What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

was busted last night need help and suggestions!!!!!!

C

chytil151

I was busted on a call from the police that some1 had smelled MJ in my neighborhood. well as I was walking out my front door 2 police officers shined their flashlights on me and told me what had been called in and If I was the renter of the house. I replied yes and shut my door behind me. The 1 officer asked me for my ID which was up stairs in my wallet when I told the officer this He gave me the option to fallow me to get the ID or put me into custody until they issued a search warrent. Mind you this is in SW pennsylvania U.S.A. .

After the officer and myself talked for a few moments it was clear that they had probable cause to search the house just from the smell on my cloths is from what they are claiming. I know that it was a bad idea to let them into the house but I had no ID on me and until they could prove who I was I would be detained until a search warrent came threw or I permitted them into the home. this happened at around 11 PM at night so I was unable to contact a lawyer at that time. I have called 1 since this had all happened,And I hope to hear from him by the next 2 days hopefully. I got a cpl lawyers names from the NORML website.

they confiscated 16 immature plants and 22 maturing plants there was nothing processed or scales,or guns. They took all my lights and equipment and said all the plant matter would be dried and a total weight would determine how much to be charged w/ . Then one officer gave me his card and asked if I wanted to help myself I could contact Him about it. WELL BELIVE ME I AM NO RAT AND NOR WILL I EVER BE!!!!!! Well this is my first offence and pretty much my first time ever being in trouble for anything. since I had no scales and nothing processed They really can't get me on distribution and only on cultivation?I told all the officers I was growing to supply my medical condition which I do have D.J.D. In my l4,l5 and l6 disc's. and Have medical records to prove my case.

My questions are if any one has been in a similar predicament and that could offer any advice to me about how this should play out If I decide not to co-operate w/ the task force. which I plan on not doing. from what the officer is sayn is I had not been arrested yet and wouldn't be until I contacted him in the next few day's on weather or not I would play ball. please any any help or info any1 could supply would be great in my time of need please any1 I need :comfort:

tough situation to give advice on. You've already got the part where you cant really trust the cop thats wanting you to "play ball".

though if you're story is just for personal use then i dont know how they'd even expect u to play ball...

guest396

well, no clue on the laws in your state, but basically you have just been kicked into play in what is known as "THE SYSTEM". i hope that you are smart and talk to the lawyer first before you help yourself into anymore trouble. talk to and take advise ONLY from those with experience in these matters and of the utmost importance, those experienced in the laws regarding cannabis in your area.

hind site 20/20, never help them place you in the defendants position, if they are going to get you they will. don't help them "help" you ever. no, not ever.

donny darko

Just a few words. Officer am I being detained or am I free to go. I do not consent to searches, again officer I am I being detained or am I free to go. They just plain talked you into giving up your rights. Also you do not have to talk to police or identify yourself. Talk to a lawyer and see if your state offers a medical necessity defense, basically it would do more harm not to break the law than what breaking the law actually created. Also I believe this is why we need to move the general public about their right of jury nullification. Good luck
darko

C

chytil151

I know I shouldn't have let them In but they were going to detain me till either I did let them In or they got a search warrent so I was kinda screwed either way. Like i said I contacted a lawyer from the NORML website in my area as soon as I was left go. and I hope to hear from him tomarrow. dose any1 know what the minimum and max would be in my situation as far as jail time if any if I was to just go forth with "THE SYSTEM"? Like I was sayn they have me on cultivation only so far and I was only growing to help my back problems. I didn't give them any info that they didn't need nor did I give them a hard time when they asked me to show them where everything was,and they wrote down that I co-operated in the fullest w/ no problems so I might have that going for me, but maybe not If I do not decide to play ball................

C

chytil151

I second that 1 darko belive me I was brought up not to involve myself into others business or speak of it so belive me man I was only stating what was said to me by the officers.

T

tokinafaty420

I have kind of been in your situation. Basically was looking at the same kind of penalities and fines for what I was tried with. First off never sign any paper they present to you. It is basically a signed confession and by doing so you are admitting to basically anything they are accusing you off even before they actually accuse you in court. So anything could result from it. Lawyer up to minimize the sentence. Sorry to say you willingly let the police in to search your house and by doing so have given up your rights. They could have detained you for not showing ID, but a judge could have easily denied the warrant and you would have gone free. The best you are going to do is play the medical card. It is currently being discussed here in Pa and might help you in a trial. Good luck.

In my opinion first time offense plus medical excuses will probably result in a very long probation term. The worst part about it all will not be prison or the probation it will be living the rest of your life with the felony. It will define you to most professional types. They won't see beyond it.

detain me till either I did let them In or they got a search warrent so I was kinda screwed either way.
You mean they told they were going to detain you until...
And so what? Teh judge says, "Why do you want this warrant?"
"Uh, he ain't got no ID sir, an' he wouldn't let us in!"
Judge, "So?"
Doesn't matter what they say they will do, doesn't matter if they do it. You can fight the validity of the warrant later. Now?
they wrote down that I co-operated in the fullest w/ no problems so I might have that going for me
Good luck, I truly hope you do have that "going for you." Police spend their days and nights working with criminals, they deal with liars and thieves on a constant basis. They have learned to be more like crooks than you. Hopefully your situation will be a reminder to others.

