What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

NPK of Cannabis ash?

Cvh

Supermod
Hi guys,

As the title says, anyone any idea what the NPK is of Cannabis ash?

Is it also high K and very alkaline as woodash?

Cheers.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
:lurk:
I've always been interested in the difference between my cannabis ash and ash from flowers I don't like the quality of. ;)

Cvh

Supermod
I have read online or in a book that the only things remaining in ashes (from wood) are K, calcium, magnesium, P and some micro's IIRC. All the rest gets combusted.

It's for this reason that woodashes are a very good source of K.

Anybody any other input? Preferable about Cannabis ash.

i always ash my joints right into my waters or soils. more POT ash couldnt hurt

THIS IS FIVE STARS

Have always separate jar you can dump the rest from joint or Bong and feed plants with.

Also to all Vapers one thing
Make edibles of that vaped green that has turn to brown after you Vape it.
This works
Get High two times from one LOL

true , try and see

Sorry for total offtopic

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I have read online or in a book that the only things remaining in ashes (from wood) are K, calcium, magnesium, P and some micro's IIRC. All the rest gets combusted.

It's for this reason that woodashes are a very good source of K.

Anybody any other input? Preferable about Cannabis ash.
You could get it tested I suppose. I have to do a soil test in a month or two for my outdoor, if somebody explains a good way to make ash out of my old plants, I can get the ash tested then.

Lyfespan

THIS IS FIVE STARS

Have always separate jar you can dump the rest from joint or Bong and feed plants with.

Also to all Vapers one thing
Make edibles of that vaped green that has turn to brown after you Vape it.
This works
Get High two times from one LOL

true , try and see

Sorry for total offtopic

i mostly dab now so dumping that reclaim water is hazardous lol:biggrin:

Cvh

Supermod
if somebody explains a good way to make ash out of my old plants, I can get the ash tested then.

Dry it and a match. Best outdoors.
Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. :biggrin:

I'm just kidding mate, it would be awesome to see those testresults.

I'm actually puting back some of the joints ashes into the compost pile, and was wondering as of late about others doing the same, so, it seems my message got across :-D

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Dry it and a match. Best outdoors.
Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy. :biggrin:

I'm just kidding mate, it would be awesome to see those testresults.
I don't have a clue with this stuff. Is it really as easy as just burning the dry plant matter? Do I need to do it in a low oxygen environment, like making bio char?

Cvh

Supermod
Yes, it's that easy. The thread is literally about ash made from Cannabis (flowers, stems, leaves).
Ash as in the woodash amendments you can get in gardencenters or is in your ashtray.

It might on the other hand also be interesting to see how biochar and oxygen deprived burned material testresults correlates to regular ash made from Cannabis.

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Alright. Does the ash change any over time? Like if I harvest in 2 or 3 weeks then let it dry a week then burn it down to ash, can I just keep that ash in a bucket till it's time to get it tested? Or should I wait till closer to testing to burn it?

unnamedmike

In the combustion any organic compound is burned out, so no N in the final NPK. most wood ashes have 0-1-3, i dont know cannabis.
In biochar I think no nutrient is available directly from the biochar, biochar is bioaccumulator and soil improver, but has no nutritional value by itself. Why dont do some worm compost and supercharge biochar in the compost? my worms eat pot butts, cannabis ash, cannabis leaf branches and roots from harvest, kitchen vegetal crap, paper, etc

Rico Swazi

Yes, it's that easy. The thread is literally about ash made from Cannabis (flowers, stems, leaves).
Ash as in the woodash amendments you can get in gardencenters or is in your ashtray.

It might on the other hand also be interesting to see how biochar and oxygen deprived burned material testresults correlates to regular ash made from Cannabis.

great question Cvh

would be very interesting to see what goes up in smoke and if any benefit to using one over the other

Rico Swazi

off topic but along the lines of trace elements...

A hydro chem grower once told me there was no way to grow organically due to chem trails skewing the notion of it being cleaner and purer. Said he grows indoors to keep that shit from raining down on his crop

always something eh?

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I will look in my notes when I get home.
I have npk amounts from hemp ash.

Probably not ash of flowers, but it's ash of cannabis.

Been saving my weed ashes for over two years. Either gonna mix with compost, or use to make lye soap. Cannabis lye soap. Made from cannabis seed oil, and cannabis lye.

CannaRed

Cannabinerd
I haven't found the note I was thinking of, but did find this:

The ashes of the hemp plant contain: KOH (7.48%), NaCO3 (0.72%), CaO (42.05%), MgO (4.88%), Al2O3 (0.37%), SiO2 (6.75%), H3PO4 (3.22%), H2SO4 (1.10%),Cl (1.53%), CO2 (31.90%).The ashes of the seeds contain: KOH (20.81%), NaCO3 (0.64%), CaO (25.57%), MgO (0.96%), FeO2 (0.74%), H3PO4 (35.52%), CaSO4 (0.18%), NaCl (0.09%), H2SiO3 (13.48%), C (6.19%).

Latest posts

Latest posts