What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Absolute Amber from Banana Silver Ladyboys

jump117

Veteran
Amber chips made from crispy dry 3 mnth cured mostly indica hybrids.

picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Hey Jump,
Do you think that allowing the butune to "boil" while it's mixing with the herb, changes anything chemically, in relation to the THCA?
Here, in California, our temps are sometimes 78-80F and the butane is sometimes evaporating as it's mixing with the herb.
Also, what do you think allows THC to turn back to a crystalized state with age and oxygen? I have noticed after months, it tends to do this.
Do you think there is a component to butane purging, that necessitates it being done all under a certain degree of temps in order to keep THCA from converting to THC in the purge process?
I appreciate it. Thanks.

jump117

Veteran
:thank you:
Hey Jump,
Do you think that allowing the butune to "boil" while it's mixing with the herb, changes anything chemically, in relation to the THCA?
Here, in California, our temps are sometimes 78-80F and the butane is sometimes evaporating as it's mixing with the herb.
Also, what do you think allows THC to turn back to a crystalized state with age and oxygen? I have noticed after months, it tends to do this.
Do you think there is a component to butane purging, that necessitates it being done all under a certain degree of temps in order to keep THCA from converting to THC in the purge process?
I appreciate it. Thanks.

I do not think boiling butane can affect THСA/THC ratio,
Chemical composition of butane is not changed by boiling,
In a gaseous state it is no longer involved in the extraction and does not benefit as a solvent
Except for the extraction efficiency of mixing caused by the motion of bubbles.

I have always freeze loaded extractor and the butane can before extraction
In order to minimize the rapid evaporation of butane at the beginning of the process
And avoid accidental ejection of the staff and evaporation losses.

In the process of evaporation, collection and give amber a convenient form
It is melted several times at about 70°C (158°F) and returns to brittle at room temp.
imo its hard brittle texture indicates a high content of THСA, which may crystallize.
That means decarboxylation didn’t happened.

I regularly observe the change in consistency after decarboxylation.
When smoking at home, I use digital soldering iron with an open ceramic heater.
Sometimes happens that a shard of brittle amber does not have time to evaporate,
It melts, wraps around the heater and drips on the bottom glass plate.
Fragility never returns to this drop,
It is sticky forever because of the decrease in the THСA/THC ratio
after decarboxylation from THCA to THC, which may not crystallize.

I do not know whether decarboxylation is reversible or not
and whether this process occurs during crystallization, which you describe.
Many times I read the description of crystallization by the type of honey sugaring,
waxing, formation of spongy porous surface, I never saw such changes, is it autobuddering?
Is it what you asked?
Crystallization or offgasing of residual butane and/or/? terpens, sorry I don't know.

dope_roor

In order to minimize the rapid evaporation of butane at the beginning of the process

I like to do the same when extracting with the goal of maximum quality :dance013:

I do not know whether decarboxylation is reversible and whether this process occurs
during crystallization, which you describe.

carboxylation would be the reverse reaction to decarboxylation, addition of CO2 group, however that would never occur to our oils under the conditions we subject them to

Many times I read the description of crystallization by the type of honey sugaring,
waxing, formation of spongy porous surface, I never saw such changes, is it autobuddering?
Is it what you asked?
Crystallization or offgasing of residual butane and/or/? terpens, sorry I don't know.

im still trying to figure this one out too. to me, buddering seems to be related to presence of non-THC lipid compounds and how much physical manipulation was performed to the oil (which i believe overall reduces the presence of certain compounds and ultimately increases the lipid:thc ratio), those that seem to budder even with minimal handling may have already have a high lipid:thc ratio due to genetics.

getting the crystallized state seems to require very low heat applied, minimal handling of both the starting material (keeping the plant cell walls intact to minimize leeching thus increasing the lipid:thc ratio on the THC end, in short, nugs not grinding), and final material (no whipping).

all of which support your hypothesis about ratio of THC, which I think is proven by your EtOH washes, as EtOH displays less selectivity than Butane to those non psychoactive lipid compounds thus guaranteeing a final product a very low lipid:thc ratio i.e. shatter/crystal

i do observe the presence of many tiny porous bubbles when i produce budder, i find the extract smoother and more flavorful at this stage but with reduced potency and less numbing lung expansion. i believe this is due to some of the more volatile terpenes that are lost during buddering and better preserved in a crystallized state

IMG_3029Small.jpg

IMG_2845.jpg

IMG_2799.jpg

jump117

Veteran
Hey dope_roor! Thanks for sharing and Sorry that you remove pictures, where can I see that porous sample again?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:thank you:

I do not think boiling butane can affect THСA/THC ratio,
Chemical composition of butane is not changed by boiling,
In a gaseous state it is no longer involved in the extraction and does not benefit as a solvent
Except for the extraction efficiency of mixing caused by the motion of bubbles.

