What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Simple tips to grow excellent cannabis

Cleanliness. I think that's number 1 for me.

Running bleach or H202 24/7 in a hydro reservoir is huge for me too.

Genetics. I don't care what anyone says about their nutes or lights or whatever. If you don't have the genetics then you don't have squat.

That's not true.

The last part about genetics.

and bleach? for real? damn, things dun change

how was grew, date of harvest, CURE... etc.

These things can make a very big difference, genetics is not everything.

Last edited:

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Genetics are a key element ... but NOT the only factor in a great harvest !!! my kid grows the same genetics that i do cuz i give him clones . this last round of his was like a bail of hay compared to my harvests . I'm trying to teach him but he's stubborn & would rather listen to his commercial grow buddies . but after this last harvest of his ..... he's finally coming to me for advice . so its NOT just genetics my friend !!!

I didn't read through the entirety of this thread so I don't know whats been covered, but here are a few things I've found helpful in my short time growing (going on 3 years):

-Temperature control is key... Other than bugs when I was just starting, high temperatures have been the biggest quality killer I've seen. Its impossible to repair heat damaged plants.

-When it comes to nutrients, less is more. I'm still amazed at how much healthier my plants started to look after cutting my Floranova feeding from 2tsp/gal to 1/gal. Decided to try on a whim and couldn't believe how much they benefit from this small change.

-NEVER over-water... Pythium will teach you the hard way if you don't believe this.

budman678

I come from the land where the oceans freeze
Veteran
you cant grow chron with shit seed....you can grow shit with chron seed...

i would rather start with the best beans from a trusted breeder...and my skillz will make the product top shelf

soserthc1

Bump; cool thread idea

Minus the back and fort bs

Add a 325 mg aspirin to every gal of h20
Clean everything all the time
Foliage feeding and pest management every 4to7 days
Azromite and ogbiowar a must for me

guruverde

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone in this thread. I have finished a couple of rounds in coco keeping it super simple and I definitely see some practices I could implement slowly to see how my girls respond.

Thank you everyone for your experience and taking the time to share it.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
When I raced stock cars I ran junk for the first couple years until I started consistently showing in the top five and occasionally winning.
Then I got into quality equipment. Sure enough, I was able to utilize the features in ways I could not have imagined without the years of being forced to use every skill I had at maximum just to keep up.

The first six years of growing a marijuana garden were spent dialing in four different strains of bagseed. Two more strains of bagseed were carefully chosen and grown for another six years.
All six strains of bagseed eventually ended up being competitive with with any available commercial strain.

It has been about ten months since I changed to storebought seeds. These are harder to dial in as each plant is an individual with unique needs rather than an identical to the previous plant.
Still, a single strain has the vast majority of conditions necessary for excellent growth similar enough for dialing in.

First harvest averaged less than five ounces per plant and smoke was OK. The current harvest is eight ounces and the smoke quality is excellent to tremendous.
Same plant as ten months ago, but dialed in much better now.

In a six plant perpetual every fourth or fifth plant is not the main line, always checking out recommended strains.

I also check out additives every now and then. Most do nothing to improve the plant. I am in the third harvest with .39% Fulvic acid added at five ml per four gallons. This is the amber liquid, the black Humic acid got six harvests and is no longer used. The darker Humic acid seems geared toward microbial activity in the root zone and I run mostly sterile roots so it did not help.

I envy organic gardeners and their products. I cannot handle the large numbers of variables that must be balanced so I went with synthetic nutrient. My loss.

810FireFarm

Genetics obviously play a big role in the "Maximum potential" of a strain, but a very well dialed in bagseed can outperform a poorly grown elite clone....

but the elite genetic seed has the potential to surpass the others....not by any guarantee that it will...simply that the genes are present that it could in right conditions.

DenverJim

pay attention to everything. Some things may not be important but how does one know what is important unless watching it. Learning how to clone is important. I was terrible so starting last spring I just did it until experience is where it is at. I don't believe what I read I test it first. I used to put small flowering plants outside in winter. First for short periods they will adjust. At night it was below freezing. learned that pot is not like tomatoes it is a hardy annual. Colorado is different in that the temp changes from day to night are 20 degrees in spring and fall it can be more. I am planting out in the dirt right now. Mostly my seeds. purchased seeds are started in pots. Rabbits will eat them till they get a few sets of leaves. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM IS THE RIPPERS. Never to old to learn.

Latest posts

Latest posts