What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

More pressure means faster recovery?

Why is it when im distilling gas, recovery rates speed up while injecting? It builds pressure until i stop injection. In normal runs should i be filling up collection to build up pressure before i start recovering for faster speeds? Im using a TRS21. Thank you for anyones time

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Why is it when im distilling gas, recovery rates speed up while injecting? It builds pressure until i stop injection. In normal runs should i be filling up collection to build up pressure before i start recovering for faster speeds? Im using a TRS21. Thank you for anyones time

As RB notes inlet pressure affects recovery rate. At atmospheric pressure of 14.7 psi, each time the piston cycles, it pushes out around cylinder volume x volumetric efficiency, which we can ignore for the purposes of this comparison.

At 2 apmospheres, or 29.4 psi inlet pressure, one cycle of the piston will deliver two cylinder volumes and at 3 X atmospheric pressure, it will deliver three cylinder volumes.

Zipsort

How should I go about keeping the pressure high for longer to sustain the higher recovery rates?

Depending on your systems ability, if you can rig up a valve coming off your solvent tanks vapor port back into your system (collection/boil pot, or a manifold) you can recycle vapor in the tank to keep the pressure up higher..

You have to experiment though, because after awhile you're just unnecessarily recycling. I usually stop recycling around 10psi and then chug away at the rest of the liquid remaining.

Also make sure to use a needle valve, don't open full bore.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
How should I go about keeping the pressure high for longer to sustain the higher recovery rates?

Pressure drops because you are recovering faster than you are vaporizing. If you add heat to replace the lost heat of vaporization, it will vaporize faster.