What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Any Drummers Out There?

I Used To Grow

thank you so much Bonsai! all of you have been very helpful and encouraging and I totally dig that about you guys here

cool...so just start out simple with some sticks and a pillow...I can do that man..haha

alright...the pawn shops had nothing for drummers..no sticks, no sets, no kits, nothing man..

when I get paid next week I will be looking for some sticks to get me started..haha, I already have one drum stick from a No Doubt concert and it's signed by the black eyed peas..lol..can't use that..lol

James Morrison

~*MR.MOJORISIN*~
One of the best and most helpful books for begginers and pros iI have read was "Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey into the Spirit of Percussion" by Mickey Hart, Jay Stevens, and Fredric Lieberman. It allows you to see drumming and rhythm from a new persepective. I found it a total asset in taking my drumming to the next level.

Been playin since I was a wee lad. Nuthin like percusion. Great advise in this thread everybody. I'll never forget my percussion lessons in 5th grade. The class were drumming on wooden practice blocks and stuff. I wanted to play like Lars Ulrich! Drum lessons lasted about 3 weeks if memory serves. Best of luck to you I Used To Grow. Music is one of the greatest gifts you have as a human. Embrace it brother. Allways remember this advise: When dealing with anything musical, listen. Listening is SO VERY importent. Listen to music, seperate the drums from the bass, the bass from the guitar..exc. When playing with others, listen to them. Listen listen listen!

Here is that video of Tony Royster Jr. puttin 99% of drummers in the world to shame at 7 years old. The first time I watched this I couldnt play for weeks. lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9yIXoHXKKc

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^^^That was nuts! 7 yrs old!

I've been at it since about 96. Still play with my buddies on weekends. Improvised psychadelic dub reggae you could say. We throw in Hendrix and Ozzy's War Pigs for funs sometimes.... We actually have a couple gigs coming up which hasn't hapened for like 2 years, besides a friend's party a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
T

THCV

great responses! Bonsai, it seems like you might be a drum teacher in your spare time, you really know how to get someone started.

I have played for 15 years, been in a few bands that regularly headlined in NYC on fri/sats. I think Danny Carey is prob my fav now, but just like james morrison, i was inspired by Lars. Never took a lesson, just trained myself. When i learned i tried to put double bass in everything; as i grew older i got more tasteful. :) Math rock--ie weird time signatures like Tool--is what i love to play, but i am not in a band actively now so when i play with folks i generally have to stick with boring old 4/4 and 3/4.

There is nothing like drumming in front of a psyched crowd, and nailing a set with your bandmates. Really. Best feeling in the world, better than any of the strains we have. So becoming a drummer is highly recommended--you must have great rythm, but you don't have to learn how to read music or play chords, which is real nice. If you regularly tap your fingers and feet to music, and you notice rad-ass drum parts in songs, then you probably have what it takes.

The big down side is practicing. Unless you have a well soundproofed basement (and space next to your flower room, hehe), you pretty much have to go pay for a rehearsal space to play for real, or else your neighbors will hate you and possible call the cops, which is bad for most of us on ICMag. The best rehearsal spaces have drumkits, so if you can't rehearse at home, before you buy a kit you might want to go jam on a kit at an hourly studio ($10-40 an hour). It's loud as fuck, so always wear earplugs if you plan to rock out. The only time i take them out is at live shows, as they tend to interfere with the ability to hear the other instruments, and risk screwing up timing. Amazingly, after years of drumming without earplugs i had my hearing tested and it was better than average. But better safe than sorry.

Rock on! I love this thread. Oh, also, don't play stoned until you get your chops down a bit; it's fun to jam stoned, but i never smoke before playing live or learning/rehearsing complex songs. Too risky, i don't want to be the guy in the band that fuck up--leave that to the egomaniac guitarists.

On that ebay list, i'd get the Tama Rockstar. That was my first kit and it was totally solid. I only play Ziljan cymbals; right now you might not be able to tell the diff between cymbals, but it seems that most players end up truly preferring one brand over another. Ziljans just sound like i want cymbals to sound, none of the others fit the sound in my head.

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
THCV said:
so when i play with folks i generally have to stick with boring old 4/4 and 3/4.

No ya dont! As the drummer, you set the beat of the song, lay it down thick!

