What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Gorilla Glue, Inc. ‘Reverse Class-Action Suit’ Against All GG#4 Cultivators

Cat7

concurred - maybe if he didn't use the actual guerilla glue logo when at events...
I agree, but that was not us, that was others... But we agree, if we did stuff like that, yes, but we have not....
Please take a look at our site as our logos and packaging with our cultivators is not a mock of the adhesive company in no way, we do not condone this what so ever.

Cat7

Hey guys I want to help clarify something.

We tried to settle and if the cannabis industry knew what the adhesive company wanted to-do after we "settle" you can see why we are not...
Here is a small piece of it, The Adhesive Company will be going after each and every one that sells (dispenses), grows GG4 aka Gorilla Glue 4 after we settle, if you knew this, maybe YOU would understand why we are fighting. We could of said F*ck it and let you guys deal with the aftermath, but these two outlaws wanted to fight for you, the "cannabis" industry. Reading comments all day everyday (part of what I get to-do) I wonder why sometimes, it seems no one is ever happy, some will go out of their way to slam no matter what the situation is... but these 2 guys have a passion for what they do, and won’t allow Corp America to have a tantrum so we cave in. If this happens, it will only dig us dipper into the eyes of what "Corp American" thinks of cannabis users.

We are not fighting cause this its fun, think we are bigger and better then corp America, or we want to go broke, we are doing this, as these 2 guys Joesy & Lone woke up and said "oh f*ck, if we settle, what will happen? what will happen to other strain names will this follow suite, will this open up many, many more lawsuits, for strain creators, growers, and dispensaries, this would set Precedence to allow Corporate America a free ticket to come after the cannabis industry and its culture that goes back to the day of Reefer Madness."
With that we need to stick to our guns, and fight for what we have done, not saying naming strategy was great, but this is how things worked in the wild west.

I know one thing, we didn't win the cups due to the adhesive following, We won the cup & popularity due to the high THC, yielding of the plant, unique terpen profile, and beauty of this strain...

Something to think about with naming.... Fist off Adhesive company owns the trademark to word gorilla as well, not sure how but they do so just calling it gorilla they would of still done this, in my option... (just learning about this)
We have Two Deltas: Delta Airlines, and Delta Faucets, that work in synergy and allow the same name of Delta, we have the NAME Dove, we have chocolates and soap, no one there is suing anyone... they again live in synergy over a common name, that name helps brand each other but doesn't take away sales from each other.

Hormel out of MN tried to suing an email company after the use of SPAM... they LOST! really that term helped then in re-branding. I know for me personally working in the dot com, technology and digital space for over 15 years I always used the term since I did SEO, "once a spammer always a spammer" I bought shirts with spam on it, and sent it to others in the dot com industry as a funny joke, we bought SPAM kept it on our desk, and sent it to many.. I am a vegetarian SO never did I buy this product cause I liked spam, no its because this term was adopted in the technology industry...
... HOW many cannabis GG4 lovers use adhesive company products now? I did a survey and it was allot...

We asked for reasonable action items to allow us to re-brand and protect the growers, protect our strain and then they barked and got more greedy... So Joesy & Lone, decided to fight for the industry. If they settled, they would of gotten more of a back lash, but if you knew what they wanted y'all would of been even more pissed off at Joesy..

Brief history, With the Oregon renaming of strain names came to our attention we started to really amp up and calling it GG4 with our partners, as we don't want to target to kids. I have 2 of them, and these guys have kids too, so your barking up the wrong tree here.

If you guys want to learn more about GG Strains and what we are about, here is a great podcast to listen too that just launched last week on Cannabis Business Minds
https://liv-consulting.com/ggstrains/

I am sorry for using the F word but sometimes I get sick of hearing people crying and complaining when really all we want is the same thing, equal rights threw out our states, recreational use would be amazing, but at the very least medical cannabis to help many with a chronic condition, so many kids with epilepsy, and vets with PTSD! Allow people the right to heal themselves, and or use it for recreational purposes. SO please let try and work together on this.

