What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lollipopping

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Not a dumb thread at all, so much passion and differing opinions on the subject. Funny comparison to cotton as hops would be better example IMO
Wasn't gonna post but since it got legs, perhaps we could have a contest ?

View attachment 18804876
Damn weeds keep popping up unbidden

1674604435278.jpeg

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I believe lollipopping and pruning branches are 2 differing activities, especially considering the opening subject of this thread.

Rico Swazi

Instead of open forum , sending you a DM was a bit lame of that guy. Does he even post anymore?
Knowing of your talents and intellect when it comes to horticultural practices, I considered the defoliate suggestion dumb enough and an affront to your growing capacity that I could (and should as your friend) add some dumb posts of my own such as the upside down plant, lollipop from seed, and the last one a rooted clone the size of a lollipop (edited to add root pic ) having fun with the silliness of it all.
And the dumbing ain't over in this dumb thread if I may say so myself
Nice plants! If that is your entry in the 'contest' they could use some pruning.
Mine looked like that, a bit too weedy..

too weedy.JPG

rip and tear the branches off, plantscape that bitch 'cause they like being nekkid !

break them good.JPG

makes so much sense, doesn't it?

get that air flow.JPG

Big or small, no leaf is safe
their clones too!.JPG

Rico Schwazzing your service and having hella lotsa fun :biggrin:
Great thread! lol

Bio boy

So your saying I’m ok to prune the sucker branches ? But not the main branches ?

I have a giant bush plant I am going to scrog like fat beast but has that many sucker arms underneath they won’t be used it needed just making giant leaf bundles of pubes at the base

stripping them seems beneficial and I removed a few arms that was in the way growing wrong direction

I want to make sure I am doing it right lol cause I mostly lollipop the base off a bit to get taller stems away from the grow bed and stop bugs under the canopy near soil

I train my upper arms like a manifold style let it bush up topping the arms and remove all suckers growing underneath the canopy

worried that it effects it ? Lol seems worse leaving it all

like this is what I do also has bottom 6arms removed
AFA2E641-3A32-479B-B53E-5C8F24B58587.jpeg
then scrog to
D70A28EF-BE9E-4A66-A0F9-F3F11D160B41.jpeg
I remove any suckers and growth under at wk 2 flower but leave any leaves I can

Rico Swazi

wanted to add that unlike gravity, no mystery why the mention of lollipop and/or defoliation gets so many responses as everyone has an opinion on it with overlapping definitions.

accompanied by 'Here's how I do it' info and pics

No denying some show admirable results.
Sad that failures are seldom shown or discussed which puts a thumb on the lollipooping scale IMO

When I look at how adaptable cannabis can be when hacked, whacked ,stressed and trained in so many ways
.....can't help but ooh and ah it's such a beautiful plant no matter how it's sliced and diced.

Bio boy

wanted to add that unlike gravity, no mystery why the mention of lollipop and/or defoliation gets so many responses as everyone has an opinion on it with overlapping definitions.

accompanied by 'Here's how I do it' info and pics

No denying some show admirable results.
Sad that failures are seldom shown or discussed which puts a thumb on the lollipooping scale IMO

When I look at how adaptable cannabis can be when hacked, whacked ,stressed and trained in so many ways
.....can't help but ooh and ah it's such a beautiful plant no matter how it's sliced and diced.
That plant looks like it had an under tuck and the little suckers removed lol
il get a pic of mine tomorow see what ya think ya can’t even get through it and I’m in veg it’s like full whack flower thick pfft I feel I gotta trim it or I’ll loose it to mould

peeps tellin me foilar causes mould so why wouldn’t the bits lol

ps the lollipop I guess ya takin the piss lol abd I fell for it haha

40degsouth

Hey Rico. Love the new packaging and can’t wait for the marketing campaign. I can see these wrappers strewn across teenagers bedrooms across the globe but do you think you should dry it out first 🤓

