What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The growing large plants, outdoors, thread...

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

humboldtlocal

Yeah, your prices are close to double what we pay here in Nor Cal.

3rd I

Yep i'm not in cali guys...far far away from there...the extra cost you see is shipping fellas...i get 15% off those prices though...i'd be in cali if i drove 48 hrs straight to SF...about 6 days if i took my time...done it :D

Fisher...well aware of Peaceful Valley bud...been gazing thr/ their catalogs since the mid 90s

I wish i could post the excel files so everyone could input their own values but i can't...

T

theJointedOne

just thought i would drop in and let you all know my intentions to cross tom's deep chunk with bog's bogglegum next summer...yeaaaaahhhhh i cant wait

great work all around

we do it like that too, except we use 7' by 7' by 24'' inch high boxes, with about 18'' full of organic goodness. gotta love growin the real trees of norcal!! peace

love your work tom

O

ocean99

Hey tom, does this mix apply to sativa dom varieties? Is this the same mix you use for your haze?

Thanks tom!

J

Jenn

BUMP

Tom you still out there? I'd still like to talk to you about pest control, and your irrigation when you get a minute.

Thanks - Jenn

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Jenn,

Over to plant protection. First as you point out the 6' fencing around the garden. I've battled deer since I started growing pretty much, the garden is not complete until it's fenced in my neighborhood. If I gave them a taste of it in the spring, they'd hop right over that fence for it later. It's most effective to keep them out from the start. That fence doesn't keep out rabbits or rats etc, and they can ruin things in a hurry too. I like to also put a small one foot high one foot diameter 1/2" chicken wire fencing around the stalk of each plant too. It keeps rabbits and such from girdling the main stalk at least.

My favorite thing to spray for outdoor crops is "brix mix" by peaceful valley farm supply (fisher15's link - groworganic.com) at 1/2 recommended dose every two weeks. I add 1 tbs per gallon of molasses to this (attracts beneficials), and 1/2 tsp per gal of ascorbic acid (vit C). I adjust this spray to 5.8 pH +/-, and bring it to 125-150 ORP via h2o2. Every two weeks, that's my foliar spray, until about midway through what we call the August stretch (stop before any buds stack). Then, as if my soil mix didn't contain enough calcium hehe, I spray once a month a product called calcium25, and stop using this at the same time as the brix mix. This approach seems to have all but stopped attack from fungus, keeps bugs down, and rarely have I had to resort to harsher measures. I will though, if need be, it's a war sometimes and that's the way it is. If pressure from insects etc, threaten to approach what some might call economically-damaging levels, I refer to the most excellent book "Hemp Diseases and Pests" (McPartland, Clarke, & Watson) to help formulate an appropriate course of action based around the particular problem at hand.

Here is the Cadillac of sprayers (need the agitation kit too). This thing on the back of a 4-wheeler with a 12v car battery on the front will keep you whistling while working.
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200347991_200347991
Not sure if it still comes with this gun http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200311938_200311938 but that gun works really well.

Irrigation/fertigation,
From water source to large collection tank. From large collection tank to a 305 gallon mixing tank where I can add measured out food while it fills/mixes, then off to the garden, from the mixing tank it goes 1-1/2" poly to 3/4" poly ea servicing about 6 plants, each plant gets 6 spaghetti tubes with spray emitters. I use Earth Juice products to lower my h2o pH to 6.4 during veg, and let it creep up to 6.7 in flower.

-Tom

Hi Humboldt local,

Yes, I add amendments each year and reuse soil.

Hi 3rdI,

Seed production I am so far using oversized pots filled with organic soil and not having to add anything else. It's just a soil mix, I'll get the ingredients for you. For indoor I would just stick to the Lucas mix you're using. I am improvising at my indoor garden due to what's available to me there. No soil mixer, I wish, lol. either a shovel or a modified mantis tiller. I remove the guard first thing and then the mantis is able to turn pretty deep holes. I turn the bottom 1/2, then add the top half and repeat.

Ocean99,

If I was taking Haze the whole season yeah I'd use this mix. I never take Haze the whole season anymore though. I like to start it late so I can finish more numbers out. Started in June, I'd cut all the amendments in half or so.

Best Regards,

Tom

nomaad

Veteran
Thanks Tom. Is PK soluable at the higher pH? I have always upped my micronutrient feeds and lowered my cal-mags... never thought about a veg/flower change.

I was once told of a chart of the growmore website that shows which nutrients are absorbed at what pH... I have never been able to find it.

nvthis

Hey Tom, I have a great BIG batch of supersoil (Recipe from S... You know) and want to run DC through it indoors.