I am here to help, not to fight, so please don't go cra cra on me, I won’t answer to those comments. but if YOU want to help us, please feel free and message me here or email me at c7@ ggstrains.com lets pull together on this guys! more minds on this the better! PS you can also DM Joesy

Good insight for you: to the point of settling I think we are way past that, as right now we are submitting a "change of venue" the deposition is showing we have no jurisdiction on Ohio. The Adhesive company is suing us federally in Ohio in their home state a state where we don’t belong. HOW did they do this? they are saying we have jurisdiction in Ohio, but we don't.... we do not have one authorized cultivator in this state, then I thought, I sent 2 t-shirts to Ohio, I looked them up and sure as sh*t, we sent them (after researching the sudo names, and names on google) they are VP of Sales & Co President of adhesive company that bought 2 T shirts off our website and baited us into this jurisdiction and making it a federal lawsuit in the state of Ohio.... They are playing dirty... They also never even started with a ceased n desist with us... went straight to a federal lawsuit.

Hope this helps shed some light on what is really going on.

Thx

Cat

Grizz

Veteran
one thing I would like to add is GGstrains has not won any awards ( cups ) . the great growers here at icmag have won them as well as other growers all over the world,

I agree, but that was not us, that was others... But we agree, if we did stuff like that, yes, but we have not....
Please take a look at our site as our logos and packaging with our cultivators is not a mock of the adhesive company in no way, we do not condone this what so ever.
I stand corrected

Hey guys I want to help clarify something.

We tried to settle and if the cannabis industry knew what the adhesive company wanted to-do after we "settle" you can see why we are not...
Here is a small piece of it, The Adhesive Company will be going after each and every one that sells (dispenses), grows GG4 aka Gorilla Glue 4 after we settle, if you knew this, maybe YOU would understand why we are fighting. We could of said F*ck it and let you guys deal with the aftermath, but these two outlaws wanted to fight for you, the "cannabis" industry. Reading comments all day everyday (part of what I get to-do) I wonder why sometimes, it seems no one is ever happy, some will go out of their way to slam no matter what the situation is... but these 2 guys have a passion for what they do, and won’t allow Corp America to have a tantrum so we cave in. If this happens, it will only dig us dipper into the eyes of what "Corp American" thinks of cannabis users.

We are not fighting cause this its fun, think we are bigger and better then corp America, or we want to go broke, we are doing this, as these 2 guys Joesy & Lone woke up and said "oh f*ck, if we settle, what will happen? what will happen to other strain names will this follow suite, will this open up many, many more lawsuits, for strain creators, growers, and dispensaries, this would set Precedence to allow Corporate America a free ticket to come after the cannabis industry and its culture that goes back to the day of Reefer Madness."
With that we need to stick to our guns, and fight for what we have done, not saying naming strategy was great, but this is how things worked in the wild west.

I know one thing, we didn't win the cups due to the adhesive following, We won the cup & popularity due to the high THC, yielding of the plant, unique terpen profile, and beauty of this strain...

Something to think about with naming.... Fist off Adhesive company owns the trademark to word gorilla as well, not sure how but they do so just calling it gorilla they would of still done this, in my option... (just learning about this)
We have Two Deltas: Delta Airlines, and Delta Faucets, that work in synergy and allow the same name of Delta, we have the NAME Dove, we have chocolates and soap, no one there is suing anyone... they again live in synergy over a common name, that name helps brand each other but doesn't take away sales from each other.

Hormel out of MN tried to suing an email company after the use of SPAM... they LOST! really that term helped then in re-branding. I know for me personally working in the dot com, technology and digital space for over 15 years I always used the term since I did SEO, "once a spammer always a spammer" I bought shirts with spam on it, and sent it to others in the dot com industry as a funny joke, we bought SPAM kept it on our desk, and sent it to many.. I am a vegetarian SO never did I buy this product cause I liked spam, no its because this term was adopted in the technology industry...
... HOW many cannabis GG4 lovers use adhesive company products now? I did a survey and it was allot...

We asked for reasonable action items to allow us to re-brand and protect the growers, protect our strain and then they barked and got more greedy... So Joesy & Lone, decided to fight for the industry. If they settled, they would of gotten more of a back lash, but if you knew what they wanted y'all would of been even more pissed off at Joesy..