In the process of evaporation, collection and give amber a convenient form
It is melted several times at about 70°C (158°F) and returns to brittle at room temp.
imo its hard brittle texture indicates a high content of THСA, which may crystallize.
That means decarboxylation didn’t happened.

I regularly observe the change in consistency after decarboxylation.
When smoking at home, I use digital soldering iron with an open ceramic heater.
Sometimes happens that a shard of brittle amber does not have time to evaporate,
It melts, wraps around the heater and drips on the bottom glass plate.
Fragility never returns to this drop,
It is sticky forever because of the decrease in the THСA/THC ratio
after decarboxylation from THCA to THC, which may not crystallize.

I do not know whether decarboxylation is reversible or not
and whether this process occurs during crystallization, which you describe.
Is it what you asked?

My own experience parallels Jumps and I don't know for sure what is going on either.

As he notes, THCA is much stiffer than THC decarboxylized and it is a much lighter color.

I have never experienced the Swiss cheeze phenomenom, so I will play around and see what happens. The auto buddering that I have observed, has looked different, but was not left undisturbed to form Swiss cheese.

My tongue in cheek thoughts regarding the phenomenom, is that decarboxylation involves giving up C02, which is most likely what makes the bubbles.

My reading research describes such a autobuddering phenomenom, if the oil is placed in a food dessicator. I will start expermenting there.

Trichgnomes

Jump-

I cannot remember if this has been discussed, but it has been on my mind as of late.

Do the absolutes that you produce possess as pungent of a flavor profile as the concrete oleoresin (BHO)?

I am curious if any volatile terpenes are lost at all in the process. I am not theorizing towards one way or the other, but am quite curious to know the subjective opinions of those that have performed this process.

All of the alcohol washes I have performed have not been nearly as flavorful as butane extractions. The flavors are often described as hashy or some other generic descriptor, whereas butane extracts always taste more or less exactly as the flowers smelled.

If only photos could convey aroma/fragrance...this one looks delicious.:)
picture.php

jump117

Veteran
Hey Trichgnomes,

The strongest smell exudes fresh butane extract,
even without any additional impact the intensity of the smell quickly weakened,
or the sense of smell quickly adapts to it, not sure.

Dissolution of the primary extract in ethanol does not alter the picture of smells.
But the evaporation of ethanol on a steam bath is clearly weakens the richness of the bouquet.
When evaporation occurs without heating, the extract is a more flavorful, but with hints of the smell of ethanol.
Note that ethanol does not smell as disgusting as isopropyl.

I'm talking about the loss of a very volatile and delicate flavor component, akin to those that ooze fresh flowers.
Resinous aroma of hashish is preserved and smoking can not be called tasteless or flat.

I can not boast of a remarkable sense of smell and in my opinion, the aromas of smoke ambers of different species differ little,
some of the varietal nuances, such as Hazes, easily distinguished after the evaporation of heated.

They say vacuum evaporation will provide complete smell preservation,
although for the purging of solid shatter amber still have to melt to ensure the mobility of bubbles in its thickness.

Amber in the solid state does not smell.

daheadies

poppin' outta control
The last time I tried making AA, I tried soaking the herb in butane instead of running butane through the herb.. I wound up losing pretty much all the butane b/c it evaporated by the time I tried pouring it out.. Any recommendations for this? I see you spray the butane into a small hole into the thermos. Doesnt pressure build up like crazy? Then how do you keep the pressure in, which might keep the butane from evaping so quickly?
-Since that time that the butane evaped before I could pour it out (and I did put the bowl that the weed and butane in the freezer while it was soaking, and had pre cooled the butane, not the bowl..) but any ways, since then, I have resorted to the whipping method for budder and earwax. Have that down to perfection, but still just a tiny bit less potent and clean than the amber..

-The chip is a beautiful thing, along w/ all your other amber.
I hope I wind up getting it!

Edit
-The chip is a beautiful thing, along w/ all your other amber.
I hope I wind up getting it![/quote]

It may seem that pressure is high, but in fact, it's not that powerful, overall. I would put 3 1/2 cans into a 2 liter coke bottle and had no problems for years. Same thing as the thermos, practically.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The last time I tried making AA, I tried soaking the herb in butane instead of running butane through the herb.. I wound up losing pretty much all the butane b/c it evaporated by the time I tried pouring it out.. Any recommendations for this?

Butane boils at ~30F. If you keep the material and equipment below that temperature, the butane stays liquid.........

daheadies

poppin' outta control
thanks guys between the 2 of you I got both my questions answered.. Ill have to do it next time its snowing or something and see what happens.. I was going to go and buy a thermos but I might have to try the 2 liter bottle thing that sounds pretty easy..

Latest posts

Latest posts