What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CLONES!!! 7-14 Days! 99% Success Rate!

ReikoX

Knight of the BlackSvn
Nice tutorial. This works even on a MUCH smaller scale. I use the shot glass version of the red solo cup, hole 1/3 way up, and filled with perlite. My cuts are only 2" tall and I use a small seed propagating tray and dome. It works great!
picture.php

Use a similar method, but coco coir instead of perlite. Also, no reservoir or dome. Simply place in a shallow cooler under CFL. Coco should be wet, and foliar spray is done daily to help keep up humidity levels while rooting.

Also, i clone in clear plastic cups, placed inside a colored cup to block light. Lift out clear plastic cup to check for roots. Good to transplant in a couple weeks.

DocTim420

The Doctor is OUT and has moved on...
For jumbo clones (as in beer cup size), try using a 3 or 5 gallon bucket (with a splash of water in the bottom) to hold the cups and then use those elastic "shower caps" (dollar store) to cover the bucket top; clear shower caps work best, imo. I place my buckets on the floor and use the indirect light from my veg lights for the light source.

I don't create "jumbo clones" anymore since they do take a little longer to root up--whereas, in my garden (I use moistened Promix HP in those 2" net cups), cuttings around 5-6" or so root up in about 10-14 days after being snipped (and that includes a 2 day water soak after "snip" and before inserted in the rooting medium). The jumbo clones take about 20 days or so and require additional hydration...not so with cuttings in 2" net cups (less work for me).

T_B_M

Very good write up on the actual cutting up of the donor branch for cloning. That is the most overlooked part of the process and seems to never have details. I use your exact method except I run DWC so I just soak rockwool cubes to place the clones in. I just some them in some weak nutrient solution at 5.5pH, then water when they are feeling dry on the outside. This plus the humidity dome gives me roots coming out of the cubes in ~12 days, so I assume the clone itself shoots roots a few days prior.

I would recommend anyone using a hydro method for growing to use the cubes for cloning so they can be easily planted into a net pot with clay pellets. The cube gives some structure to help hold the plant upright as well when it gets bigger.

I've even cloned donor plants that were root bound with hardened red stems, they just take longer. No cloning gel needed, that stuff is useless. I seem to do better without it. But I also found hydro to be 10x easier than soil growing, so maybe its me :p Either way, saves money and time.

Use a similar method, but coco coir instead of perlite. Also, no reservoir or dome. Simply place in a shallow cooler under CFL. Coco should be wet, and foliar spray is done daily to help keep up humidity levels while rooting.

Also, i clone in clear plastic cups, placed inside a colored cup to block light. Lift out clear plastic cup to check for roots. Good to transplant in a couple weeks.

YAZ! This is the post/comment I've been looking for. Trying the same thing and wanted some validation. My logic....the cuts seem to love love love rockwool but I hate hate hate the stuff. Also I'm sick of using electricity and done using those peatplugs. Rooting clones should not cost us anything but somehow it's a nice kept secret money maker. Good luck with the coir tec!

9DRAGONS

what can go wrong?
very nice, i like to give space to my cuttings i defo get a higher rate of success. put 66 cuts in that propagator, and and its a little more tricky,

i know like 33 cutting to that size propagator, but you do it like, 10 so even better

cool man happy growing brother

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I tried this after trying regular soil which did not work at all. They are going good now and expect to see some roots any day now. Just been a few days.

Tony21

What a cool way, giving this a whirl with coco to compare with 25 cm cuttings standing in a bubbler container.

What a cool way, giving this a whirl with coco to compare with 25 cm cuttings standing in a bubbler container.

Let us know how this compares... I just can't get over the ease of bubble cloning. No humidity cover and such minimal materials needed. just chop 'em and stick 'em in a hole and bubble away. 7 days later roots everywhere... At least that's been my experience.

mexweed

Veteran
planning to try this when my tangerine jillybeans are vegged enough to start snipping, will do the 48hr water soak, I have a sample bottle of life cloning solution that I'll use

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
This is the way I've been cloning for over 30 years, with just slight differences...

I use smaller cups..about 6 oz. size
I use the almost clear ones so I can see the roots when they get more than 1 inch long...

I drill four, 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of the cups and place the cups in cheapo plastic cupcake trays...

These trays go in a clear plastic storage bin that is large enough to hold 2 trays of 9 cups...

Also, the only other thing i do different is use 1 part vermiculite to 3 parts perlite..

It takes about 2 weeks until you see roots, but I get almost a 100% success rate...

Oh, don't put the humidity bin under bright light.. on the other side of the room is fine..

Good tutorial. I did it with 22 cuttings 1 week ago. Smaller cups. No dome and outdoors, temps peak in the low 90 degrees, shade no direct sunlight. I had Clonex on hand and used 1 Tbs. per cup of RO water. All are still alive. Kind of like a Mini Hempy Bucket. Keeping them under a lamp at night as the donors were just starting to flower.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I took the clones out of the perlite and put into soil tonight. I got 6 of 7 to put out roots. I went close to 20 or so days and could of pulled them sooner. One had quite a root ball. The others had roots several inches long. I had two that were well into flower when I cloned them so wanted to let them all go for a long time.

I used 6 oz. cups and put them under a dome. The one that did not grow roots was very small and might have effected the outcome. The bigger the clone the better for me.