Brief history, With the Oregon renaming of strain names came to our attention we started to really amp up and calling it GG4 with our partners, as we don't want to target to kids. I have 2 of them, and these guys have kids too, so your barking up the wrong tree here.

If you guys want to learn more about GG Strains and what we are about, here is a great podcast to listen too that just launched last week on Cannabis Business Minds
https://liv-consulting.com/ggstrains/

I am sorry for using the F word but sometimes I get sick of hearing people crying and complaining when really all we want is the same thing, equal rights threw out our states, recreational use would be amazing, but at the very least medical cannabis to help many with a chronic condition, so many kids with epilepsy, and vets with PTSD! Allow people the right to heal themselves, and or use it for recreational purposes. SO please let try and work together on this.

I am here to help, not to fight, so please don't go cra cra on me, I won’t answer to those comments. but if YOU want to help us, please feel free and message me here or email me at c7@ ggstrains.com lets pull together on this guys! more minds on this the better! PS you can also DM Joesy

Good insight for you: to the point of settling I think we are way past that, as right now we are submitting a "change of venue" the deposition is showing we have no jurisdiction on Ohio. The Adhesive company is suing us federally in Ohio in their home state a state where we don’t belong. HOW did they do this? they are saying we have jurisdiction in Ohio, but we don't.... we do not have one authorized cultivator in this state, then I thought, I sent 2 t-shirts to Ohio, I looked them up and sure as sh*t, we sent them (after researching the sudo names, and names on google) they are VP of Sales & Co President of adhesive company that bought 2 T shirts off our website and baited us into this jurisdiction and making it a federal lawsuit in the state of Ohio.... They are playing dirty... They also never even started with a ceased n desist with us... went straight to a federal lawsuit.

Hope this helps shed some light on what is really going on.

Thx

Cat

This is a major corporation and they have a solid law firm and really good attorneys. Since you are beyond settling I really think you should go for a mediation. No reason to take it to court if you don't have to.
I am going through legal troubles myself (totally unrelated) and in my attorneys office he was a statue of Abraham Lincoln.
The statue is unique however, he doesn't have a beard and he is in a toga. We asked what the statue was and he explained it was Lincoln (but unique as I stated) - he told use "People used to ask Abraham about legal advice. He would tell them: always try to settle, a settlement will always work out better for both parties. If you can not settle, then be honest in court." - I can't remember word for word what he said so that was paraphrased. I had to pass that advice down to you. If you can not settle I really feel you should at least attempt a mediation. If it goes to court, be honest.

I am just afraid because their name is a registered trademark, and quite frankly a judge will almost immediately agree that you used their name. I am just being brutally honest. It even hurts to say - gg4 is one of my favorite strains of all time. The first time I tried it it blew me away! Almost too strong for me.

If it goes to court I wish you the best, and I hope you have enough evidence to present your case.
I just think it is always better to make agreements before taking it to court - because a judgement is final - and I fear for the worst.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
that is a broken link.
Error code: SSL_ERROR_NO_CYPHER_OVERLAP

The website is shared, perhaps. Gathering data for the
push after the decision, lol

If I were in charge, I would dump the website now to protect
potential data mining by the bad guys, icmag is hosted overseas,
so little to be concerned about on this site, but I don't know the
server location of ggstrains,com.

I noticed JW has deleted several posts in this thread.

christ.

Here's a copy/paste, without permission:

Multinational Adhesive Corporation vs Internationally Acclaimed Cannabis Genetic Company

We are so excited to have had the opportunity to interview the creators of the famed Gorilla Glue #4 genetics, Josey Whales and Lone Wati, and the head of marketing at GG Strains, Cat Seven! Let’s start with the basics: Gorilla Glue Adhesive Corporation is suing GG Strains, the creators of Gorilla Glue #4, #5 and #1, in Federal Court in Cincinnati Ohio for Dilution, Trademark infringement, Cyber Squatting and 2 other counts of trademark infringement.
To be honest, we weren’t very surprised to hear of such a lawsuit. On the face of it, why would someone name their strain after a federally trademarked product? However, I WAS surprised to learn that it is by no means unheard of. For instance, Dove Chocolate and Dove Soap, or Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets. They coexist, because they are not competing in the same industry. What makes this instance any different?
What we talk about:
1. Where was Gorilla Glue #4 conceived
2. How to know if the GG4 you purchased is actually GG4(Hint – it’s about what state you purchased in)
3. Why growers should seriously consider trademarking their genetics
4. What the outcome of this lawsuit could mean for the industry
5. Who is behind GG Strains, and what are their motivations
Key Takeaways:
• There are many reasons for trademarking a products name. For instance, a trademark makes it easier to maintain the integrity of a product. You can’t call something a trademarked name if it is NOT the actual product. Considering the absolute lack of regulations when it comes to what dispensaries call their strains, cultivators must protect their genetics in whatever way possible.
• GG Strains won the WORLD CUP for best strain. We knew it was popular, but damn that’s an amazing accomplishment!
• GG Strains has had a trademark for Gorilla Glue #4 in states that it is sold in since 2015
• Gorilla Glue Adhesive (or GGA) has no market share to lose over Gorilla Glue #4 (GG4). They are entirely different types of products. GGA has much more to GAIN in publicity with the considerable amount of popularity of GG4. They aren’t losing any customers from the affiliation. If anything, they have probably gained more customers!

A little about us....
Let’s start with, Josey Whales and Lone Watie. They are both very experienced in all aspects of medical cannabis cultivation, and breeding of marijuana in general! Over the years, these two outlaws developed several cannabis strains. Most notably, they are the original breeders of the #GG4 aka *Gorilla Glue #4!
*This site is in no way related to or reflective of the Gorilla Glue Company. We do NOT sell, manufacture or market glue or adhesive products. GG Strains is strictly in the cannabis industry, to help guide our medical patients, and recreational consumers.

Copyright GG Strains LLC 2017
*This site is in no way related to or reflective of the Gorilla Glue Company.
We do NOT sell, manufacture or market glue or adhesive products.
GG Strains is strictly in the cannabis industry, to help guide our medical patients, and recreational consumers.

The website is shared, perhaps. Gathering data for the
push after the decision, lol

If I were in charge, I would dump the website now to protect
potential data mining by the bad guys, icmag is hosted overseas,
so little to be concerned about on this site, but I don't know the
server location of ggstrains,com.

I noticed JW has deleted several posts in this thread.

christ.

Here's a copy/paste, without permission:

Multinational Adhesive Corporation vs Internationally Acclaimed Cannabis Genetic Company

We are so excited to have had the opportunity to interview the creators of the famed Gorilla Glue #4 genetics, Josey Whales and Lone Wati, and the head of marketing at GG Strains, Cat Seven! Let’s start with the basics: Gorilla Glue Adhesive Corporation is suing GG Strains, the creators of Gorilla Glue #4, #5 and #1, in Federal Court in Cincinnati Ohio for Dilution, Trademark infringement, Cyber Squatting and 2 other counts of trademark infringement.
To be honest, we weren’t very surprised to hear of such a lawsuit. On the face of it, why would someone name their strain after a federally trademarked product? However, I WAS surprised to learn that it is by no means unheard of. For instance, Dove Chocolate and Dove Soap, or Delta Airlines and Delta Faucets. They coexist, because they are not competing in the same industry. What makes this instance any different?
What we talk about:
1. Where was Gorilla Glue #4 conceived
2. How to know if the GG4 you purchased is actually GG4(Hint – it’s about what state you purchased in)
3. Why growers should seriously consider trademarking their genetics
4. What the outcome of this lawsuit could mean for the industry
5. Who is behind GG Strains, and what are their motivations
Key Takeaways:
• There are many reasons for trademarking a products name. For instance, a trademark makes it easier to maintain the integrity of a product. You can’t call something a trademarked name if it is NOT the actual product. Considering the absolute lack of regulations when it comes to what dispensaries call their strains, cultivators must protect their genetics in whatever way possible.
• GG Strains won the WORLD CUP for best strain. We knew it was popular, but damn that’s an amazing accomplishment!
• GG Strains has had a trademark for Gorilla Glue #4 in states that it is sold in since 2015
• Gorilla Glue Adhesive (or GGA) has no market share to lose over Gorilla Glue #4 (GG4). They are entirely different types of products. GGA has much more to GAIN in publicity with the considerable amount of popularity of GG4. They aren’t losing any customers from the affiliation. If anything, they have probably gained more customers!

A little about us....
Let’s start with, Josey Whales and Lone Watie. They are both very experienced in all aspects of medical cannabis cultivation, and breeding of marijuana in general! Over the years, these two outlaws developed several cannabis strains. Most notably, they are the original breeders of the #GG4 aka *Gorilla Glue #4!
*This site is in no way related to or reflective of the Gorilla Glue Company. We do NOT sell, manufacture or market glue or adhesive products. GG Strains is strictly in the cannabis industry, to help guide our medical patients, and recreational consumers.

Copyright GG Strains LLC 2017
*This site is in no way related to or reflective of the Gorilla Glue Company.
We do NOT sell, manufacture or market glue or adhesive products.
GG Strains is strictly in the cannabis industry, to help guide our medical patients, and recreational consumers.

ahh okay thanks for sharing - I don't want cannabis strain names to be trademarked I think that would be bad for the industry, just my opinion though.

TnTLabs

Hi,
my comments might not at first seem like constructive criticism, but please take a minute to think about them before marking them as useless, because in the end im just trying to be constructive here.
Im not a hater, no! im a unbiased observer

before i continue i would like to have confirmed that GG#4 was originally Gorilla Glue #4, then got renamed after some time/years?
If this is so, then here already lies the big problem! Even if you have renamed the strain now, the fact that i was first called Gorilla Glue gives them the upper hand.
There are no excuses, no buts and if.. if these are facts they cant be altered.
People still kept on calling it Gorilla Glue and that is what still sticks in peoples head!

1. i wouldnt be posting much information about the lawsuit etc on forums etc,
in the end its non of our business and could backfire on you!

2. If one still wants to inform people and wants be taken serious by non - cannabis fanatics, i would invest the time and effort in writing posts and information in a more formal manner! i also see form mistakes, unappropriate words etc.. this makes it unprofessional and just gives the impression you are a bunch of stoners! (apologies for my english, i am a native speaker but emigrated many years ago)

3. i know its too late now, but in future invest time in researching names that one wants to use for ones creations before hand. Things like this could have been avoided!
I dont know for a fact, but i get the impression the name was intentionally chosen, you guys arent kids, the contrary, you should have known better!

4. i dont live in the us so i have limited knowledge and insight into the industry there, but sure i get the impression its a big industry and major corporations want in.
Still why the need for trademarking strains? ok, i understand GG#4 has become so big and the creators dont want to sit back and watch other people making big profits from their work, but i initially had the impression when i got to know of GG#4, the strain was like open source, everyone was supposed to have access to it and it was supposed to be shared.. if it is still so, then there is no need to trademark the strain.. or even a patent from what i heard.. this is coming across like monsanto, very unsympathetic if i may say so, sorry if it is wrong, please tell me otherwise..

5. considering what i have said, i would take a step back and come to realize that
this whole issue is getting out of hand and there is not much point in fighting a already lost battle!
I can totally understand the motivations and the blood sweat and tears JW and crew have put into this, one doesnt want to feel defeated etc, BUT at the end of the day you are accountable for your own decisions and actions! You made a mistake and now you are having to pay for it..
question is how long do you want to pay for it...

best of luck in deciding what is best for you & your familys

ohh and what is the world cup of cannabis??
:)

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Hindsight is 20/20 dude.

And they are not fighting for the name, they are fighting off unjust attackers, and what the Corp clowns want to do to cannabis growers.

Respect to Joesy and Co.! Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Gotta fight back, and I respect the hell outta the fact they are doing that.

TnTLabs

i think you are mixing up 2 completely separate things here.

fighting against big corporations and standing up for ones rights for unjustified infringements etc, im all for that, dont get me wrong.. society as we know it is faulty and needs a desperate makeover.. we are on the same side...

