What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Another school shooting

The school shooting near Houston on Friday bolstered a stunning statistic: More people have been killed at schools this year than have been killed while serving in the military.

Initial estimates put the number killed at Santa Fe High School at eight. (The death toll has since risen to 10.) We can compare that to figures for the military compiled from Defense Department news releases, including both combat and noncombat deaths. Even excluding non-students who died in school shootings (for example, teachers) the total still exceeds military casualties.

Will the NRA step up and thank these children for their service?

Green Squall

The school shooting near Houston on Friday bolstered a stunning statistic: More people have been killed at schools this year than have been killed while serving in the military.

Initial estimates put the number killed at Santa Fe High School at eight. (The death toll has since risen to 10.) We can compare that to figures for the military compiled from Defense Department news releases, including both combat and noncombat deaths. Even excluding non-students who died in school shootings (for example, teachers) the total still exceeds military casualties.

How could today have been stopped? Even with stringent gun control, an assault weapons ban and more background checks, shotguns and revolvers would still be available. Those are two guns that aren't going anywhere. Not even Liberals are calling for that!

Also, not only Conservatives own guns. Many Democrats and Independents (like myself) own them.

brown_thumb

I beg to differ ─ taking away their guns is the only way to stop your crazy American carnage...

I mean, how fucking stupid do you have to be to not realise that fewer guns means fewer gun deaths...

I disagree. Our crazy American carnage is caused by socioeconomic and mental health issues. The young man in Santa Fe, Texas placed pipe bombs which didn't detonate and had at least one Molotov cocktail.

"Fucking stupid"? Had the young man no access to firearms, he would have simply detonated several bombs. How fucking stupid is it is it to not understand that?

Green Squall

I disagree. Our crazy American carnage is caused by socioeconomic and mental health issues. The young man in Santa Fe, Texas placed pipe bombs which didn't detonate and had at least one Molotov cocktail.

"Fucking stupid"? Had the young man no access to firearms, he would have simply detonated several bombs. How fucking stupid is it to not understand that?

Don't bother BT. Pinnate already got a spanking from the mods for being nasty.

brown_thumb

Too divided on whether innocent children should or should not be allowed to attend school without being slaughtered at their desks for no reason, eh?

Your "president" is enacting laws to protect blobs of ectoplasm in women's wombs, FFS, and schoolgoing children are expected to be happy with his fucking "thoughts and prayers" after they've been senselessly shot dead by other children with military assault rifles...

You're just parroting the brainwashed nonsense you've eagerly accepted.

AR-15 rifles are not 'assault weapons'. They're no more deadly than many other semi-automatic sporting and hunting rifles.

The young man at Santa Fe, Texas, USA used a shotgun and .38 caliber pistol. He had no AR-15. He also placed pipe bombs and carried a Molotov cocktail. If the bombs had been strategically placed and well-timed, those would have been far more deadly than any firearm.

Please get your facts straight and stop repeating illogical brainwashed crap.

I do agree about our president but that's another discussion.

jimdc

and more people have been killed in chicago this year by blacks than all school shootings and military deaths combined by far. wheres your outrage for that. just cherry pick your outrage to justify gun control. america is the safest place on earth if you eliminate just 5 cities in the US from the stats. all democratic run cities with strict gun control.

May to Date
Shot & Killed: 24
Shot & Wounded: 148
Total Shot: 172
Total Homicides: 29

2018 Stats Shortlink
Week in Progress (5/13 – 5/19)
Shot & Killed: 6
Shot & Wounded: 35
Total Shot: 41
Total Homicides: 9

2018 Stats Shortlink
Year to Date
Shot & Killed: 150
Shot & Wounded: 763
Total Shot: 913
Total Homicides: 183

igrowone

Veteran
the 1 item i don't see mentioned, not sure of all the details
many states require to secure your weapons, gun safe etc.
texas? i don't believe they do
there is an argument for better securing of weapons

jimdc

and those stats are just chicago. if you add the other 4 cities the #s are staggering. but not a peep from you liberal pukes about that because it doesnt fit your narrative.

vta

Veteran
An atmosphere of dead serious responsibility for gun ownership vs the ludicrous clown show that has conservatives hysterical about gun rights would change the equation. Guns as a surrogate for patriotism is the logic of the common idiot

Don't agree fancy pants...

All I see in there is ignorance...

How could today have been stopped? Even with stringent gun control, an assault weapons ban and more background checks, shotguns and revolvers would still be available. Those are two guns that aren't going anywhere. Not even Liberals are calling for that!

Also, not only Conservatives own guns. Many Democrats and Independents (like myself) own them.

Bro I'm not arguing that some particular move might have stopped this atrocity. My point is that the carnival atmosphere, the rhetotic of the NRA, the imbecile level debates about the meaning of the 2nd amendment, the association of guns with freedoms, the trivializing of lethal weapons all set a tone that fosters more commitments to guns than human life.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
420giveaway
How fucking stupid do you people have to be to know that less forks and spoons will mean a slimmer and healthier world.

