What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wind damage

Zest510

Hey guys just had a quick question for you. I'm growing outdoors in 200s, new location for me. This place gets huge gust of winds throughout the day and the last 2 days have beat my girls like crazy. Luckily I don't have any broken branches but the tops of my plants and the sides where the wind was beating them down is pretty droopy.

I've never dealt with this much wind nor have I ever had this problem. Besides watering my plants, will spraying them with water help them perk back up? Or should I spray them down with a mixture of anything? It looks like the leafs are just super dry and dehydrated so I'm assuming hosing them will help. Thanks in advance

steasy88

Can't you put a fence up to break the wind could use clear plastic so light can still get to your plants and they should perk back up I don't think there is anythink u can give it just to stop it alone all the best bro

troutman

Seed Whore
Try to add a little mulch around them to hold the moisture better.

I prefer misting very early in the morning almost in the dark or at night when I do.

Limeygreen

Veteran
Careful to not overwater them, wind is more damaging than heat. When the wind comes it closes the stomata as you have lost the microclimate around the leaf tissue so the stomata close to preserve water. If you over water to compensate the droopiness then you run the risk of creating root pressure and guttation which would give you higher amounts of water and if in flower could lead to mold, if not flowering you could lead to mildew. The tissue has become beat up and sounds like it's just your newer soft growth. Silica foliar or drenches could help toughen the cells a bit but blocking the wind would do the best, especially if your soil moisture is fine. The leaf should return rougher than before after several days but I would caution to not over water, if your soil moisture is good don't add more water to perk them back up from wind damage, if the soil is dry, the advice the other fellows gave you should help a bit as well.

master kusher

surprised no body has mentioned setting up a horizontal trellis. Most of the time you can find what you need at local hardware and gardening stores if you look hard enough.