What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ballast Problem - Help!

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
I bought my ballast in 2010, so it's out of warranty, but I was hoping someone here might be able to give me an idea of what the problem might be. I have a 400 W switchable HPS/MH ballast, NOT digital. I've always left the switch in the HPS position and used an MH conversion bulb (because I already had some from my previous ballast). It's been in constant use about 9-10 months of the year since I bought it, never failed to start bulbs.

After being not used for about 2 months, my MH conversion bulb will not start up consistently, mostly not at all. I tried a 2nd MH conversion bulb, same thing. I see the spark in the bulb, so it appears to be getting power, but it never finishes starting up, just that little glow in the middle until I turn it off. My HPS bulb seems to be work better, but I haven’t tried it too many times yet, so I still don’t know if I can depend on the HPS bulb to fire up every time. Does this sound like the ballast is bad? Might it work better if I used a regular MH bulb and flipped the switch? I was thinking, it might take more power to start up the conversion bulb.

One other thought, I wonder if it might be the socket, like something's not making contact or loose. Though if I'm seeing the spark, I guess that's not likely. It's kind of a PITA to check all these things since I have to wait at least 15-20 minutes after it's turned off before I can start it up again. And I have some new seedlings that I'm trying not to upset too much.

Any advice would be appreciated.

John

zombywolf7

Replace the capacitor in the ballast. Any good grow store that handles lights should be able to replace it. Or do it yourself.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
Replace the capacitor in the ballast. Any good grow store that handles lights should be able to replace it. Or do it yourself.

Is that how the bulb is started? I assumed that's the reason I have to wait several minutes after turning it off before it will fire up again, because a capacitor needed to charge. Mine seems to take excessively long to start up again, I usually have to wait at least 15-20 minutes after the power goes out before I can turn it on again.

I'd have no idea how to replace a capacitor, and there's only one grow store in the area that I doubt would have such an item.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
The danger in taking it apart yourself is a charge in the capacitor shocking you.

With care, it's rather simple to take apart a mag ballast. This tutorial is a bit technical, but if you look up each word you don't understand you'll be able to figure it out. You essentially want to take the ballast apart, test to find which part is not working, and get the numbers off the broken part.

Once you know what you're replacing, you can find the capacitor or ignitor you need at nearly any electrical or lighting supply online.

DrDee

Right on Zombywolf7 (does the 7 indicate that there are six more of you out there? a zombywolf club maybe?)

I had to replace a capacitor once...easy to do (two wires) Just short out the old one with a screwdriver before you remove it and you'll be fine.
JD

Last edited:

Easy7

Veteran
Or just get a new ballast. Magnetic ballasts are not a lot of money. Save worrying about nosy repair people.

al70

Veteran
Is there replaceable capacitors in a digital ballast, i've got 4 digital 600s giving me trouble.

al70

Veteran
their only a couple of years old, when they get new bulbs they work fine for a couple of weeks,then start giving trouble again, got new timers,thought they were bad, still the same, doing my head in.

Cvh

Supermod
Just buy a new one. Don't mess with it when you don't know what you are doing.

DrDee

their only a couple of years old, when they get new bulbs they work fine for a couple of weeks,then start giving trouble again, got new timers,thought they were bad, still the same, doing my head in.

Al,
It seems odd to me that 4 ballasts have all gone bad at the same time. Check all the settings. I would avoid using dimming mode. Double check with the bulb manufacturer that their bulbs are OK with digital ballasts.

I just bought two bulbs at an auction that the manufacturer says to only run on magnetic ballasts.

Did you have any bad lightening storms? Maybe there was a serious power surge that affected them. Surge protector is not a bad idea.

Make sure that the timers you're using are good quality and rated properly and that all outlets are properly sized and in good condition and on properly rated breakers..

Other then that...just replace them. Sucks I know.
JD

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Are these the only electrical appliances you have difficulty with, at the same location? Could be power grid related...

al70

Veteran
my first two ballasts where cheap [blackcats], they worked fine for three grows, then started giving trouble so i bought two 2nd hand maxibright's on the bay and they worked fine for a couple of grows, i'm going to invest in some quality, i'm wasting money on cheap shit, cheers for the replies, goodluck.

Tony Aroma

Let's Go - Two Smokes!
Veteran
The danger in taking it apart yourself is a charge in the capacitor shocking you.

With care, it's rather simple to take apart a mag ballast. This tutorial is a bit technical, but if you look up each word you don't understand you'll be able to figure it out. You essentially want to take the ballast apart, test to find which part is not working, and get the numbers off the broken part.

Once you know what you're replacing, you can find the capacitor or ignitor you need at nearly any electrical or lighting supply online.

I took everything apart, all the connectors, and plugged everything back in, I cleaned out the socket with alcohol, and I pulled out the little metal piece in the bottom of the socket that makes contact with the bulb. When I put it all back together, it worked! And it continues to work, for several days now, with the MH bulb (that wouldn't light at all).

I'm wondering, since a capacitor is used to fire up the bulb, doesn't that mean it needs to charge? When I first had the trouble, that ballast hadn't been used in about 2 months. Does it need to be plugged in for a while to build up a charge before it's used the first time?

Douglas.Curtis

Nah, the capacitor should charge in a split second. I'd hazard a guess you had a loose connection or something, possibly the metal contact you bent into place. :)

Congrats!!

Latest posts

Latest posts