Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Vertical / Colosseum Growing > Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need

Thread Title Search
Click to buy cannabis seeds at Ace Seeds
Thinkin bout goin vert? Here's what you might need Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-11-2011, 01:31 PM #21
MyGreenToe

MyGreenToe has a spectacular aura aboutMyGreenToe has a spectacular aura aboutMyGreenToe has a spectacular aura aboutMyGreenToe has a spectacular aura aboutMyGreenToe has a spectacular aura about
One thing I'll add about those great little fans:
Cut the grille off the front side of the fan. I doubt anyone has infants crawling around in their grow, so let's get all the airflow we can! An added benefit is that you can clean the fan blades without having to disassemble the thing. I initially tried to just remove the front half and run it like that, but it's too flimsy. So it's better to leave the two halves together and cut out the grille. That way the fan stays solid but u get max airflow.

Cool thread. It should get a sticky, and Marlo should maintain an updated list of the best stuff people suggest, in the first post. (haha you made the thread you do the work bro!)

Keep it Green
MGT
MyGreenToe is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:21 PM #22
mrheadie

mrheadie has a spectacular aura aboutmrheadie has a spectacular aura aboutmrheadie has a spectacular aura about
im inspired every day by you guys over here in the ver section. 12-13 more weeks til the switch for me and i cant wait. i just pulled 880 (just under 1 per light, woo-hoo!) from 2 600 and i'll need to improve on those numbers which is def attainable. thx guys!

Old 03-11-2011, 03:04 PM #23
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Great ideas guys.
All the props should go to UnknownProphet. This thread was his idea to start. All these things are usually taken for granted by us vert veterans, and can be really helpful in getting new vert growers past the first run jitters. Some of these things aren't thought of until a problem arises, and we need a solution.

Props to everyone who has contributed already!

There used to be a thread about how to hang a light vertically. I haven't been able to find it yet, but i did find this cool method Texassativa posted to hang a light. He originally posted it as a method for cooltubes, but it looks like it will also work perfectly for hanging some bare bulbs. Very easy to attach a chain to the 4 corners of the grill. I might have to do this myself, cuz my lights are being hung by zip ties right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texassativa View Post
An east way to mount a mogul socket in a cool tube is to use a 4" computer fan grill. The socket is mounted to the grill using two screws and small fender washers. The grill has 4 tangs ,that can be bent, to bolt to a duct reducer. This is a real sloid way to mount the fan. A 120volt 4" fan can also be mounted to the grill. Just be carful on the screw length. They have to be just long enough to engage the threads and not be long enough to hit the base of the bulb. This works a thousands times better then metal straping. And the $135 store bought cool tube ain't built using one....which I'm sure to see this idea...soon.

We'll call it the "Light Grill Tech"

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSPB View Post
The purpose was to metaphorically stack the deck with the best possible hand in the plants corner, so when we simply mimic rain, the plant can go all in.

NSPB Full Life Formula

Marlo is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM #24
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownProphet View Post
Great thread Marlo. I and countless others will definitely learn a thing or two in here. I can not compliment you enough, as you seem to be one of those growers who makes everything look so easy. Bravo.
Thanks bro. I only make it look easy cuz i don't show my fuck ups! Haha. Good luck makin the switch!

Quote:
The purpose was to metaphorically stack the deck with the best possible hand in the plants corner, so when we simply mimic rain, the plant can go all in.

NSPB Full Life Formula

Marlo is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:30 PM #25
AugustWest

AugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of lightAugustWest is a glorious beacon of light
AugustWest has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
thanks for this marlo & the rest of the vert folks!!

i have lotsa questions.. but it's the morning and my brain doesn't work till noon..

just wanted to say thanks for this thread, and for answering all of our questions.. y'all rock!!
AugustWest is offline Quote

Old 03-11-2011, 03:41 PM #26
CyrilSneer

CyrilSneer will become famous soon enough
really great thread Marlo.. thanks a bunch. 2 or 3 more days and I've got my room done. I'm stacking a 1000 over a 400 (or at least thats the plan.. temps will decide) in a 7x7 room with 7 plants vegged to roughly 30". I've begun training on my 30" high x 16" wide 'Marlo Screens' Made from wood and pipe cleaners *snicker* Actually turned out not bad.
Can you tell me the size of your screens? I'm really excited to get this going.

Sneer

Medical Card Holder
CyrilSneer is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2011, 10:09 PM #27
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Wsup Sneer. My screes are approx 12 x 30-ish. I don't remember exactly.
1k over a 4oo should be nice. Good luck bro!

Quote:

NSPB Full Life Formula

Marlo is offline Quote

Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM #28
kannubis

Great thread Marlo.
All one really needs to hang a socket is an angle bracket or a piece of plumbers tape bent into a loop and 1 "s" hook for a single chain dangler.

Last edited by kannubis; 03-12-2011 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: add pics

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:03 PM #29
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Vert veg vs Flat veg

Another topic alot of new vert growers are concerned with is, whether or not they should veg their plants vertically. I see this question asked all the time. I don't believe there is a correct answer, but there are a few factors you should consider when making your decision.

Veg'n your plants vertically will cause them to grow out towards the bulbs and promote strong lateral branching (because the sides are getting blasted with light).Most vert vets like to keep the bulbs slightly higher than usual to encourage the plants to still stretch upwards. The plant will also begin to develop a "front" and back" naturally. The front being the side facing the bulb(s). I like to start training the branches in the back to the front and/or clear out the rear foliage. (strain dependent) These factors may be positives or negatives depending on your overall situation, but you'll be able to take advantage of them or make adjustments if your prepared.

When veg'n horizontally plants tend to reach up for the light, and the lower branches are skinnier and slower to develop than new growth on top. Not a bad thing, it's been working for years. Topping and LST'n will get you plenty of branches if that is what you desire. Keep in mind your horizontally veg'd plant will take a day or two to adjust when it is switched to veg light. The fan leaves and branches will start to turn toward the light. The plant will start to show a front and back and you'll probably start some form of training at that time. Again, not a big deal, just another factor to consider.

In my opinion the most important factor is, what is easiest for you? If you have a dedicated flat veg room, it's probably easiest to go that route. If you only have one room, you can go straight from the cloner, into your vert setup. Everybody's situation is different and there are many methods that work well.

DISCLAIMER
I should have said this before.... Everything I'm posting up in this thread is only meant as suggestions based on my findings as a vertical grower. I'm still very new to this myself and make mistakes daily. Please feel free to point out any inaccuracies, alternate methods, or things I left out. I'm just tryna share the love

Quote:

NSPB Full Life Formula

Last edited by Marlo; 03-20-2011 at 07:25 PM..
Marlo is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2011, 11:06 PM #30
Marlo
Wall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kannubis View Post
Great thread Marlo.
All one really needs to hang a socket is an angle bracket or a piece of plumbers tape bent into a loop and 1 "s" hook for a single chain dangler.
hey, I use the ol' chain and "S" hook myself!

Quote:

NSPB Full Life Formula

Marlo is offline Quote