What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

COCO Pure blend pro deficiency

LostTribe

Premium user
I am getting light green growth and purple stems so I am wondering how to proceed?

Feeding 1.0-1.3 ec ph 5.7-6.2ph

Feeding
5ml/g calmag+
3ml/g silica blast
5ml/g LK
10ml/g PBP Grow

Plants are cuttings that have been transplanted to pure canna coco now at 10 days under LED. Feeding once daily until runoff.

I read a post that recommenced staying above 6.0 ph to avoid Ca and P issues?

I am just starting my grow back up and am using up the last of the same nutrient line. I have had what looks like deficiencies but I think its lock out similar to yourself.

My experience is limited so take this with a grain of salt. Depending on the age of the plant, especially a sativa leaning strain, I would lower your EC and run a few waterings at a lower EC and if there is a good root system, multi feed per day.

Also, If you are using hard water I think some of my issues I'm running into is that the water supply already has Cal and MG but most water supplies are much higher in calcium. I believe adding Calmag to an already high Calcium deposit in your water is actually causing cal and/or Mag lockout.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
What I have learned with coco is that you will show deficiencies very quickly if you don't water to saturation often, and keep everything almost wet. I was getting light green growth and all sorts of defs, but it was because I was being lazy and had a lot going on. i still blamed it on defs but then when I set regular watering schedules they are lush and dark green around 1.2 EC. try keeping them wetter in the coco for a few days and see what happens.

your ph is fine. i let mine drift from 5.8-6.4 and then adjust back down daily. i collect my runoff and add it back to the res so my ph will shoot up to 6.4 and then I will bring it back

G

I am getting light green growth and purple stems so I am wondering how to proceed?

Feeding 1.0-1.3 ec ph 5.7-6.2ph

Feeding
5ml/g calmag+
3ml/g silica blast
5ml/g LK
10ml/g PBP Grow

Plants are cuttings that have been transplanted to pure canna coco now at 10 days under LED. Feeding once daily until runoff.

I read a post that recommenced staying above 6.0 ph to avoid Ca and P issues?
What happened LT

LostTribe

Premium user
What happened LT

I increased my feed to by 30% and they are all doing great.

I recently opened new gallons of both PBP grow and bloom and I am willing to wager they have once again watered then down. That happened a few years ago when they changed the nutrient profile as well.

I should have known something was off as they weren't nearly as acidic as they used to be which right away is an indicator.

Since they were purchased a lot has changed and if they don't stop changing I may. Cheap bastards!

I am still at the same 5ml/gal cal mag plus, but have about 10ml left until a new bottle. I am going to open the new one before I finish this up to visually and scientifically compare both. I will report back if they have also changed the calmag+ with evidence.

Cheers!
LT

Mudraya

Good to know about new vs old I’m curious.

I always noticed the purp stem thing went away in flower. Perhaps due to increased watering as stated above or perhaps just due to the different formulation in the flower formula...that’s what I always attributed it to.

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I used to have those problems with PBP too until I said screw it and started measuring everything I put in with a EC/ppm meter. It seems like a hassle but really it made everything a lot easier.... especially diagnosing problems. :tiphat:

LostTribe

Premium user
I used to have those problems with PBP too until I said screw it and started measuring everything I put in with a EC/ppm meter. It seems like a hassle but really it made everything a lot easier.... especially diagnosing problems. :tiphat:

I always use a meter.

However, my old Milwaukee that severed me well for 20 years ate shit so I got a blue lab. The Milwaukee was on the 500 scale, which only added to the issues, as we were also discussing 500 vs 700 and Botanicare is now recommending the 700 scale.

Meters aside, I am physically adding 30% more PBP Grow than I was with the old bottle. I havent checked the Bloom but noticed I have not been using anywhere near the same about of Ph up so I believe it has also been watered down. If both are diluted it cant be an issue with a bad batch either.

Remember the bottle changes and NPK are different after they were bought out. Thanks a lot Miracle Gro you HOES! More corporate BS.

Best
LT

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Saddened by the news.

I used to believe in spending more and I was in love with the line.

I kept the liquid karma and hydroplex pk booster years after ditching the main nutes.

That is really bad news. I was just thinking about picking up the hydroplex for a run.

I guess this is a sign...

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
I noticed that too with PBP Bloom for soil. The smell was less intense and it wasn't as thick. Before the buyout that was the best flowering fertilizer out there for soil.

-Funk

J-Icky

Sorry for necroing this thread but was wondering if more people have had issues lately.
If it is weaker what have people found to be better doses for feeding. Is 15/5 PBP/calmag still a good dose?

Sorry but I just switched over to PBP bloom soil edition along with finally getting a res and homemade drip rings setup after years of hand watering. Just want to get a good starting spot and adjust as needed for my plants needs

Mudraya

Sorry for necroing this thread but was wondering if more people have had issues lately.
If it is weaker what have people found to be better doses for feeding. Is 15/5 PBP/calmag still a good dose?

