What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Northern Lights?

I just wanted to ask if their was any big difference between Northern Lights, Northern Lights #5, Northern Lights #9 and so on?

I do understand they depend on what their crossed with but if you had a seed bank and choice which would you prefer??

{DR}

B

bcell

I had really good results with Dutch Passion Oasis which is NL#2. Very social smoke - newbies and connoisseurs all enjoyed. Very easy to grow.

WelderDan

Veteran
NL usually refers to NL#5, but there are several versions floating about. I believe true NL#5 is clone only (don't quote me on that). Dr Atomics NL has some nice grow reports. The sample I tried was good stony pot. Peaks NL is supposed to be pretty good too. I liked their Northern Berry (NL x BB) a lot. If their NL yields and smokes anything like the NB did, it's a winner.

NL#9 (Sag) was supposedly bred for low odor. Mostly Indica. all indications are it's an easy one to grow.

NL#1 is pure Afghan Indica, but I've only seen it offered in crosses to Hashplant. Poor yielder on its own I think. Clone only too I believe.

DP renamed their NL#2 to Oasis. Lots of info on that one. I've smoked some ran by a bro and liked it

igrowone

Veteran
there are some big threads on the NL history, or what is claimed to be the history
a tangled deal if there ever was one
i've grown out nl#5 from highgrade-seeds twice
very nice, strong indica - nl#5 is well known for low odor during flower and dense pine scented buds - it's a direct match on that score

biteme

cheif, there was no c99 at the time northern lights came about and near as i can tell, sag's nl#9 only has about 25% nl in it. to the best of my recall, there were 5 or 6 phenos originally that ended up with those numbers to discern one from the other and i am sure that info is in the archives here at icmag. peace-biteme

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Dont confuse me with someone that knows alot about the strain, but i believe there is quite a bit of difference in the plants DR, both in growth/appearance, yield and genetic dominance. NO. 5 was the original indoor high yeilder/w quality. Ive grown #5 from numerous companies and ive grown Oasis #2 like bcell, and while it was pretty good, it was significantly diffent than 5. I know #1 is used in several crosses because of dominant traits that it gives to offspring.

anectdotal info

I can only comment on NL from Nirvana.

And I believe it has changed. I have grown it about six or seven summers now.

It seems to me that around 2004 or so, the plant was very euphoric...it also had blue/lavender hues in the buds in most phenos.

More recently, I don't get that happy feeling from it, and the hues are gone. I am not exactly complaining...it is very frosty, with a very heavy narcotic stone, but it is a little bit less interesting.

I observe an occasional sativa pheno...very sickly sweet perfume smell, brief mild high.

Most are heavy indica. The keeper is the short pheno with less branching...

outdoordreams

No NL #5 is NL x C99 if I'm not mistaken. Known as a low odor strain and not clone only

This above post is WRONG.

Northern Lights #5.......is Pure NL genetics from Northwest US/WestCanada area.
It has no C99....LOL

Northern Lights is a Afghani x Thai, and grow for so many generations in basements across BC, Oregon, Washington State.
Northern Lights is a distant cousin to both Hashplant, and Big Bud. All three are NW US/BC originals.

I have bought 3 strains from Nirvana and I will never buy anything from them again, NOT because of the quality of their strains but because they arrived in a white envelope hardly sealed no tape to prevent anyone from opening the envelope which was ripped on the left corner like someone opened the package and reason 2 the seeds were so small they are the size of straight pin heads them small tiny plastic colored beads.

Aurora Indica, PPP, & Snow White, Thanks for All Your Help I am looking for a couple seed banks that I can spend decent money and get straight up for real genetics & good strains.

I'm a new grower and need some advice to which seed banks are for real and what you buy is the real strain and not knock off's.

Also to on a lighter note I just would like to remind peeps that when you receive a compliment K on your Reputation it wouldn't hurt to return the favor as we all remember the days of OG and it should be kind of a thank you when you receive some K.

Peace my Bro's keep it real & Thanks for the advice and please if you have some good quality experiences with seed banks shoot me the name or link..

Pseudo

just do it
Veteran
Dr. Atomic has the Northern Lights your looking for! PURE! North American Original!

the above statement is WRONG!
pure my azz, i grew some out and for something advertised as indica it was sativa dom, it grew some nice big buds, but lacked on flavor, took way longer than advertised, (real NL is in the 50 day range) it had skinny leaves and TONS of pistils, not the worst i ever had but definately a disapointment because i was looking for REAL NL, so lets get our facts straight before we steer newbie growers towards disapointment,

hazeydayz

doing a nlxc99 run now...flowering atm... the beans are from joeys weed... anyone have experience with this one and can tell me what i could expect in terms of the high, flavor etc

outdoordreams

the above statement is WRONG!
pure my azz, i grew some out and for something advertised as indica it was sativa dom, it grew some nice big buds, but lacked on flavor, took way longer than advertised, (real NL is in the 50 day range) it had skinny leaves and TONS of pistils, not the worst i ever had but definately a disapointment because i was looking for REAL NL, so lets get our facts straight before we steer newbie growers towards disapointment,

Considering Northern Lights is originally.......Afghani x Thai (Sorry originally said Haze)...........you should find some Sativa phenos.

If you did not find a keeper from Dr. Atomic genetics, sorry about your luck.
But the Dr. gets our respect as he has some of the best genetics on the market.
I would recommend him to newbies and canna-sours like yourself.

B

bcell

I always thought Northern Lights was Thai x Afghani. First I heard it was a haze cross.

thx for the help today with so many strains being pumped out a newbie's head spins as i'm a med user and have a few contacts in my area and will soon be relocating cali way and apply to grow legal but i'm interested in a few easy strains and just think NL is an easy one from what ive been reading. odor isn't a main concern as i will have a charcoal filter & intake fan 8" so thats covered i'm more interested in pain strains for severe nerve pain more at night but i would also need a wake & bake sativa strain for morning puffs with some herbal tea :D

sneakinman13

Veteran
i agree benji. the first plant i ever grew was female seeds northern lights.... and i happen to get AMAZING pheno my first go! .. man i miss that stufff.