What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's wrong with skunk?

teide

Veteran
Just wondering what some people consider less favorable about skunk genetics. I read sometimes that a good sativa hybrid has little or no skunk in it. Last example I read was about a pure sativa hybrid that only had South East Asian genes in it, and the European commercial seedbank described it as luckily not containing any skunk, making this more unique. As far as I know, the smelly pheno has been bred out of skunk, seeds of roadkill are hard to come by. Most available skunks don't reek, I would assume. So what is by some deemed as bad about skunk? Is it afghan genes? Boring high/difficult to grow/bland taste/too common?

Koondense

Veteran
I guess the "hate" is pointed towards the numbing and dull effect with fast tolerance buildup, which are easily passed on in skunk crosses, it's a very dominant line.
Never grown a skunk but friends told me it molds fast when grown in guerrilla in middle europe + has the typical smell which turns heads, so not really desirable for stealth.
Gotta check for myself one day, when I find the right skunk :)

Cheers

Stizo

Veteran
Nothing bad about skunk. You just need to do some more reading. It's a 3 way or 4 way cross of Thai, Colombian, Mexican and Afghan? someone chime in please.

The word "Skunk" has been used negatively by media, law enforcement and politicians to denote strong varieties of Cannabis. Afficionados will roll their eyes. There is a lot of misinformation. It's really not that important anyway.

'Roadkill' refers to a cultivar, most probably skunk or with skunk in, that is affectionately referred to like 'Haze', which people remember and is probably synonymous with some flavour of weed they used to smoke at some point.

If people describe colours and smell differently, my personal opinion is they should be used as a rough guide not like some holy testament to how things are. I would say even the oldest breeders, who let's face it have had their memory warped by the consumption of bud for years, incarceration, not being able to keep records for fear of incrimination, do not know where most of this shit came from. It sparks endless debate but at the end of the day, that is all it is, words.

Dirt Life

Veteran
Skunk #1 was used extensively in dutch breeding... crossed with everything. Some breeders were honest about it, some not, and later on in the years, other breeders using "dutched" lines would breed these lines and would drop the skunk moniker.. so, somebody who didnt know or research a line, say Durban Poison, would buy a DP line from a breeder and then get rightfully upset when they grew out a bunch of skunk leaning hybrids...

Basically, IMHO, a lot of old lines from the dutch days that claim to be pure, had @ one point, been crossed to skunk (and other BLD varieties), and for ppl wanting pure or land race type plants, this is/was a negative. And on a side note, I still find stank in skunk lines that are available today... dunno about RKS though. :)

T

TakenByTheSky

I like to grow strains that are a different than eachother. My only gripe with skunk is that it has been bred to just about everything.

So if your looking at a panel of 25 strains of all varieties and they've all been bred to skunk you could kind of assume there is going to be strong similarities in a lot of the plants from the seeds.

I'm developing the same kind of disinterest in OG and chem and cookies etc..once you breed the same strains to every thing you'll notice a lot of similarities across the board. I love of and chems but once you have 1 or 2 good ones in the collection you don't need 20 more.

Instead of mishmashing the same families of strains against eachother it's nice to see new and interesting true f1 hybrids or more obscure strains or inbred lines of great strains.

Haze has been used similarly but with haze the hybrids produced seem to throw a shit load of variation so it keeps the pheno hunt interesting.

I feel like skunk, og, chem and cookies breed true for certain qualities which gives hybrids very predictable qualities. With the chems and it's you can bank on stinky funk and taste almost 100%

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
luckily, because for example to find pure mexican spears genetics, is almost impossible, everything in Mexico contains skunk or ghani genetics. it takes down flowering time and makes it chunkier, but final product is loosing some unique and peculiar psychoactive properties.. thats why luckily imo. otherwise skunk is nice hybrid and great breeding tool. but! we desperately need those old pure narrow leaf mexican spears, jesus christ! its big loss!!!

teide

Veteran
Thanks for great answers. I've read the complaints about skunk being bred into almost any Dutch hybrid and also bred into longer flowering landrace sativas to bring down flowering. I was unsure about the extra effects of this, besides increased yield and shorter flowering. So the skunk is dominant in crosses, and traits always passed on in the hybrids. Altering the pure psychoactivity and lowering ceiling. Bringing with it a skunky odour even though the worst skunky aroma has been bred out. A shame that pure Mexican sativas are hard to come by, even in Mexico. A shame that skunk tampers so much with sativas when crossed.
The only thing separating skunk from haze seems to me to be the afghan genes. I always thought skunk was mostly sativa. Haze with a tiny, little Afghan twist. Dirt_life also calls skunk a broad leaf variety? The Afghan must be very dominant. Do you know if the Mexican or Colombian sativas in skunk were broad leaf, or does that come from the afghan indica?

clearheaded

like others said in SOO many cultivars to add speed yield structure takes away variety similarly to OG once everything is just OG gets to be a bit much.

media in euro calls potent weed "skunk", and its a way to get boomers who smoked weed who are CEOs now to think weed is a different drug then what they smoked in the 60s 70s.

as for RKS. skunk got sweeter as it got more sativa may be a place to start.... find old skunky rubbery ghani. find a skunky skunk. hit skunk to ghani or to a skunky columbian and then to ghani.

the more pungent of terps, to me, often seem to be harsher. pine myrcene rich OGs arent smooth enjoyable smokes. nice effects for some sure. and who hates strong smelling herb, no one, but often isnt nicest to smoke. I dont have tested herb so hard to say that perhaps RKS wasnt smoothest either?? also super peppery NLD can have a bit more throat bite aswell.