To my mind training and maintenance is different to lollipoping and I think we’ve had examples through the thread but here’s a few of my thoughts for outdoor plants.
The indoor photo you posted is what l would call training. With this technique your overall goal is to maximise canopy in order to increase yield. You’ve also done the maintenance on the underside of the plant in order to increase air flow, in an attempt to minimise pest and disease impact.
The photo l posted was of two plants that I would describe as lolly poped. These plants were from a winter selection that budded up and are now reveging. This gives me the opportunity to check for disease resistance, terps, bud structure and herms as well as a cheeky little summer seed run. I can also assess the reveg which in turn gives me the ability to do another seed run, on the same plant, at the end of the season, all the while doing due diligence on the selections and the line.
Outdoors my training is done by pulling laterals through the cage in an attempt to bolster internal structure and increase support. l try to rub off internal, nodular growth before it gets to big and itself becomes a formed lateral and this lets me keep the fan leaf, for surface area, to absorb foliar feeds.
I do this little and often, during veg, for a few reasons; the first being that it’s far less traumatic to the plant and it doesn’t actually have to heel from the wounds l’ve inflicted on it. This can slow down growth, or in the worst case scenario, stop it completely. I’ve heard people describe this as “shock” which I guess it is, in a way but in my experience it’s one of the pit falls to watch out for with this technique.
Done correctly, l believe, it forces the plant into SAR, systemic acquired resistance and this is extremely beneficial to push growth and health, with minimal effort, as well as eliminating undesirable internal growth, in a way the plant recognises as normal predation or grazing. To my mind this is plant maintenance because again, it increases airflow in an attempt to reduce disease as well as focusing the plants energies to chosen bud sites.
Now, here’s where it gets tricky……depending on the strain, finishing times, weather, desired outcome etc etc….you may want to have a three stage harvest or keep rubbing off bud sites in order to harvest one and a half to two feet of external branching. This then becomes no larfing matter because it takes experience with the strain, harvest times and weather at the end of the season.
So is this technique lolly popping on a large outdoors plant, l don’t know, maybe it is.
Cheers 40.
P.S. Sorry for calling you dumb Rico…….the big boys told me to do it 🖖🏻

Bio boy

Hey Rico. Love the new packaging and can’t wait for the marketing campaign. I can see these wrappers strewn across teenagers bedrooms across the globe but do you think you should dry it out first 🤓

To my mind training and maintenance is different to lollipoping and I think we’ve had examples through the thread but here’s a few of my thoughts for outdoor plants.
The indoor photo you posted is what l would call training. With this technique your overall goal is to maximise canopy in order to increase yield. You’ve also done the maintenance on the underside of the plant in order to increase air flow, in an attempt to minimise pest and disease impact.
The photo l posted was of two plants that I would describe as lolly poped. These plants were from a winter selection that budded up and are now reveging. This gives me the opportunity to check for disease resistance, terps, bud structure and herms as well as a cheeky little summer seed run. I can also assess the reveg which in turn gives me the ability to do another seed run, on the same plant, at the end of the season, all the while doing due diligence on the selections and the line.
Outdoors my training is done by pulling laterals through the cage in an attempt to bolster internal structure and increase support. l try to rub off internal, nodular growth before it gets to big and itself becomes a formed lateral and this lets me keep the fan leaf, for surface area, to absorb foliar feeds.
I do this little and often, during veg, for a few reasons; the first being that it’s far less traumatic to the plant and it doesn’t actually have to heel from the wounds l’ve inflicted on it. This can slow down growth, or in the worst case scenario, stop it completely. I’ve heard people describe this as “shock” which I guess it is, in a way but in my experience it’s one of the pit falls to watch out for with this technique.
Done correctly, l believe, it forces the plant into SAR, systemic acquired resistance and this is extremely beneficial to push growth and health, with minimal effort, as well as eliminating undesirable internal growth, in a way the plant recognises as normal predation or grazing. To my mind this is plant maintenance because again, it increases airflow in an attempt to reduce disease as well as focusing the plants energies to chosen bud sites.
Now, here’s where it gets tricky……depending on the strain, finishing times, weather, desired outcome etc etc….you may want to have a three stage harvest or keep rubbing off bud sites in order to harvest one and a half to two feet of external branching. This then becomes no larfing matter because it takes experience with the strain, harvest times and weather at the end of the season.
So is this technique lolly popping on a large outdoors plant, l don’t know, maybe it is.
Cheers 40.
P.S. Sorry for calling you dumb Rico…….the big boys told me to do it 🖖🏻
What an informative post , thanks for that , amazing stuff clears my mind lol
I looked at all the under trim and thaught no freaking way am I meant to leave that, that post on defoliating yields was cool although I’d like to know wtf their methods were for the results lol
happy farmin