Sorry but I just switched over to PBP bloom soil edition along with finally getting a res and homemade drip rings setup after years of hand watering. Just want to get a good starting spot and adjust as needed for my plants needs

…am about to find out if the old 5-15 is still good, we’ll see! as far as their calmag, yes it’s the standard dose. as far as PBP i’m just going based on PPMs and the 10 ml/gal veg from back in the day is still the same. i’m guessing if anything there’s less of the teas and the chems should be the same? am going to add their tea at a low dose to amend it. would be great if someone here was ‘in the know’.

i had thought it may be less thick but i ALWAYS added LK with it and could just be remembering that…so that confuses things…

Vanilla Phoenix

Super Lurker
ICMag Donor
I read on botanicare’s site, they recommend using the pure blend teas with their Kind line of nutes. And recommend using LK with their Pure Blend Pro line.

I’ve been using PBP for years and have always added around 0.5EC (about 5ml/g) CalMag and then add PBP until the EC is 1.3EC-2.0EC, depending on the stage the plants are in and how they respond to the strength. One thing I can say is as long as I’ve been using PBP, I’ve never seen anything like over feeding symptoms on the plants. Not saying you should go crazy, but it’s some pretty forgiving stuff.

So I’d suggest keeping the CalMag at the same level and just start out low on the PBP. But ramp the strength up pretty quick.

In veg I usually feed at 1.5EC. I even start out newly planted rooted cuts at that strength with no ill effects. If I’m growing a particular strain that tends to be sensitive to nutes early on, I’ll drop the strength to 1.3EC for the first few watering and then go to the 1.5EC.

In bloom I’ve been feeding 2.0EC and some strains could still eat more. I have in the past fed bloom just 1.3EC thru the whole bloom period and everything turned out good. Had a little premature yellowing but nothing that was considered a failure. Very forgiving stuff. 👍

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
My last grow was a disaster. Thought too much light, and wound up PH of runoff was 4.5 and PPM was triple what I was feeding. Complete nutrient lockout. Check runoff at least once a week. Best troubleshooting is MyNameStitch's sticky in infirmary. Covers everything.

Mudraya

I read on botanicare’s site, they recommend using the pure blend teas with their Kind line of nutes. And recommend using LK with their Pure Blend Pro line.

I’ve been using PBP for years and have always added around 0.5EC (about 5ml/g) CalMag and then add PBP until the EC is 1.3EC-2.0EC, depending on the stage the plants are in and how they respond to the strength. One thing I can say is as long as I’ve been using PBP, I’ve never seen anything like over feeding symptoms on the plants. Not saying you should go crazy, but it’s some pretty forgiving stuff.

So I’d suggest keeping the CalMag at the same level and just start out low on the PBP. But ramp the strength up pretty quick.

In veg I usually feed at 1.5EC. I even start out newly planted rooted cuts at that strength with no ill effects. If I’m growing a particular strain that tends to be sensitive to nutes early on, I’ll drop the strength to 1.3EC for the first few watering and then go to the 1.5EC.

In bloom I’ve been feeding 2.0EC and some strains could still eat more. I have in the past fed bloom just 1.3EC thru the whole bloom period and everything turned out good. Had a little premature yellowing but nothing that was considered a failure. Very forgiving stuff. 👍

back in the day i regularly did 2.4-2.8 ec, on recirculating coco no less. obviously, they were a little spotty and crispy at the end, but the flowers were great somehow. forgiving indeed! but yes, it is possible to fry them a little with this stuff, if you try really hard like i did lol…..this will be my first time using PBP since starting a less is more approach several years ago. makes sense that they would recommend LK for it since it has components that are missing vs PBT which doesn’t, just different ratios it seems.

Mudraya

My last grow was a disaster. Thought too much light, and wound up PH of runoff was 4.5 and PPM was triple what I was feeding. Complete nutrient lockout. Check runoff at least once a week. Best troubleshooting is MyNameStitch's sticky in infirmary. Covers everything.
bummer! i’ve definitely been there as you might guess from my post above.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Im currently into Cana for Coco with a dash of cal-mag … Comes the same two-part formula for veg and bloom & so easy …also Boost … Its they’re number one selling product (and for a good reason) …Back in the day I strictly used pure blend pro 1 tablespoon per gallon it was good stuff :wtf:

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
bummer! i’ve definitely been there as you might guess from my post above.

One other problem I had once that ruined entire grow, was the batteries getting weaker but still working in yellow PH pen. I calibrated everytime I used it with 7.0 reference solution. That was big mistake. Needs to be calibrated with 7.0 and 4.1. That way you have peace of mind knowing the readings are right. As batteries got weaker, readings got further from truth.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Ive recently switched back to pure blend myself after using athena fot the past 5 or 6 rotations. Before the athena switch i ran pure blend pro for almost 10 years so i like to think ive got the program down. I use soil bloom in the coco and calmag feeding a constant 3.0 ec all the way feom rooted clone to a week before flush.

LostTribe

Premium user
Ive recently switched back to pure blend myself after using athena fot the past 5 or 6 rotations. Before the athena switch i ran pure blend pro for almost 10 years so i like to think ive got the program down. I use soil bloom in the coco and calmag feeding a constant 3.0 ec all the way feom rooted clone to a week before flush.
How much calmag are you using in this 3.0ec? Still using this forumula? I am about out of the canna and have a bottle of the soil bloom.