Let's all hope you get treated with the compassion due someone growing for personal, medical use. And learn this, never give up your constitutional rights. No matter what some cop says. They got the guns, they can take those away temporarily, if they have the right, they won't ask. They don't have to.

W

Wasabi420

did you sign a consent to search??? You should have just went to jail bro they cant search your house w/ out a warrant and smell isnt a reason to get a warrant. I went through the same shit. They didnt dry it out though ended up charging me with 35 lbs. You might get lucky with this but dont count on it cops lie...Worst case scenerio you'll catch a class d felony.....at least if you were in NY..not sure how the laws are in penn. If you do get this the worst you can do is 5 years in jail, but if you get a top notch lawyer and you have no priors youll get drug court/probation. Sux man sorry to hear about this. In the future if you ever grow again do not ever trust the cops. Always decline a search and flush you shit.

PuReKnOwLeDgE

Licensed Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shitty situation, next time make them go and get the paperwork, make them do their job. Like above poster said:

"Am I being detained or put under arrest? Am I free to go?"

I had a freind call me when he was pulled over, he had a bow of green and a .45 + cash. I thought his phone had called me in his pocket or something, until I started to listen in. I listened to my friend argue with the cops for 10 min about them searching his car. He stuck to his guns and pulled away unscarred.

Good luck and I feel for you! You should consider a state that allows you to medicate when this problem passes.

C

chytil151

thank you tokinafaty420 like I said I know it was wrong but the officer was right I did just get done trimming some plants and did smell like it. How long dose a case like this take to run it's course? I mean I am currently going threw A SSD claim for my back and have been out of work for about 3 months now because of my back problems. I am kind of broke atm but I cannot let my life be decided by a public defender I would be better off just defending myself.

basspirate

Fuck those fuckin' bastard cops. I will pray for mercy on your behalf.

I'm in the region too. Were these city cops or local yokels?

Either way, sorry to hear man.

T

tokinafaty420

thank you tokinafaty420 like I said I know it was wrong but the officer was right I did just get done trimming some plants and did smell like it. How long dose a case like this take to run it's course? I mean I am currently going threw A SSD claim for my back and have been out of work for about 3 months now because of my back problems. I am kind of broke atm but I cannot let my life be decided by a public defender I would be better off just defending myself.

1-6 months depending on how you decide to proceed forward. I mean guilty plea or fighting it. Its up to you if you feel confident enough to defend yourself. I would avoid a public defender though. Look up criminal trial lawyers. Typically require a 2,000-4,000 retainer and will charge you about $500 or something every now and then. Its enough to hurt the bank, but its nothing compared to what you will pay if you do it all wrong and end up with thousands of dollars worth of fines and court fees.

C

chytil151

this is at frisco, Yes they said until I could provide them w/ an ID of some sorts they were going to detain me and hold me either until I either came up w/ the ID or they got the search warrent. I told the officer my ID was in my wallet up stairs inside the home, he proseded to tell me that If I was going back into the house for the ID that he was going to fallow me in in case I had a gun or other weapons in the house that could harm the officers. So either way If I didn't submit they were going to hold me till they got the warrent or letting them into the house to fallow me in for the ID and seeing for them selves what was going on.

C

chytil151

at TOKIN, yes I know exactly how far a public defender will get me thats why I said I would be better off defending myself. But I do plan on lawyering up I just need to get some money together to be able to pay 1.

W

Wasabi420

no man you should have just gone to jail...they cant get a warrant for that. and my case took over a year. my lawyer cost $3,000 but it was well spent I have no criminal record

C

chytil151

at basspirate, yeah I know fuck those piggies and we are so close to the PA senate voting on our own MMJ. there is 2 lawyers from the NORML website right in my home town so If 1 dosen't call back by tomarrow I will be giving the other a call as well who know's It might be worth contacting a few. But money is hard right now.

W

Wasabi420

if you defend yourself you will catch a felony man I would deffinately get a good LOCAL lawyer. Preferably someone who has it "in" with the local judges. This is your best bet man. Honestly you'll get farther if they know the DA's....just my 2 cents

C

chytil151

wasabi420 yes I know now that I should have just gone to jail but I had narcotics on my person that I have a perscription for but did not have the bottle on me, I was walking out my front door to grab my mail that I didn't get earlier and when I walked outside I was approched by the officers as soon as I walked outside My natural instinct was to shut the door behind me and stick to my rights but I freaked and paniced I was totally caught off guard by the 2 officers.