What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can an S1'ing a plant bring back its original vigor and morphology?

HvaSkjer

So, I've got this strain that I REALLY loved the first time I grew it from seed. I harvested it and left a few bottom nugs for it to reveg (which i posted on here)

The thing is, the plants morphology and yield has not been the same since the reveg. Originally, it had a long stretch with super frosty decent sized nugs. Now, the clones I've been flowering are squat, more leafy, and produce airy buds. All environmental factors are the SAME!

So, I'm curious if a virus or the reveg mutated its genome a little bit to some degree. Not sure if that's even possible?

Anyway, I want to s1 the plant to see if I can find the something similar to the original morphology again, is this a worthy endeavor? plus I have only 3 seeds left and don't want to pop them as the strain is discontinued

Would love to hear any thoughts or advice

Thanks!

tissue culture might bring back its original vigor,

worth a try s1'ing it, i'd run large numbers til u find what ur after if ur gonna go that route,

reversing one of its sisters or brothers onto it would prevent too much genetic deterioration but shouldn't be a problem if you dont self it back to itself too many times.

good luck i hope you find what your after.

HvaSkjer

I've peeked into tissue culture, and it seems a little too technical for me right now. I figured I'd just hit a clone with some colloidal silver spray and pollinate some other clones of the same, it would give me fems i could pheno hunt through

J-Icky

Well the only thing I can think think of is if the genes have mutated then selfing it won’t fix it as all offspring would haze that similar mutation going forward.

The best bet would be use the last 3 seeds to create more seeds and look in those to find new keepers. Or as was also suggested take one of the remaining and use that to cross to the mutated plant and sthat may help fix things.

Latest posts

Latest posts