re veg a plant that’s flowerd I’ve seen that lol , I mean I do it will chili plants , always threw them till I learnt they revel upbn the year coming wow my chillie breeder has same plant since 2007

does reveg a plant not cause stress and slow growth and reduced yields ? Or do you only do that for a seed run ?
I got killer by plants and a new veg room
I am now wondering if it’s better to reveg instead of using new cuts ?
swapping for 8 reveg plants flowering 8wk while other set re veg , down sides ? Am off to research hope you got a diary cause ama lookin there first lol

40degsouth

Hey, thanks Bio boy, I’m really glad you got something out of it. I tried to upload some pictures but reception’s a bit scetchy today. Sounds like you’ve got the ideas though. 🤗
I’m pretty sure the indoor guys call the technique of veg to flower to veg to flower, monster cropping and from what l remember, there was some pretty good results.
Your right, outdoors reveging is stressful on the plant and yields decrease significantly but everything depends on your desired outcomes. For me though, the reveg is to check how tough a line is ( i.e. make sure it doesn’t turn hermaphrodite under the stress for example). plus, if l want, l can do two seed runs, on the same plant with two different males, in one season.
If plants were people I’d be Buffalo Bill🤣🤣

Last edited:

Rico Swazi

Stupid indeed!! total disregard of any supporting science

That was my first comment in this thread.
I for one would like to see scientific data on the matter
Quite sure the OP would also

Safe to say linking to grow sites a waste of time

Is there any science to it or not?

Rico Swazi

Defoliation didn't fare so well compared to control

there seems to be a negative effect on secondary metabolites with such heavy handedness

1675012922861.png

Rico Swazi

what would you consider 'usable bud biomass'
i believe the term used was inflorescence by which pruning provided the most biomass
that includes leaves and stems along with your 'buds'

It's what Microbeman said above being two different activities.
I believe lollipopping and pruning branches are 2 differing activities, especially considering the opening subject of this thread.

stripping the plant of leaves has always come up counterproductive to plant health and yield in all the studies I've seen to date. Problem is obvious , the limitations imposed by Schedule 1 full circle stupid

And Boy , am I glad negative rep isn't a thing anymore as I would have a boatload for this thread alone!

Last edited:

moose eater

Totally different from lollipopping, per se', but when I'm a week or two into bloom (strictly indoors), I typically go about 8"-12" below the canopy and remove -any- small sucker branches or early bud sites down low that would flower later, to keep energy going to primary colas and the more viable bud sites with greater light exposure.

This is in a super-cropping set-up with there typically being 6-12 primary colas per plant, and anywhere from 5 to 16 plants in a 4'x4' area, in pots ranging from 2000 to 2200 Classics (past efforts with up to 16 plants) to (more recently) five 7-gallon pots, with (currently) 315cmh in more broad foot-print Sun System hoods, augmented by LED conversion (250-watt equivalent), wet-rated outdoor flood bulbs on custom machined aluminum brackets in the 4 corners of each box at about the 4-1/2' height, with a steep downward angle, and 40-degree beam spread on the bulbs, running 3000k to 4000k spectrum on the flood lights in the corners, depending on the phase, veg versus bloom.

Any critical feed-back on that method? I've been doing it that way for decades, indoors, as stated, of course.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts