What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

cannashortening

Cork144

looking into making some cannashortening to make myself some chew sweets, as im sugar addict im sorry to say lol:tiphat:
does anyone know if theres a ratio of peak absorbsion, say if im using too much weed with too little shortening, will I be losing THC by not giving enough fat to capture it

could anybody shed any light, maybe ounces of shortening per oz of bud, because I really fancy a cannabis flavoured drumstick lolly

You can change this up as you go, make it vegetarian or not:tiphat:

Ingredients

2Cups shortening (brand names might be a little higher quality)

2Tablespoons of cooking oil (grape seed works well)

1 filter material (cheesecloth, fine mesh coffee filter, the fats will clog paper filters)

7-9cups water

2.5oz+ of the high quality bud or sugar leaf. (Extracts can be used, just adjust the ratios as needed)

1 5quart sauce pan (also a crockpot)

2 transparent half gallon pitchers (or other food safe vessels)

In the five quart sauce pan mix water, oil, Shortening, and bud shake material (The finer ground the better)

Bring this mixture to boil on high watching closely, when it starts to boil immediately turn down heat to a very low simmer and cover for 18-24 hours. (This is where a crockpot comes in handy)

Turn off heat and let it cool for about 3-4 hours, now use the chosen filter to strain the liquid out of the pan and into the pitchers, make sure too squeeze out as much of the liquids as possible.

Place vessels in the fridge for a couple hours so the canna-shortening will separate and solidify on the top of the water, you can use a knife and run it around the inside so that the canna-shortening is easy to grab and put the oil in a container of your choice.

This works in any recipe that calls for shortening. You can also freeze for long term storage. It should keep for a few weeks in the fridge in a covered container.

would coconut oil be ok to use for the cooking oil

Honestly you can use whatever edible cooking oil you want or have, but I have found that the coconut taste kind of lingers in the finished product, and yes I like coconut, but it tastes weird with some things imo:smoke:

Cork144

its a baking fat as far as i can tell, but while researching long lasting soluble fishing hookbaits, I thought of using sugars and gelatin to create things that would release intense ammounts of attractors for long periods of time.

then my mate mentioned he was making brownies and selling them and doing well, while thinking over the cannabutter process in my head, I pondered if it could be done with shortening, and alas, here I am finding out lol

Cork144

while looking at gummybears, better off using coconut oil infusion than shortening as i havent seen any recpies calling for shortening in gummybears

Lard and shortening kinda get tossed around and mixed up quite a bit..:joint:

Lard is animal fat, and shortening is vegetable fat.

It doesn’t really matter what type you use, it just depends on what the finished product will end up being, and how you want it to taste.

If you are making dough/pastries with a canna crust use lard. If it’s for baked goods, things involving sugar, use shortening.

Here is the easiest recipe for gummies, no lard required.

Here is the easiest recipe for hard candy, again no lard required

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The studies I've read say Ghee (clarified butter) and Olive oil are the highest absorbing fats (per gram) available. Interesting that they're also the most easily digestible by all people. ;)

The studies I've read say Ghee (clarified butter) and Olive oil are the highest absorbing fats (per gram) available. Interesting that they're also the most easily digestible by all people. ;)

Yess!!!
We’re onto something!!
:dance013:

I’ve been researching on that very topic for a few years now...

What we use to extract with, will always have a carrier involved. With dairy fats there’s a couple terpenes that carryover along with the chlorophyll. (At certain temperatures)
There are an uncountable amount of verifiable sources of cannabinoids that react differently to different thangs:)

Everyone reacts different to cannabis, just like cannabis reacts different to what we expose it too..