What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

new grower, plants per canopy question

Chrono2

hey im about to start my first grow and one thing im unsure of is how many plants im going to need to fill a 5x5 canopy with a 4 week veg @ 600w and flower @ 1000w.
thanks for any replies, and if anyone has any other ttips for new growers id happily take them

Mr Blah

Being it will be your first grow I would suggest just sticking with the basics of worrying about a successful grow. Nailing down specifics in a log book as you grow. Bettering yourself each grow.

For that space you could do 1 at 4 weeks veg from clone or 4-6-8 clones....It all depends on what you want to do and how fast they grow in your environment.

Do a lot of reading and research, take notes. then practice.

Spaventa

Veteran
Look into SOG. Consider that the HPS will only penetrate 18". Its not productive to finish plants tall so you want to plant dense and 2 week veg max, for rooting really, not to get them bigger - you plant dense. How many depends on the genetics, more if they are vertical, sparse growers or less if they are bushy and side branch extensively. Anywhere between 9 and 16 depending on those factors.

Chrono2

Look into SOG. Consider that the HPS will only penetrate 18". Its not productive to finish plants tall so you want to plant dense and 2 week veg max, for rooting really, not to get them bigger - you plant dense. How many depends on the genetics, more if they are vertical, sparse growers or less if they are bushy and side branch extensively. Anywhere between 9 and 16 depending on those factors.

thank you for the reply i was thinking around a 2 week veg as well, and i have the spacing setup for 9 spaces 20' square in my 5x5 so i was thinking 9 as well

Spaventa

Veteran
thank you for the reply i was thinking around a 2 week veg as well, and i have the spacing setup for 9 spaces 20' square in my 5x5 so i was thinking 9 as well

Any time. I run Canna Rhizotonic during those 2 weeks. You get 4 weeks worth of root establishment in half the time. If they get overcrowded, prune side branches, defoliate and lollipop as needed to keep some light penetration and prevent a microclimate beneath the canopy. I don't touch them after 3rd week of 12/12.