harvest a couple buds a week early to have it dried and ready to go Oct 17!

Curious how the haze does up there. Is it just becoming ready to pick when you bring it home?

Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to watching them grow!

Latest posts

Latest posts