What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pressing/ Rolling dry-sift into a ball?

R

Rubber Chicken

Hi ICmag friends,

I was just wondering what methods, if anyone uses dry sifted powder hash, you use to roll/press it into a ball?

I haven't done it for a few years but i used to sift it through a silk screen and then put it into vacuum sealed plastic and then sit it in near boiling water for a while, then take it out of the water and squish it.

Is there a better way?

Thanks. RC :)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Frenchy Canolli (search google) has some videos where he puts the powder in a plastic bag (or between parchment) and uses a glass jar filled with hot water to press it.

Roll the glass jar over the load. Fold the load over and press a again. Repeat. Again. Eventually, the trics will start to break and it will get darker and then you can mold it into whatever shape you prefer.

I don't use a glass jar with water any more. I just use one of the hot plates from my old rosin press and a standard rolling pin.

EDIT: Top row, center video. http://www.frenchycannoli.com/gallery/

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
No problem bud. Glad to help. I just bought a rubber chicken for my dog and he loves it. LMAO

Enjoy

R

Rubber Chicken

No problem bud. Glad to help. I just bought a rubber chicken for my dog and he loves it. LMAO

Enjoy

My dog has a rubber pig :)

It looks like they have stronger bottles wherever he is.... i wouldn't trust the bottles here. :yoinks:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Got a rosin press?

Makes short work of bubble or sift set at 60-70F.

Bottles work but if you're pressing quantity it becomes a pain in the ass.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Got a rosin press?

Makes short work of bubble or sift set at 60-70F.

60 -70F ?????????? WTF??????? REALLY ????

I tried pressing mine in my rosin press at 190 - 200F and it turned to liquid shit instantly and destroyed a gram of beautiful hash. LMAO. No wonder. Maybe my temp was a little high. LOL

Would that be the same temperature whether using a filter bag or not? Although. I think everyone uses a filter with sift or hash, anyway.

I actually prefer to smoke some wonderful tasting full melt bubble hash over rosin dabs much of the time. With all the new fangled vapes and rosin toys, I vape more rosin now but, my favorite and most memorable tasting hits come from that sweet full melt bubble.

And, I still roll my bubble hash by hand with a heated plate and wood rolling pin. Yummy, makes me hungry. LOL

Easy7

Veteran
The old trick is to put it wrapped up in your shoe. Walk around with it a day or two. The heat from your foot and the pressure of standing on it presses it. Then you can make it any shape you want.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I love making shash. For myself. Wrapped in parchment and an airtight bag.

Ringo, I mean to use the press to melt the sift or bubble into one mass. I do 7-15g at a time. Pancake it out, fold it into a square and pancake again. Repeat until homogenous.

Much less of a pain in the ass than having a pot of water on the stove full of wine bottles. I see no difference in the outcome myself.

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Duh, yeah, OK. That makes more sense. LOL Thanks.

I use the bottom half of my rosin plates and a rolling pin. So, I guess that's close to 2 rosin plates. LOL I never really checked the plate temp with a thermometer. I just always knew when it was right. I'll have to check it and see how close I am to your 60 - 70F

I like to watch it change colors as I roll across it.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Yes it is nice.

Anything works. Kenrgy on IG uses a pancake griddle and a rolling pin.

Hot tortilla press?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I remember we took 4 ounces of keif and had my fat ass wife sit on it on a 90 degree hot Summer afternoon while I tickled her.

She rolled that hash as flat as a pancake. We roller her over and did it again and again.

The hash was really good but when you smoked it, it smelled like shit. We used to call it butt hash.... full stink buttle.

I was going to keep that method secret but, I guess forums are all about sharing so....

R

Rubber Chicken

The piece i have made is malleable-ish after rolling with hot water in a bottle but goes hard when it cools down.

Does more rolling make any difference or it will always stay hard?

Thanks again.

R

Rubber Chicken

After some research and more rolling it is clear that it does get more malleable with more rolling.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Just like bread dough. As you knead it more and more the dough gets stiffer and stiffer. With the hash, after a while, I can't even press it any more because it's too hard. That's when it's done. LOL

BerrySeal

If it's hard to stick it needs more sifting.. Most the dessert these days has little elongated shits in it that ain't trichs or leaf, some mutated fake trich one garbage. Trichome 'necks' that won't melt at all..

therevverend

Veteran
If I have 3 grams or less I wrap it in plastic wrap and hand press it. No reason to expose it to all that extra heat. The warmth from my hand is enough. The bigger the hands (fatter the ass?) the more hash you'd be able to press.
In Robert Connell Clarke's book hashish he mentions ustads with huge powerful hands covered in callouses who'd sit by the fire during winter pressing ounce after ounce of hash. I'm guessing they may also be masters of the ass slapping hashish? Red ass hash? (was there another thread covering this topic?)
We're all much to lazy to sit around a heater or fire for a couple hours hand pressing a large quantity of hashish. I'll put a sheet pan and something heavy, a 20 lb weight for instance, in the sun at noon. Wait 45 minutes then wrap the hashish in plastic wrap and put it on the pan under the weight. Let it sit for 20 minutes, do hand stands and Lindy hops on top of the weight.
Or if it's dark outside I'll wrap up the resin, run the hottest tap water I can get into a bowl. Stick it in that for a couple minutes then smush it under something heavy.
Or wrap up the hashish, cover it in wet newspaper. Toss it in a frying pan at medium low heat. Fry up my newspaper, without oil, stick it between two boards or weights or pans or whatever. And stomp on it.
Many of the methods people recommend are just too hot. It smells good and nasty when you open it but that's the smell of your terpenes evaporating. The trick is getting it warm enough to stick without getting it too hot. Hand pressing, temperature of the human body is 98.6 degrees F. If your hash is pure it doesn't need to be any hotter.
The more plant matter the hotter the temperature needs to be to get it to stick. If it takes the heat of boiling water, 212 degrees F, your hash is funky. Use tighter screens and quit beating it so hard you flunky!
On the other hand if you're making commercial hashish, not worried as much about potency, and want it to have that nice chocolate brown export hash look 212 degrees is perfect.
To summarize PRESSED HASHISH=PRESSURE + FRICTION + HEAT. Pressure and friction create heat so GREATER PRESSURE+FRICTION=LESS HEAT.