What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seed Sprouting in humidity dome

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
A very sad event triggers this post unfortunately.

I have been popping a lot of seeds in the last month and thought I had this down.

Well I had a freebie pack of Brown Sugar X Long Bottom Leaf from Bad Dawg, and I germinated as per normal, paper towel method, until they cracked open a bit, and then I put them into jiffy pellets as was becoming my favorite most reliable method. I have done a few pops like this recently but thought I would improve this run and put the dish of peat pellets into my humidity dome where the humidity was 95% and temps 70-80F. 1/9 came up 3 days later, and day 5 none of the rest had yet come up. I finally dug into them and saw that none had done anything, when squeezed they had the creamy puss inside explode. Some taproots just seemed to rot at the tip. Something happened to them in there, and based on sprouting development it happened day 1 or 2 of being inside the dome.

All these germination trays etc. come with humidity domes. I thought 99% RH was what you wanted until they sprout out of the ground.

I have no idea what happened here. I know you don't need to PH soak the jiffy. I know that regular tap water is fine. It has worked fine on the last 3 batches. So what the hell happened ? Should they be exposed to moving fresh air even when undergound still?

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
All Im looking for is I should be sprouting inside a humidity dome etc with 99% humidity. I thought thats what you wanted. If you have good or bad results with a dome please share si I know. for now I will not be using it.

T

Teddybrae

I grew a large Sativa variety. sometimes there was seed. when I trimmed the plants I threw the seed under a citrus tree in my garden. this was Autumn. come Spring the seeds germinated on one inch of rain in the mulch around the tree and kept on growing.

thought you might like to know this about Cannabis.

cheers!

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Yeah sometimes it seems like I'm going backward in this hobby - things that I didn't pay attention too and thought nothing hard of and did fine with before, I now completely fail and am getting super intimidated about, even though I have gained so much more knowledge and experience. Things im having issues with shouldn't be this complicated.

Easy7

Veteran
A humidity dome should only be used to slow down the drying out of the medium. With cloning humidity is good, cause the cutting needs h2o through it's foilage

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
A very sad event triggers this post unfortunately.

I have been popping a lot of seeds in the last month and thought I had this down.

Well I had a freebie pack of Brown Sugar X Long Bottom Leaf from Bad Dawg, and I germinated as per normal, paper towel method, until they cracked open a bit, and then I put them into jiffy pellets as was becoming my favorite most reliable method. I have done a few pops like this recently but thought I would improve this run and put the dish of peat pellets into my humidity dome where the humidity was 95% and temps 70-80F. 1/9 came up 3 days later, and day 5 none of the rest had yet come up. I finally dug into them and saw that none had done anything, when squeezed they had the creamy puss inside explode. Some taproots just seemed to rot at the tip. Something happened to them in there, and based on sprouting development it happened day 1 or 2 of being inside the dome.

All these germination trays etc. come with humidity domes. I thought 99% RH was what you wanted until they sprout out of the ground.

I have no idea what happened here. I know you don't need to PH soak the jiffy. I know that regular tap water is fine. It has worked fine on the last 3 batches. So what the hell happened ? Should they be exposed to moving fresh air even when undergound still?
My understanding is that "new seedlings" require high humidity because until their roots get established, their uptake is through the leaves. So I use the dome and never had any issues with seeds dying off (knock on wood)

IMHO one should sit down (unmedicated) LOL and figure out the common denominator when troubleshooting. So you have had success in the past then, all of a sudden... How deep are you burying them? Could it be associated with sub par seeds for whatever reason, etc? If you have any seeds (from successful runs) left, try striking those as a benchmark so to speak, and see what happens.

Forums are great but they can be a pain, regardless of topic. Opinions are like belly buttons! When faced with a dilemma, I ask myself if the entire commercial industry uses humidity domes and, as is well... Where did I screw up?

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I use a humidity dome on all my seed. I sow the beans directly in to Jiffy 7 wafers. I then put them on a horticultural heating mat. I remove the humidity dome after the first seed sprouts. Last run I got germination on 11 of 12 beans. I just removed a humidity dome today. I had a problem with Growers Choice Amnesia seeds. Only 2 out of 10 popped. When I complained they would not back up their product. I will never do business with them again. I've been growing for 47 years.

Bobby Boucher

Been down that road. Sorry for your loss. Put $400 dollars of seeds under a dome once after taking a break to rethink everything. Super discouraging. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.