THCV said:
There is nothing like drumming in front of a psyched crowd, and nailing a set with your bandmates. Really. Best feeling in the world, better than any of the strains we have.

Thats right on. Performing is a blast!

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Huh...this thread lives....cool..I subscribed to it to see if it would ever pop back up. Huh!!
Thanks for the props y'all. How you makin out IUTG ? picked up some sticks yet?

Glad to see some other drummers pop out of the woodwork. Very cool.

My back is twisted at the moment so I can't really make a long post so I'll keep it as brief as possible.

THCV great addition to the thread man. glad to hear from ya. agreed on most everything you said I think .. oh I know what it was...the cymbal thing ... you points are bang on except that....I kinda agree and kinda don't but much like cymbals they are very personal. If you really wanna be picky you can go into a shop and pick 10 of the exact same cymbal and here 10 different sounds. I personally have Zydjian, Sabian and Paste cymbals and all were picked out individually with great care. I would sell my drums but never my cymbals.

Been drumming since 3 and started taking lessons at 4 ... just for the record...did I mention that before?

Pipeline "No ya dont! As the drummer, you set the beat of the song, lay it down thick!"

That's a nice dream but in reality it's absurd. The band and song sets the beat. The bass player mostly holds the hook and the drummer tells people when to stomp there feet and clap there hands...ie the splash ...bells and whistles.... it always amazes me how many people still think the drummer holds the beat or holds the hook. sometimes I suppose this is true when talking about drummers like Ac/DC or Metallica where the bass just peddles the a note and the drummer just tries to fit as many notes as possible into the song.... but...I'll shut up about pissy little lars....the bitch

oh and thcv .... exactly a good point about the tapping of your feet....guitarists and singers get to walk out and touch the crowd while playing.....my biggest high is looking out on a see of heads and watching them bounce to my right foot.

But as for the drummer holding the beat or the hook and groove?... I ask you all to hum a song and tell me what you are humming.....bet it's the bass line!!!!

Drums still rule though!!!!! Best instrument...hands down...or shall I say...stick down!

Peace...thanks for starting the thread IUTG

BG

oh and I just watched the Tony Royster jr video...seen him play before...he's tight eh? ... but funny what people say in the comments and responses section on that link....it just goes to show how people just don't get it unless they have been around really tight drummers. In no way would he ever be a metal drummer....like come on...just cause you can play 32nd notes doesn't make you a metal drummer...he will become more like Dave Mathew's drummmer(Bill Bruford I think is how ya spell it) or Omar Hakim from Sting

He was playing alot of notes there at times but it was all tastefull and far from a straight up metal drummer. My suggestion to everyone that wants to be a metal drummer...learn jazz first that way you won't sound like every other metal drummer out there and you'll have the skills to do it right. It's the singing and drumming that makes me not like metal!! ... Take Korn for instance...he's not really that good...but great at what he does because the rest of the band holds a good hook. Limp Bizket....he lays down some great beats but they are all copies of the roland 909 drum machine. But not many drummers can sound like a drum machine.....and I assure you folks....drum machines can now do it better than all of us if the right programmer.... sucks to admit it but it's true.

Alright...my back hurts and I have a show to play tomorrow night....off to ice my back....peace and much love to y'all

Last edited:

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
1. please buy a metronome and use it. A drummer must have great meter!

Great metal drummers:
1. Dave Lombardo - Slayer
2. Nicko McBrain - Iron Maiden
3. Tim 2K - Rage

Danny Carrey is in a league all his own!

I am pleased to see you are persuing this with a great attitude, IUTG! It will serve you well down the road. :yes

Glad you are up and around Bonsai. I missed you! Have a good show tomorrow.

well, gotta run. when the wife asks, "do ya wanna finish that hash joint", I say "yes dear!" :D

:wave:

:joint: :joint: <=== wife

Last edited:

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Hey HeadyPete ... I miss you too brotha!!! Say hi to the wife for me ... you guys inspire me that "the one" is still out there somewhere for me. You must have been subscribed to this link as well ...just like a good bass player that you are ... yu pay attention!!!