Ready4

Veteran
lol Mexican bud has had skunk/indica mixed in for a least 20-25 years = very old news.
Growers in produce nations are not purists = quicker finish with larger yield = sound familiar ?lol
RKS is an antique memory that is given way too much credit. I grew RKS before the internet was part of our lives. It was from the California skunk breeding. I dumped it after a huge summer's efforts turned to grey mold outdoors. Grey mold huge problem with it. Couchlock & not that great of a buzz imo. Very potent compared to the crappy bud of its day.

rolandomota

Veteran
This is another myth I smoke Mex weed all the time and it's not all indica and skunk this is a pretty narrow view of Mexico herb so all the Mex weed experts how much you smoking a month of it how much Mex bagseed you growing?

Ready4

Veteran
This is another myth I smoke Mex weed all the time and it's not all indica and skunk this is a pretty narrow view of Mexico herb so all the Mex weed experts how much you smoking a month of it how much Mex bagseed you growing?
LOL ! Nobody said "all indica and skunk" Used to get quantities of very good - great Mexican before there were MJ websites & for many years after. Planted many bagseeds & made crosses. Was very surprised more than 15-20 years ago to plant a bunch of Mex seeds

and see a bunch of wide leaves plants that finished in early October.
Good smoke. Would toss out a few seeds of Mex for quite a few years = some did no finish in time, some did.
you or anyone else can try growing your Mex seeds = you will see the indica in them.

I did it many times. :tiphat:

RoyalFlush

DEA Agent
lol Mexican bud has had skunk/indica mixed in for a least 20-25 years = very old news.
Growers in produce nations are not purists = quicker finish with larger yield = sound familiar ?lol
RKS is an antique memory that is given way too much credit. I grew RKS before the internet was part of our lives. It was from the California skunk breeding. I dumped it after a huge summer's efforts turned to grey mold outdoors. Grey mold huge problem with it. Couchlock & not that great of a buzz imo. Very potent compared to the crappy bud of its day.

Finally someone said it

Asiatica

Nothing wrong with Skunk really.
If someone passed me a joint I wouldnt decline.
But for my personal breeding preference, I dont like the "ceiling" component of the high that skunk has.
You can smoke and smoke and smoke and at a certain point you wont get any higher.
In my experience many Skunk plants will give you a headache after smoking too much.
Most iterations of Skunk have been inbred over many generations.
Therefore the hybrids you make will initially be Skunk dominant.
You will have to put in quite a bit or work to remove that ceiling trait.
And Europeans worked that strain to death its been done every which way you can imagine.
Not much room left for innovation.

farmerlion

Microbial Repositories
Premium user
Mentor
Veteran
420club
I'm surprised that one of the most coveted strains of all times is getting so much negative feedback. Is it really the Original RKS that blows or all the people claiming to have had the real deal and didn't !
There is absolutely nothing special about the cannabis scene today. Beyond legalization is still new and exciting. The cookies, sorbets and myriad of other hyped up garbage are exactly that, garbage.
Through market greed everything is poorly grown in excessive environments chemically driven. Forced flowering early harvests, mechanically trimmed uncured garbage.

Skunk was never claimed as the HOLY GRAIL! It's a brutal Bitch Slap to the senses. Now that there is legal growing in many parts of the country. Many, many people are trying to recreate the original RKS.

There's good news on the horizon. There's still two f1 hybrids of the real Road Kill Skunk. A resurrection breeding program is starting this season. When this breeding program concludes. There will be a true representation of the Original RKS from 40 years ago available once more.

My guess is it will hands down be the most sought after strain on the market. Once more all the liars will come out of the woodwork claiming to have it again. But then maybe it will stay in the hands of a few people who actually seek out quality.
Peace farmerlion

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
20 years ago my favorite was super skunk, lemon rubbery skunk with sweet musky hashy aftertaste.. with nice up high initially.. but folks here normally grew that skunk1 from sensi seeds, it reeked by some old cheese, livers and old homeless guy socks.. makes you stony and lazy to the bone, totally devastes you from first toke. I remember that as teenager we smoked it at some house party.. and it was end of that party for us. we just sat there and stupidly staring, while people were dancing like crazy around us LOL then one guy saw us, came and asked for some bud, nobody of us reacted too much LOL just look at him and that was all, finally one of my friend said to him it is not weed he wants to smoke LOL

J.B.Kushfeller

You are guys comparing afghani pre soviet chem like with that dank smell what most people think it is skunk these chem skunk like smelles come from afghani or afg x skunk crosses like RKS is skunk1 x afghan.

Original skunk is called skunk cuz it has that cat piss or chamomile flowers undertone which is very like cat piss or urine.

That musky chemy strong smell is afghan thing.

Original skunk was sativa tropical and sweet with catpiss undertone.
afghani x skunk will give you chem,OG,Sd like smells but original skunk is totaly different beast.
Phenos is original skunk 1 goes from fruty,rubbery anised,to lemony skunks.
In Sk1 you will not find RKS and chem,og,sd....like smells more in big bud,shiva sk and super sk.

weedobix

ICMag Donor
Veteran
didnt everyone around the dutch scene used to complain that it was affie used in every hybrid to bring down the flowering time and up the yield. ie like skunk to super skunk.

most the related skunk stuff ive grown in recent memory, like psychosis, & blues tastes really nice but doesnt have the required potency that most want.