I know some dank growers clone without domes or might sprout seedlings with them, but I would wager that anybody who hasn't dialed in yet would benefit from covering their clones and uncovering their seedlings.

This hobby gets stupid expensive when you start to rely on the forums for information. Better to have friends or family with real world experience who don't mind holding your hand.

Anyways.. My belly button needs a warshing. It stinks.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Pretty sure you "cooked them" to death. I say that because I have done the same thing a few years ago. Used one of those little 2" domes that come with a empty tray. Loaded it up with seeds, put the dome on. Didn't realize how hot is was gonna get that day. Dome had condensation all over the inside, soil was really warm to the touch. The seeds when squeezed were like a popped pimple, lol.

From then on, it was plant seeds directly in medium. No dome, and only a heat mat in the dead of winter.

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Been down that road. Sorry for your loss. Put $400 dollars of seeds under a dome once after taking a break to rethink everything. Super discouraging. Part of the learning curve, I suppose.

I know some dank growers clone without domes or might sprout seedlings with them, but I would wager that anybody who hasn't dialed in yet would benefit from covering their clones and uncovering their seedlings.

This hobby gets stupid expensive when you start to rely on the forums for information. Better to have friends or family with real world experience who don't mind holding your hand.

... any hobby gets expensive on forums! :tiphat:

When I was diagnosed in '12 I visited a few forums only to find 10 million cures for 1 ailment, everyone had an opinion. Some close friends had some fine ideas as well. ... and your reference would be? Nothing replaces good research and asking specific questions :)

Nichead

If using a dome, you have to take it off every day for at least an hour, even when cloning. Mold thrives on the peat pellets in high humidity, and the plants (clones or seeds) will also wilt if you have never removed the lid and acclimated them to normal humidity.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Suprised at how many more people chimed in! Icmag is pretty amazing in this regard. I see other forums where newbies ask basic questions like this and get no response for years. So thanks everyone, youve helped steer me in the right direction again.

My understanding is that "new seedlings" require high humidity because until their roots get established, their uptake is through the leaves. So I use the dome and never had any issues with seeds dying off (knock on wood)

IMHO one should sit down (unmedicated) LOL and figure out the common denominator when troubleshooting. So you have had success in the past then, all of a sudden... How deep are you burying them? Could it be associated with sub par seeds for whatever reason, etc? If you have any seeds (from successful runs) left, try striking those as a benchmark so to speak, and see what happens.

Forums are great but they can be a pain, regardless of topic. Opinions are like belly buttons! When faced with a dilemma, I ask myself if the entire commercial industry uses humidity domes and, as is well... Where did I screw up?

Ive been burying seeds 1/4" deep, and that top layer is added on very lightly to make it easy for the sprout to push its way through. It could have been the seeds but most likely I am to blame. 1/8 did come up right away so hopefully its a girl and makes me proud.

Yeah that makes me feel better that this was only a pack of freebies, and not a couple hundred dollar packs. In fact I popped a pack of Goji OG by bodhi right before this, got 8/8 germination and sprouting. I would have been devastated if they would have been the ones lost.

Pretty sure you "cooked them" to death. I say that because I have done the same thing a few years ago. Used one of those little 2" domes that come with a empty tray. Loaded it up with seeds, put the dome on. Didn't realize how hot is was gonna get that day. Dome had condensation all over the inside, soil was really warm to the touch. The seeds when squeezed were like a popped pimple, lol.

From then on, it was plant seeds directly in medium. No dome, and only a heat mat in the dead of winter.

I would agree that they may have gotten cooked, I did have a hygrometer in the dome the whole time as I had clones in there. Temps did stay in the 75-85 Range. I was not airing it out so I think that was the doing in of this batch. I stopped using a heating pad as well as it seems to cause more harm than good lately for clones and like you said cooking seedlings. I have had success since this incident with more recent seedlings thank god!

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
If using a dome, you have to take it off every day for at least an hour, even when cloning. Mold thrives on the peat pellets in high humidity, and the plants (clones or seeds) will also wilt if you have never removed the lid and acclimated them to normal humidity.
Good point :) That being said get domes with vents, open them 1hr per day if so desired. I run my dome vents shut 1st week, 3 days vents 1/2 shut, 4 days vents wide open. By this time (2 weeks) I have 3 sets of serrated leaves ----> beer cups. Week 1 of veg starts.

