What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Does anyone know where I can buy a "Pass-Thru" filter?

Bagseed68

Hi,
I currently have an 8" carbon scrubber/filter hanging in my 5'x5'x6' tent and is fashioned similar to the setup pictured below. A 485 CFM inline fan drew the air thru the filter, the hood, and pushed it out the window into my backyard. This was great during the winter but now that temps are rising I have found it necessary to introduce an AC unit into my tent and the exhaust from that must now occupy the duct to the tiny basement window, of which will only accommodate one duct. Everything is running smoothly as I'm still early in veg. My concern will be when I flip to 12/12 and these ladies start to stink. All that fruity aroma will be sucked thru the AC and out the window and eventually drift on over to the neighbors' backyard.
What I need but haven't been able to locate online (for under about $150 or so) is a carbon scrubber that clean my AC exhaust on it's way out the window. Does anyone know of such a beast? Or do I need to build my own?
Any and all replies are extremely appreciated!

Attachments

• fltrstup.jpg
    fltrstup.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 18

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
I think your best bet would be to scrub the air before it even reaches the AC somehow. Are you cooling the entire room with the AC or just the tent itself? I've seen a tent where they just put a carbon filter like yours standing in the corner, and attached an inline fan right to the top of it. Cleaned the air in the tent reliably well and they didn't have to worry about ducting. Apparently there is a company named Phresh that does in line filters too, but they are hella expensive.
https://www.amazon.com/Phresh-Inline-Filter-500-CFM/dp/B00CJIMUH2 http://www.phreshfilter.com/

Last edited:

Dank Demon

Growing herb is a way of life!
Veteran
I just rub a 8" Hyper Fan on a 8" filter in the corner of the room scrubbing the air before my ac expels it, has worked for a few years now and I have had some stinky buds in there!!

Bagseed68

I first tried to cool the entire room but the AC unit was constantly running and didn't seem to lower the temperature inside the tent any, if at all. then I tried hooking the AC unit exhaust straight to the filter outside the tent but all that did was raise the temp in the room, as well as the tent.
I get what you're saying though, clean air into the AC, clean air out. Unfortunately, the entire back panel of the AC is intake and there is no way to insure that only "clean" air will enter. Plus, having both the inline fan and the AC unit running simultaneously puts too much negative air pressure on the tent. I've already broken a pole that way. :cry:

Koondense

Veteran
Cool the room, not the tent.
AFAIK AC units don't push air out of the room, maybe only some portable units do.
But I may be wrong...

Cheers

Easy7

Veteran
My window a/c's all havena vent that can be closed. So it will only draw in and recirculate air. The air that is dumped outside is the hot air from the radiator that dumps hot air outside and dump cool inside. A good ac should not draw cold air from inside to the outside or draw hot air in.

As far as the ac blocking your exhaust that an issue for you to solve. Might just have to suck it up and chill that air with the ac or run co2.

Bagseed68

Thanks for the input!
I do have a portable unit. The basement window is too small for a window-designed unit. As you can see from the pictures below, it has an exhaust outlet surrounded by the intake grill. It is feasible that this could cool an entire room, but it simply can't compete with 1600W of MH lighting in an enclosed tent. Putting it inside the tent on a 15 min on/off timer seems to be working well. (I doubt I'll be feeling the same way when I get my next electric bill!)
My primary concern will be in 3 or 4 weeks when my girls really begin to stink, and the AC is venting it right out the window!

Attachments

• 20180523_002441.jpg
    20180523_002441.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 20180523_002512.jpg
    20180523_002512.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 16

Koondense

Veteran
Then make a duct for the light only, make it blow out of the window and get rid of most the light's heat(vented reflector with glass is needed).
The other duct should be for the carbon filter alone while the AC cools the room.
Problem solved ;)

Cheers

N

noyd666

phresh inline filter will do a good job, heavy so need support, not cheap. got mine outside under cover.
picture.php

Bagseed68

Then make a duct for the light only, make it blow out of the window and get rid of most the light's heat(vented reflector with glass is needed).
The other duct should be for the carbon filter alone while the AC cools the room.
Problem solved ;)

Cheers

That was my original intention, Koondense. Unfortunately my window is tiny and will only accommodate one duct. The AC blows hot-ass air out the back and there is no other place to vent it.

Bagseed68

phresh inline filter will do a good job, heavy so need support, not cheap. got mine outside under cover.View Image

Noyd,
I think that's the way I'm going to have to go. I really didn't want to spend $200+ on another filter but I think that's my only option. Unless...?
I could possibly hook my current scrubber up to the AC but it would have to be outside. Would being exposed to the elements reduce the efficiency of the carbon?

N

noyd666

mine are in a big tub upside down sitting on bench ,pipe in,pipe out short end, mesh cover. one's been there over two years and still ok, are in among the bushes. works.