No disrespect intended at all bro. I don't want to drop a name or step on toes or, in any way, veer off topic, but the SS is what I've got, and tons of it:eek::

So the plan is to run this DC in my own homemade 8-9 gal buckets with this super hot SS. I am thinking that she will need slightly less than most to see her through flowering, but I'm just not sure. I have no clue if you have ever run this recipe before but hoped you (being, of course, the foremost expert on everything DC as we know it-:respect:) might have some insight to help a brother along before I majorly cook my plants.

Thanks

Tom Hill

Veteran
DC is not fickle at all in regards to a hot soil mix and can take the heat as good and better than most cannabis plants. Go ahead with it :) -T

D

danimal7

Hi Tom ,
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us ,you are the man!
, do you add a mycorrhizal fungi blend?
I see you use earth juice , do you also use other brands too , BPB,Fox,ect..., do you use superthrive?

thanks again for mentoring the IC community

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi Jenn,

I've played with a lot of different soil recipes over the years, 1rst year new soil mixes, as well as yearly additives. Here's a very simple mix that is well proven and I am comfortable recommending for those large outdoor containers. It gives about 50 cubic feet or just over 300 gallons (dry U.S), and fills a 6ft diameter container to a depth of about 18inches - perfectly.

25 bags black gold potting soil (1.5cf ea)

4 bags stutzman farms chicken manure (1 cf ea)

1 bag perlite (4 cf ea)

1 bag (50 lbs) bonemeal (steamed, not precipitated)

1/2 bag gypsum (aprox 1/2 cf)

Mix well, water thoroughly, let rest for 2-3 weeks minimum, transplant, and stand back :)

Best Regards,

Tom

Hey Tom,

In the above quote you give a outdoor soil mix. What mix are you using in this indoor grow ?

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showpost.php?p=2636624&postcount=3

S_a_H

Tom Hill

Veteran
Hi Danimal7,

I have used mycorrhizal mixes before, but not lately - http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=133907&page=3 - follow Harvests and my posts along for two pages for just one reason as to why. Clearly, in the pic at bottom of the second page of our experiment, the larvae are present and I firmly believe this product was the culprit.

I've used Fox Farms etc, etc. I usually seek out a product that I can use that fits well with my water source. That is, one that brings feedings to an acceptable pH without the need of additional pH up/down products. Superthrive, no.

Hi S_a_H,

Currently for indoor seed production I am using a simple peat, perlite, humus blend. Last grow it was compo sana. FFOF etc would be a good comparison. The goal for me is to use a simple mix that has enough food to not have to feed additionally. Oversize pots and not overwatering seems to be getting the job done with these simple mixes. -Tom

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hi S_a_H,

Currently for indoor seed production I am using a simple peat, perlite, humus blend. Last grow it was compo sana. FFOF etc would be a good comparison. The goal for me is to use a simple mix that has enough food to not have to feed additionally. Oversize pots and not overwatering seems to be getting the job done with these simple mixes. -Tom

Thanks Tom,

I am a plug-n-play kinda guy and for the few short years I have been growing and living in cali I was lucky to find FF soil mixes everywhere. But this last bag I bought was something different and really pushed me over into using coco. I uderstand the soil mix is not going to always be a constant product so I am waiting until the current pallet is sold off before I buy another bag. The FF works really good for the two month life span of the autoflowers I have been growing.

S_a_H

Dr. Purpur

Custom Haze crosses
Veteran
FFOF

FFOF

Thanks Tom,

I am a plug-n-play kinda guy and for the few short years I have been growing and living in cali I was lucky to find FF soil mixes everywhere. But this last bag I bought was something different and really pushed me over into using coco. I uderstand the soil mix is not going to always be a constant product so I am waiting until the current pallet is sold off before I buy another bag. The FF works really good for the two month life span of the autoflowers I have been growing.

S_a_H

I got a bad batch of FF this spring( It looked weird, like some dredged crap) then switched to Black gold. My buddy complained about bugs in his FF this year too. I like the BG better than I expected. Im more plug and play too, but I decided to try it, Its the 2 CF bag with the flower on it. I just throw on some meta K and some micro nutrients , and a little foss. seabird guano, along with the earth juice and fox farm big bud at the end. it was worth it.

S_a_H

Autoflower Crusader
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I got a bad batch of FF this spring( It looked weird, like some dredged crap) then switched to Black gold. My buddy complained about bugs in his FF this year too. I like the BG better than I expected. Im more plug and play too, but I decided to try it, Its the 2 CF bag with the flower on it. I just throw on some meta K and some micro nutrients , and a little foss. seabird guano, along with the earth juice and fox farm big bud at the end. it was worth it.

I am pretty limited here with getting needed materials so I do plan on getting more but this time I am opening a bag at the store and if its crap thats the only bag i'll buy.

But it is going to be a product that does change to some extent but its going to happen a couple times and then someone is going to switch products altogether. I am sure times are tough on FF and they like any business is doing all they can to save money. What they don't understand I would rather spend $5 or $10 more to get back to the good shit.

S_a_H

Status
Not open for further replies.