What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Has anyone had seeds that took a lot longer to sprout?

R

Rubber Chicken

I'm wondering if anyone has had any seeds that take a lot longer to sprout than other ones?

I have sometimes planted a batch of seeds and one might take longer than the others but i mean has anyone had a whole certain batch of seeds that take longer than usual to sprout?

Thanks.

R

Rubber Chicken

A whole batch took ~10 days?

And if so, do you know if they were harder than normal shells?

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Stratifying the shell (lightly) does help in germination :)

I had to look that word up, and it wasn't what I thought it meant. And in the context of your sentence, I think it doesn't mean what you mean either.

Easy7

Veteran
The life of a seed. They all have their own little life force so honestly they do their own thing. It's small differences like how thick the shell is, hydration inside the seed and embryo. Temp has a bit to do with it as well.

Getting the most out of a seed has a lot to do with nature and nurture. They say kelp has a chemical in it that aids germination. Fresh kelp would be the best. Meaning raw kelp that is dried and extracted cold in tea. Bottle kelp may not have this chem.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I just had a GB BX2 seed that literally took exactly 10 days to germinate (70F). Thats why I like paper towell method instead of direct sow. All the GB took 5+ days to just germinate. Thick Shells indeed.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Older seeds typically take a little longer to germinate. As the years pass so does the life force within them.

Improper storage also contributes to a shorter than normal shelf life.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I had to look that word up, and it wasn't what I thought it meant. And in the context of your sentence, I think it doesn't mean what you mean either.
Your right :) not my word next time I will check up 1st LOL. Lightly scratch the surface with fine sand paper.
ETA: "scarify" was the word I meant. Thanks Lost in SOG :tiphat:

Last edited:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I've heard Gibberellic Acid GA3 is used to pop old seeds. Perhaps not any good if you are dealing with unknowns, but if you have a specific strain that always causes problems (slow to germinate) might be worth a try @ 10%

barefrog

Hola Gang

Yes seed take the time they want
some are fast some take weeks

Personally I plant my seeds in
dirt I try all and dirt still the best
for me.
One thing I do tho is soak the
seed in Peroxide to kill the nasty
that may inhabite the seed's shell.

Bare

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
I had some that were quite thick shelled and I didn't scarify them before soak so just left them in soil and they all came up after a 3 weeks to a month.

I think it's quite fresh seeds that might make you wait for them to sprout as well because most fresh seeds have some quantity of phytochemicals retarding their sprouting until at least a season has past. Old seeds just won't sprout and will often get signs of fungal infection very early after adding water. It can be very useful to carefully observe beans to decide if they need their shells thinning down but usually seeds always sprout well within 4 days in sterile water.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
I had some that were quite thick shelled and I didn't scarify them before soak so just left them in soil and they all came up after a 3 weeks to a month.

I think it's quite fresh seeds that might make you wait for them to sprout as well because most fresh seeds have some quantity of phytochemicals retarding their sprouting until at least a season has past. Old seeds just won't sprout and will often get signs of fungal infection very early after adding water. It can be very useful to carefully observe beans to decide if they need their shells thinning down but usually seeds always sprout well within 4 days in sterile water.
Thanks! That's the word I was looking for :tiphat:

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran

Scarification in botany involves weakening, opening, or otherwise altering the coat of a seed to encourage germination. Scarification is often done mechanically, thermally, and chemically. The seeds of many plant species are often impervious to water and gases, thus preventing or delaying germination.
Scarification (botany) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Scarification in botany involves weakening, opening, or otherwise altering the coat of a seed to encourage germination. Scarification is often done mechanically, thermally, and chemically. The seeds of many plant species are often impervious to water and gases, thus preventing or delaying germination.
Scarification (botany) - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarification_(botany)

I am aware of that. That's not the word he used in his post.

His original post is unmodified. And I quoted it. Hence my confusion when he used the incorrect word.

But because of his incorrect usage, I learned a new word. So it's Saul Goodman.:D

Easy7

Veteran
I've heard Gibberellic Acid GA3 is used to pop old seeds. Perhaps not any good if you are dealing with unknowns, but if you have a specific strain that always causes problems (slow to germinate) might be worth a try @ 10%

I think that's what is in kelp. There could be other natural sources as well. I'll read about that for awhile.

Medfinder

Chemon 91
Sure.

Anywhere from one to ten days.

and... i have had some i tossed the soil outside and a year later they sprouted.

heres a picture of one

picture.php

R

Rubber Chicken

I have germinate a fair few seeds over the years, but i have to say the Sour Strawberry that seedbay had, which the gorilla seeds now have are not viable.

I had 2 packets a few months ago that didn't sprout and only bought some more because they were cheap and thought i would give them another try but they are the same.... not viable or VERY weak at least.

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Yes they all pop about the same time as the rest of the batch....

Even if the batch is old and takes a bit.

I see too many fungal issues when I wait longer than ten days.

I soak mine in peroxide as well.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
My experience is batch by batch all pop within a day or so.

Longest was 20+ days, older white rhino stock.

Got two females and one male from the pack,
open pollination and kept the original male,
still have him.

Latest posts

Latest posts