Man the KushxSuperskunk I was smokin last night really had me wacked out I see...check out the rant I made...what was I trying to say? sheesh ... don't I sound arrogant....sorry if I offended anyone yesterday...not my style usually.

man I even got Carter Beauford mixed up with Bill ... wasn't Bill in Genesis? Help me out Pete cause you have the 500+ album collection.

Oh and about metal drummers ... if you pay close attention to my last post you will see that I mentioned I don't like it...guess that means I really don't ever listen to it..so my opinion?... MOOT!!!

Who am I to judge different styles that is not my style...to each there own.

Just thought I'd add that.

And if y'all could say a prayer for me that would be great....because of all the chiropractor and physio bills I now have it looks like I won't be getting the Tama Bubinga Omni-tune drums at the end of the month I so wanted to buy....maybe with some luck and a few miracles. Sucks cause they are offered to me at half price $6500 for $3300 ... how can I let that slip by.

Keep Jammin everyone....whatever your style...music is a drug!

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Hey.

Bill Bruford was in King Crimson, Yes, Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, and Howe, and others.

Might have drummed with Genesis but I only remember Chester Thompson playing with Phil. Wiki said he played on

Seconds Out (1977, live)

Three Sides Live (1982, live) (International edition only, until 1994 when the album was remastered with the US version being deleted.)

Genesis Archive 2: 1976-1992

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Ha...too funny...see what I mean folks about Heady? ...nice...thanks man...ya I wasn't sure how Bill popped into my head there but exactly...he toured with them twice...I remembered him more than Chester I guess cause those were the albums I had as a kid.

Peace bro...always count on you!

Gotta Love it eh Pipeline? I wonder ...I'm learning other instruments but I don't think anything else can match the therapeutic bonus of playin drums. Zylaphone maybe ...cause it's a cross-over of piano ... gonna jump all over that once I learn piano.

Peace all...I'm off to do a little show ... pub of about 200 people .... sometimes these are my most memorable gigs.

hey...should we maybe start adding some of our signature drum beats? ... trade off some licks like clones...ha ... we could start naming them just as crazy as the breeder's .....hmmm

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
That was crazy last night....One of the guitarists had a hissy fit in the middle of the first set. (he's a rock-star in his own mind) and that prompted one of the other guitarists to pull a Pete Townsend. Too funny ladies and gentlemen...that's right ... a $3000 Hagstrom Super Swede smashed into bits. The gig went on of course and everyone loved the drama. In my typical fashion I just laughed my ass off behind my drums. I always knew something like this would happen on stage someday and I guess last night was it. Memorable it was. Needless to say though I'll never book a gig with those guys again. Talented sure but man ... it was too funny.

Peace everyone ... Hey IUTG ... is this the kind of stuff your lookin for when becoming a drummer? it was rock and roll all the way ha!

BonsaiGrower

Occasional User
Huh... Learn something new everyday! .. hmmmm Pulse or Verve? I personally have never heard of these drums. There are a ton of drum companies that buy the shells and hardware from other well known companies and then rebrand them as their own. Hard to say who made these drums. But for the price you get what you pay for I suppose.

Supacalabala I suggest the Verve Kit since it claims to be made from all Maple and comes with a 4 pack of cymbals. Seems like the better deal. It looks like the bass drum even hass a wood rim.

Here's a quick rundown of drum shells. Birch and cedar are lighter woods and have a brighter sound. Maple and other hardwoods have more tone and bottom end. The lighter woods alow you to play softer and get the full sound of the drum and when you hit them hard they lose their tone as the drum can't handle the hard vibrations while maintaining sound. The maple drums require you to hit them harder in order to get the full tone of the drum and allow you to play them pretty hard without loosing the sonic qualities of the shell. The number of layers also applies to this same rule. For instance a 3 ply shell is really light and best for jazz and light tappers. a 5 ply is very versitile and middle of the road and a 7 to 9 ply shell is heavy and built for bangers. A 9 ply all maple shell will require a pretty solid hit to get the full tone of the shell.

Hope that helps ... Peace

Bonsaigrower

HeadyPete

Take Five...
Veteran
Yah, I zoned the Genesis out after Pete left. Guess Bill had to come cover for Phil live who didn't want to sing and drum at the same time.

Nooooooooooooooooooo, not the Hagstrom!!! Oh My God!

What a tool Mr. X (what we will call him) is. Serves him right. Ahhhhhhh!

You need to move!