BTW I do not water during this phase. If the top of the peat plug is dry, I mist it. I have seen folks spray the inside of their dome every time they lift it up. If it has condensation on the roof/walls = no need for water. My humidity is coming from the peat plug and a strive to maintain RH with a slight condensation akin to your bathroom mirror after a shower. Just a light coating not large droplets hanging from the ceiling.

I say this because I have seen it done.! Hope this helps :tiphat:

Switcher56

Comfortably numb!
Suprised at how many more people chimed in! Icmag is pretty amazing in this regard. I see other forums where newbies ask basic questions like this and get no response for years. So thanks everyone, youve helped steer me in the right direction again.

Ive been burying seeds 1/4" deep, and that top layer is added on very lightly to make it easy for the sprout to push its way through. It could have been the seeds but most likely I am to blame. 1/8 did come up right away so hopefully its a girl and makes me proud.

Yeah that makes me feel better that this was only a pack of freebies, and not a couple hundred dollar packs. In fact I popped a pack of Goji OG by bodhi right before this, got 8/8 germination and sprouting. I would have been devastated if they would have been the ones lost.

I would agree that they may have gotten cooked, I did have a hygrometer in the dome the whole time as I had clones in there. Temps did stay in the 75-85 Range. I was not airing it out so I think that was the doing in of this batch. I stopped using a heating pad as well as it seems to cause more harm than good lately for clones and like you said cooking seedlings. I have had success since this incident with more recent seedlings thank god!
I have never used a heating pad. IMHO if you are watering with room temp water, I don't see a need for a htg pad. Stores sell stuff and us "dumb" consumers buy stuff. I don't buy anything that is not shiny LOL.
I am glad you got it figures out :dance013:

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
only dome I use is a 16oz clear solo cup with a 1" hole carefully drilled into the bottom... seed>shot glass w tap water, til they crack > into small dish w wet paper towel covered with saran wrap, day or two till tap root appears> into medium & cover with cup over seed spot. stays in place til 4-6 days after germ. then cup goes away.. not too much air movement... 78-82F - water some every other day until they demand more not too much light.. Using 1, 2' 12w T5 in my cloning area which is above the veg area which is powered by 4, 2' T5s.. if the seed does its part, success is about 95%, clone success is in the 90% area in a bubble cloner (home made) no dome... humidity 45%-60%.. and it took a long time before I'd get it (seeds) right that 90% of the time.. and yes I've tried heat mats and domes, spraying and other shit I cant remember.. KISS

P

Pinnate

I have a habit of shoving them an inch into the medium ─ max germ. rate and the husk is always left behind...

That's after soaking overnight in a glass with a touch of bleach or HP added!

No fucking around with paper towels and shit...

I once found a stray shoot in an old tub of soil ─ its stem was about 18 inches long.

Lust for life, eh?

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Also after a disaster like losing a bunch of seeds. I like to try the next few seeds, with seeds that I don't care about that much. That way If I fuck up again, it's not a big deal. With that, comes this : If you do pop seeds you don't care about. Take at least one clone from a "one and done" seed plant before you flower it. I have had several plants I didn't think I was gonna like from seeds I didn't care about. That turned out super awesome, and I regretted not having them backed up.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
I was thinking about that today while I was in the garden planning things out. I thought even DT doens't put plants into flower until clones root, I should follow that advice and keep stress levels down. Sometimes I take cuttings at flip, but then they don't make it, so I take another one at week 2, and if they don't make it then I have to reveg, and then I got this big eyesore taking up space for 2 months in my veg space. So yes, I think that is a good rule for me as well. Ive been less worried about keeping my perpetual cycle filled, and more on the actual quality and veg cycle of plants that go in. Quality over Quanity. Shit quanity ends up being a lot of work for little pay. Thats no fun. Ok. End of Rant. Thx dt

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Recently...

Recently...

Recently I’ve popped some seeds, in a paper towel, in a shot glass, planted directly in the medium, all of this within the last two months.

The only seeds that didn’t go, were a 6 pack of freebies. (They didn’t even crack in a shot glass) The other two packs all germinated, also old beans and gifted beans.

Some times you get weak beans, it happens. :plant grow: All of the methods and mediums have worked for me.

A humidity dome is good for clones, although I usually use an Air-Cloner with no dome for clones.

Good Luck :dance013: