What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tomato growers?

Midnight

Veteran
Great lokking fruit! Sadly my tomato plants (20 of em) were severely hit by psyllids and Tomato Russet Mites. Plants looked really nice and lush to about six feet, then whammo! By the time you see the signs its too late. Im really bummed about this years newest plague to the garden. Next year ill be ready for the little bastards!
Hey Midnight, Moreton is a favorite of mine, and its sister Ramapo. How come you picked it so green?

I've grown the Ramapo several times and It's really good. I picked this one early because the plant it is on has a squirrel that visits nightly for his dinner. I wanted to get it before the damn varmints did! Sorry to hear about the mites and pysllids, better luck next year! And on a side note, I still have that tomato in the pic, it's red now and lost a little weight, it ways 500 grams now.

G

guest5703

Love tomatoes! Love growing them even more! Really got into it this year compared to the previous years...Our favorite this year so far was Mr. Stripey and Plum tomatoes. The Mr. Stripeys were super juicy and tasty, not a lot of meat but more juice which I love!

Randoms from home depot

picture.php

This is my little buddy, not so little anymore! I found a lot of tomato seedlings sprouted in my soil(no clue where seeds came from, there were at least 10-15 seedlings in a few different pots, I think they came from the bags of soil!) So from these seedlings I managed to save two that were "double stalked", just growing together. Transplanted into a small pot, and they grew great. Transplanted into a 3 gallon when signs of flowering occurred, and have been feeding her Tiger Bloom and PHing the water. She is loving life!!! I read somewhere tomatoes like to be watered once a week, but I have to water this one daily and she seems to love it!

picture.php

From bottom up...Big fruits, mediums, and just starting out on the flowers! This plant is loaded!

picture.php

picture.php

And check this out, probably common but I've never seen the vine with tomatoes grow out a leaf from the end....Signs of a healthy plant???

picture.php

I had white Ox Hearts from a farmers market last year, don't remember how good they were but I saved some seeds(apparently thinking they were worth saving) and now I've got 3 large Ox Hearts looking dank! They are super healthy and just now starting to flower(had them indoors for a couple weeks under a 600HPS!) The fan leaf arms are bigger than any tomato I've ever seen! Can't wait for these bitches to start putting out fruit, they are in FF ocean forest soil and I've only watered them twice since transplant two weeks ago(they had 2 weeks under HPS, now outside two weeks)

picture.php

Arm as long as my own arm!

picture.php

And the last type of tomato I've got is plums, they are fucking dank! I grab about 5 a day off her and just pop em in my mouth, bursts with glorious flavor! Great in salads!!! Just keeps on producing and producing!

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:thank you::ying:

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Wow! Great mater pics in this thread!

I'm pumped to get out there and get busy!

Great job everyone,

Very inspirational.

Thanks for posting.

Dr_Tre

Buffalo heart (or maybe ox heart, not sure in translation) from Bulgaria - lots of acid, lots of sugar, very smooth in the mouth.:yummy:

DARC MIND

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

mexico
picture.php

yellow brandywhine
picture.php

carbon
picture.php

orange russians
picture.php

carbon and orange russian
picture.php

speckled roman
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

tip on growing beautiful productive pounders
plant from seed,dont till,diversify,organic matter & collect offspring frm selected perfromers for better results the following year

woolybear

Veteran
420giveaway
love the tomato shots. i have found tomato plants grow fantastic in coco. juicy juicy toms!

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
I found this interesting, but in my limited understanding I read this as forgetting a dark period and using RL from imbibition through sprout, or am I off base? (There is no link to either an abstract or a full text page. So, I thought a link to a page with a link to download the pdf file would be a bit less of an adrenaline rush than an automatic download! About 3/4 way down under "Short Communication" section.)

The dark germination of some varieties of
tomato seeds is phytochrome controlled (3,4). At
temperatures below 25C germination can be inhibited
by a single short exposure to low energy far red
(FR) radiation, and repromoted by red (R) applied
immediately after FR (3,4). The fraction
of phytochrome present as PFR in the dark germinating
seeds of tomato variety Ace was found to
be about 40 % of the total (4). This value was
calculated by *comparison between dosage response
curves for the action of R and FR on germination
and dosage response curves for phytochrome photoconversion
in solution (4). During the course of
our previous work, we had evidence that changes
in temperature, time of imbibition and type of light
treatments would result in 4large changes in the
germination response (3, 4). These facts stimulated
a further study of the relationships between
different treatments and the relative PFR requirement
for the induction of germination.
As in previous work (4), the determination of
the relative PFR levels was based on the comparison
between dosage response curves for the action of
R and FR on germination and dosage response
curves for phytochrome photoconversion in solution.
The technical details are described in a
previous paper (4).
The radiant energy dose required to induce a
given percent germination changes with time of
imbibition, temperature and light treatment (fig 1).
After 24 hours of incubation in darkness at 200 or
under intermittent FR-R, a non-inhibitory light
treatment, the seeds are beyond the point of effective
light control. After 24 hours in darkness at
17.50, light is still effective in controlling germination.
After 24 hours of exposure to different types
of inhibitory light treatments, the (lose of red
radiant energy required to induce germination is
higher than after dark incubation, and the FR dose
required to inhibit germination is lower than after
dark incubation.
Phytochrome and Seed Germination. II. Changes of PFR Requirement for Germination in Tomato Seeds
http://www.plantphysiol.org/content/42/8.toc

Last edited:
G

guest5703

I hope I can get some funky ones next year, I love the black ones! Heres a dark colored Tomato with green insides, I found two sprouts in another tomato pot and transplanted....Now we have the green tomatoes!

picture.php

Rusty420

We're growing some 'Togi'(latah/Irish gardeners delight) f4 from real seed co...:) they are little cherry toms with a nice taste...:)

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
cali..Those are some yummy lookin maters ya got there!

We picked a few tomatoes today!

They went from this....

To this....

To This.....

Have a great day!
Peace

:wave:My first time in this thread and I like what I see! Lookin good growers! I am growin 1 Heirloom variety and another called Mountain Fresh! Both are extremly loaded with fruit! I just started pickin this week. My garden is still boomin!! My tomatos are really late in ripening! I think that I have to much N in the soil! Last couple of years my tomatos were on the dying off by early Sept! Its not a bad problem but it gets cold soon!:freezing:
Your guys harvests Look great!!!

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You want tomatoes in a timely manner in the PNW ... grow "early girls " im picking a laundry basket full of dark red maters about every other day right now . Putting up salsa and tomatoes in jars have done a total of about 5 gallons salsa and just started with putting tomatoes up .. got about 18 quarts so far

Last edited:
T

THE TROOPER

amazing tomatoes people.....i'm so missing mine had weather issues at the begining of the season and nothing i planted except the sweet cherries amonted to anything!
i'm learning a lot for next season so thanks for all the great tips! :tiphat:

TT :ying: