What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Shopping seeds for terpenes

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know Green House Seeds are releasing terpene contents for their seed strains. What other breeders are doing the same?

Hookahhead

Ace seeds also publishes this information. I find they have nice detailed lab analysis on most of their strains.

Guy Brush

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Ace website seems to have some problems with proxies. Anybody else experiencing this?

big315smooth

mama tried
Veteran
weirdest terp ive ever smelled bout 6 years ago got bag seeds outta washington called gear grease and it smelled and tasted like its name.

Mustafunk

Brand new oldschool
Veteran
Showing terpene test results from a bunch of parent plants doesn't guarantee that you may obtain similar results in the offspring. Nowadays the terpene and thc tests just became another fancy marketing tool for seed companies like cups, prizes and so on used to be.

Most seed companies don't have professional plant breeders on their team, they just do random matings and lack the plant breeding knowledge and techniques, especially for such kind of tricky plants as Cannabis. Most of the times it's the growers themselves who test and report back for them if the results of new hybrids are decent or not. Kinda hit an miss if you ask me.

Only with the CBD trend things are changing a bit since customers demand certain guarantees when they pay for CBD seeds and the particularities of CBD inheritance on the offspring. Until then, Cannabis breeding was even more amateurish.

Cheers.

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
as a customer, buying seeds from breeder to grow it and smoke it, I require the breeder, not to be professional, scientific or great salesman, but to be passionate smoker. and I require the breeder to select parents based on smoke tests. these are only valuable tests for me. I dont want seeds which parents were selected according to lab tests. I want quality of the effect, and there is no way how human reason can quantify the quality. because test lab says it has more THC is it better? - illusion of reason. because test lab shows it has more or less of this terp or other terp, is it better? - illusion of reason. and take medical weed. if it has this test lab quantified terps and cannabinoids, is it better in help for patients with cancer? but in the end somebody with cancer has to test it, right? :D and there are so many compounds in cannabis resin and not their content, but their mutual coaction causes the effect. not how many, but how they act and react to each other etc.. even if you would have mathematic analysis of molecular moves of this coaction. still have to test it on your body/soul. cheers.

regseeds

Showing terpene test results from a bunch of parent plants doesn't guarantee that you may obtain similar results in the offspring. Nowadays the terpene and thc tests just became another fancy marketing tool for seed companies like cups, prizes and so on used to be.

Cheers.

Agree, It's relevant for IBL's and not so relevant for F1's

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
as a customer, buying seeds from breeder to grow it and smoke it, I require the breeder, not to be professional, scientific or great salesman, but to be passionate smoker. and I require the breeder to select parents based on smoke tests. these are only valuable tests for me. I dont want seeds which parents were selected according to lab tests. I want quality of the effect, and there is no way how human reason can quantify the quality. because test lab says it has more THC is it better? - illusion of reason. because test lab shows it has more or less of this terp or other terp, is it better? - illusion of reason. and take medical weed. if it has this test lab quantified terps and cannabinoids, is it better in help for patients with cancer? but in the end somebody with cancer has to test it, right? :D and there are so many compounds in cannabis resin and not their content, but their mutual coaction causes the effect. not how many, but how they act and react to each other etc.. even if you would have mathematic analysis of molecular moves of this coaction. still have to test it on your body/soul. cheers.

So very true! Many factors are involved w/ terpenes. Know a few rec stores in CO. Anything to appease terpene hunters.

To grow, smoke and heal- it's all about the plant (genetics), how it's grown, cured. Terpenes are great, but not the end all.

Drewsif

I feel those common 2 dozen or so fruit and flower terpenes people talk about aren't even what I'm looking for in smell, definitely not in flavor. Lab testing is useful, but ignoring the obvious is detrimental. The best tasting citrus strain probably has zero d-limonene it it.

I'd like to know which terpenes cause cotton mouth. They used to say d-3-carene but I'm pretty certain alot of strains have zero of that. They also attribute red eyes to carene and that's an obvious fallacy. And oddly enough the last cedar strain I tested had zero carene,unless the lab is fraudulent.