What i am pointing out though is that they brought it upon them selves for choosing the wrong name! That is a fact and so the other side is now trying to make them bleed by the looks of things... is that fair no, of course not and shame on them for trying...
But reality is they will most probably get away with it as its their right to sue now...

mdgg4

Fuck that company, I will call this strain Gorilla Glue til day I die. The company should be happy me and Josey choose that name. The only thing Gorilla Glue company had that people still bought including me was their tape, nobody fucks with that messy assed glue. That shit will get all over place and damn near impossible to get off skin when dry. We actually put the company back on the map by making the name relevant again. I never wanted my name on any kind of paperwork involving this and you can see why. But I will still call it by the name choosing back in 2011 while me and Josey brain stormed a name sitting in my garage where it all began. I wanted to call it epoxy but looking at a roll of tape Josey said glue and it stuck. Maybe the people at GorillaGlue company need to stop sniffing their product and start smoking ours, welcome to the Glue Revolution Fuckers! Try and stop it!

PEACE!

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hindsight is 20/20 dude.

And they are not fighting for the name, they are fighting off unjust attackers, and what the Corp clowns want to do to cannabis growers.

Respect to Joesy and Co.! Better to die on your feet than live on your knees. Gotta fight back, and I respect the hell outta the fact they are doing that.

Exactly.

A breeder not knowing the Cannabis Cup??? Wha????!!!
High Times Cannabis Cup is the world’s foremost cannabis festival.

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
i think you are mixing up 2 completely separate things here.

fighting against big corporations and standing up for ones rights for unjustified infringements etc, im all for that, dont get me wrong.. society as we know it is faulty and needs a desperate makeover.. we are on the same side...

What i am pointing out though is that they brought it upon them selves for choosing the wrong name! That is a fact and so the other side is now trying to make them bleed by the looks of things... is that fair no, of course not and shame on them for trying...
But reality is they will most probably get away with it as its their right to sue now...

There are things that you need to consider:

When the name was chosen, it was chosen for the cultivar of a plant that was illegal. This lawsuit became relevant only after some states legalized, therefore, trademark law doesn't apply, specially since the cultivar was shared freely and thus producing no profit to the guys that named it, and that's a fact.

After state legalization, the guys that named this specific plant cultivar, realized on their own that in order to market the flowers of said cultivar, that they had to change the name, which they did. Another fact.

So in truth, there never was any trademark infrigement, since as already proven, when the original name was used, trademark laws were non-applicable.

:joint:

TnTLabs

Exactly.

A breeder not knowing the Cannabis Cup??? Wha????!!!
High Times Cannabis Cup is the world’s foremost cannabis festival.

is a breeder who is occupied with breeding, and not one who is following the news on who is hot and has won one of the many many different cups out there in the world....
I know High Times, but never really read nore followed them, it was or is a magazine, so they rely on ads....
sorry for being so ignorant... not!

TnTLabs

There are things that you need to consider:

:joint:

thanks for clarification, i was unaware of this information, but thats why i asked...
why do trademark laws not apply in this case cause they still used the name, doesnt matter if the plant was illegal or not?!
They still used a trademarked name, even if it was for non profit... still infringement? im no lawyer, but if it were so simple then there wouldnt be such a fuss about it..

bombadil.360

Andinismo Hierbatero
Veteran
thanks for clarification, i was unaware of this information, but thats why i asked...
why do trademark laws not apply in this case cause they still used the name, doesnt matter if the plant was illegal or not?!
They still used a trademarked name, even if it was for non profit... still infringement? im no lawyer, but if it were so simple then there wouldnt be such a fuss about it..

How can you infringe on trademark laws when you are not profiting from said perceived infringement? If that were the case, every time you and I use a trademarked word for whatever reason, we'd all be liable all the time.

Moreover, how can you take someone to a court of law over perceived trademark infrigement when the use of the trademark is in regards something that cannot even be legally marketed?

Fact is, the adhesive guys thought they saw an opportunity to make easy money here after state legalization, but if the growers in question have a smart lawyer, this law suit will get thrown out: I'd also ask the judge to have adhesive dudes pay for the legal defense fees, compensation for trying to abuse trademark laws and for slander.

Latest posts

Latest posts