It's those fucking forks and spoons that are making everyone fat.

And, it starts with the kid's cafeterias.

BAN ALL FORKS AND SPOONS FROM SCHOOLS BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

How fucking stupid do you have to be not to see only MY opinion.

Green Squall

Bro I'm not arguing that some particular move might have stopped this atrocity. My point is that the carnival atmosphere, the rhetotic of the NRA, the imbecile level debates about the meaning of the 2nd amendment, the association of guns with freedoms, the trivializing of lethal weapons all set a tone that fosters more commitments to guns than human life.

The meaning of the 2nd Amendment is clear according to the Supreme Court.

District of Columbia v. Heller

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_of_Columbia_v._Heller

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
how about acting like a grown up and hope OUR president succeeds? wishing he fails is wishing america fails. proves you are a fucking POS.

Jim, Your posts are nothing but spew, name calling, stereotypes and pure nonsense. Are you 15 years old? Have you ever in your life entered a discussion with a logical set of facts organized to be delivered in a point - counterpoint delivery? Obviously not.

You spew nothing but nonfactual bullshit. Go back and read your previous comments and try to focus. You have said nothing. You insult people who are obviously much more intelligent than you And you have generally made an ASSHOLE out of yourself.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
so my stats on chicago murders are false? educate yourself. i have been a major asshole for 30+ years because I DONT GIVE A FUCK. prove me wrong with actual facts dumbass.

Before you entered this was a pretty good conversation among people with various viewpoints. Intelligent people, conservatives and liberals, leave the conversation when people like you arrive.

I've been to Chicago and Rockford many times and have heard the gunshots myself. The weekly numbers are staggering, but it has nothing to do with the conversation taking place prior to you turning it to mush with your spew. Chicago is gang violence largely based on territory, drugs and race. The conversation that took place prior to your spew was about kids, guns and high school shootings.

So Jim, I could tell you how many keys there are on my keyboard and it would be true but it has nothing to do with the conversation, Just like Chicago. So you see Jim, This is just one more spew of irrelevant nonsense. You were right that you are a major asshole and that you obviously don't give a fuck because you're out in left field buddy. The parade went by and you missed it. You're the Dumbass.

M

moose eater

The off-the-charts disrespect expressed in this thread today is the more benign side of the Country's issue with violence.

If the person we're talking to or dealing with isn't deemed as worthy of enough respect to carry on without blunt provocation and insult, then why are folks even talking?

No one's (or very few) being convinced to re-think their position when such epithets are slung back and forth. The only convincing going on is that grown-ups with cannabis maybe need a room monitor or hall monitor, and maybe a trip to charm school..

If I posted the way some in this thread have, and re-read my remarks, I'd be embarrassed. If someone spoke this way in my home, they'd be out the front door with my boot up their ass.

And we're going to solve the violence problems in the world or country?? Not if this is the vehicle and methodology.

Folks, we've got members dying from diseases as I type, and trying to get some food, with few options. We've got a member (probably more than that) mourning the anniversary of a dead family member. We've got members here facing surgery and others facing jail and bankruptcy. We've got all kinds of members in need, and division & insult seems to be the hottest ticket today for some.

Fuck me runnin'!!

Carry on.

brown_thumb

Jim, you're not helping our efforts to convince fence-straddlers of the worthiness and rightness of our cause to preserve the 2A. Purely hateful remarks won't convince others to observe facts and come to logical conclusions. I'm guilty of some retaliatory negativity but am avoiding excessive use of such. I'm asking as a fellow supporter of the 2A to please tone it down and end the bitter accusatory demeaning rhetoric. It only causes harm to our cause.

jimdc

Before you entered this was a pretty good conversation among people with various viewpoints. Intelligent people, conservatives and liberals, leave the conversation when people like you arrive.

I've been to Chicago and Rockford many times and have heard the gunshots myself. The weekly numbers are staggering, but it has nothing to do with the conversation taking place prior to you turning it to mush with your spew. Chicago is gang violence largely based largely on territory, drugs and race. The conversation that took place prior to your spew was about kids, guns and high school shootings.

So Jim, I could tell you how many keys there are on my keyboard and it would be true but it has nothing to do with the conversation, Just like Chicago. So you see Jim, This is just one more spew of irrelevant nonsense. You were right that you are a major asshole and that you obviously don't give a fuck because you're out in left field buddy. The parade went by and you missed it. You're the Dumbass.
so what you are saying is that people in chicago getting shot every day are worth less than people shot at schools by white people? why dont you clarify that that? you are saying that black murders mean shit to you. proves you are a racist POS. thank you for letting all of us know that you are a racist pos.

Green Squall

Jim, just for the record, its hard to take anyone seriously who uses words like buttercup, snowflake, libtard, etc, etc. I'm surprised you haven't used the term "Trump Train" yet. Get yourself together and smoke some freakin' herb!