What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2nd Build-DIY COB with Vero 29's x 6

Here is mine my camera is shit tho. And I'm too Donkey Brains rite now to flip the pic
picture.php
l

The 2 silver heatsinks are cxa 3050 @ 1400ma 3200k cri 80. The black sink in the middle is cxb 3590 @ 1600ma 3200k cri 80. And the other 2 black sinks are 150w "full spectrum" I like to hang em on chains sometimes I unhook 2 points on the heatsink so the light is sideways. I tie my buds to the top of my tent instead of stabbing bamboo in my roots. I got good air flow and light coverage so the plant sitting in one spot is just fine. I grow 1 plant and get usually 8oz

3x cxb3070, ad, 3500k @1400mA. 90cri iirc. :tiphat:

That is some nice choices. Was gonna do the same chips till i saw the vero 29s at half the price. Although i think you get what you pay for with the Cree's.

The 2 silver heatsinks are cxa 3050 @ 1400ma 3200k cri 80. The black sink in the middle is cxb 3590 @ 1600ma 3200k cri 80. And the other 2 black sinks are 150w "full spectrum" I like to hang em on chains sometimes I unhook 2 points on the heatsink so the light is sideways. I tie my buds to the top of my tent instead of stabbing bamboo in my roots. I got good air flow and light coverage so the plant sitting in one spot is just fine. I grow 1 plant and get usually 8oz

Nice setup donkeybrains. How many chips per sink?

Peace, Roast.

Just 1 chip per sink each has its on driver and power supply for the fan. The "Full spectrum" chips are junk in my opinion. They have rows of diodes that burn out in less than a year and the plants just don't look rite. And the buds taste over done. The white lights are the shit!

Just 1 chip per sink each has its on driver and power supply for the fan. The "Full spectrum" chips are junk in my opinion. They have rows of diodes that burn out in less than a year and the plants just don't look rite. And the buds taste over done. The white lights are the shit!

Awesome. So you can confirm that white COBs blow the blurples away.

Peace, Roast.

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Looking good guys... I built a system years ago using single cree diodes. Blue and Red Far cool white FARred and UV. for flower and another light 4300k cree for veg. both lights were build just on 2x4 sheets of aluminum. I found watt for watt they performed as well as a hid without the 1/2 the heat but unfortunately I abandoned the whole thing because of the cost. I spent well into 4k for the whole project. Worked with Digi Key and Cutter long before anyone else was doing this.

Ill dig up some pics when I get a chance. Sucks the leds are so expensive you know it dont cost china shit to make them...if the price was affordable it would put hid out of biz.

Looking good guys... I built a system years ago using single cree diodes. Blue and Red Far cool white FARred and UV. for flower and another light 4300k cree for veg. both lights were build just on 2x4 sheets of aluminum. I found watt for watt they performed as well as a hid without the 1/2 the heat but unfortunately I abandoned the whole thing because of the cost. I spent well into 4k for the whole project. Worked with Digi Key and Cutter long before anyone else was doing this.

Ill dig up some pics when I get a chance. Sucks the leds are so expensive you know it dont cost china shit to make them...if the price was affordable it would put hid out of biz.

Thanks for dropping in Twisted pleasur. Ya the tech has come a long way in recent years. Shit 4k spent these days could mimic the sun lol. These 3 Vero 29 rigs cost about $230-250 each to build depending on your skills, tools and parts you already have.

Peace, Roast

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Well lets say I wanted to build something that would out do a gavita 1k as far a coverage and power? What would you suggest? I want to mimic the sun. lol... and not have the heat...

Ok here is some pics.

You can see I built them like a tunel surrounding the table and plants. This is the flower array

These sucked 300 something watts and they would yield as good if not better then a 400

Twisted pleasur

Veteran
Veg. Array

Veg. Array

Sorry for double post. I could not add more then 5 pics here.
These were just cree 4300k diodes and these draw about 300ish watts and you can see it pretty much covers a 4x8 table.
I used for years and not one problem with it. I just moved to Gavitas. My Gavita set 250 watts 4'.5" above the table blows away the Led's I built.
But she did work for sure... For what it was...

Hey Roasty how high do you keep your cree lights above the plant?

Good question! Depending on your dimming capabilities, and dependig what stage your in, makes big differences. Seedlings i keep about 2' away with about 30% of max. Veg i go about 1' away at 50%. Flowering i go progressively more power till i reach max power. Always with about 1' clearance. Really it depends on how much juice you have and how much space your blasting. Always make sure your not bleaching. You'll know if it's too much, but the damage will be done. These COBs are powerful if driven well. If i had a par meter of some kind i could give better recommendations, but what i do is working. Once i get build 2 done I'll have to figure it out all over again lol. Hope this helps.

Peace, Roast.

jikko77

just for the sake of exchanging info.
i've tried to do a grow keeping them at a fixed distance, it's my current grow.
but i've a little box too, just 140cm height.
too early to say what i'll harvest, but so far i've never seen a compact bush like the one i've right now.

I bought a dimmable driver but it didn't come with a dim switch. I think it's DALI capability? What dimmer do you use? Thank you so much for sharing everyone!

I bought a dimmable driver but it didn't come with a dim switch. I think it's DALI capability? What dimmer do you use? Thank you so much for sharing everyone!

Sharing is what its all about my friends. I buy mean well drivers in the B version and use a 100k pot to do the dimming. I got 5 100k pots for $5 on Amazon Prime. Simply solder 2 leads from the dim out of the driver to the pot. It lets you dim in a range of 10%-100% of current. I'll take a closeup of the build I'm working on for you.

Peace, Roast.

just for the sake of exchanging info.
i've tried to do a grow keeping them at a fixed distance, it's my current grow.
but i've a little box too, just 140cm height.
too early to say what i'll harvest, but so far i've never seen a compact bush like the one i've right now.

That's badass jikko! Defiantly keep us posted on how your current grow shapes up.

Peace, Roast.

Still learning to solder lol

attachment.php

Turning the knob.

attachment.php

Bottom view.

attachment.php

Peace, Roast.

Attachments

• 20160407_172741.jpg
    20160407_172741.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 17