What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

hot sauce junkies

thcbound

I'll never forget the day when I was about 15 years old a "friend" of mine tricked me into eating a fresh habanero he grew in his garden. I remember I kept touching my bottom lip and expecting to see blood on my finger because it felt like it had been split open. The endorphins were raging on that day...lol

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
I am a light weight, but I used to love the hot stuff. Hemmeroids have a very effective way of presenting the argument not to eat it anymore, and not letting me forget. I still use a lot of red pepper though. Great for the sinuses.
H

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
I too am a lover of hot. I've made my own sauces from cayennes, thai chilies, super chilies, and habaneros, some bought, but most grown myself. It's a good thick sauce with BITE and a nice roasted pepper flavour.

My favourite commercial hot sauce has to be jamaican jerk. Nice heat, lovely flavour. Every wing joint oughtta offer this up as an option to that vinegar-based crap they always use...

I have been known to bring my own sauce in a little container, and order my wings plain & dump it on.

Peace

panopticist

Sneak attack critical
Veteran
MoeBudz^420 said:
Every wing joint oughtta offer this up as an option to that vinegar-based crap they always use...
Thank you!

I hate that runny, watery horseshit that passes for 'wing sauce'. Texas Pete is "some of that ole' bullshit'." I want a hot sauce with some substance, dammit!

There are very few foods that I don't put Franks Red Hot on. Great taste without being to vinegary (is that a word?). I've tried hundreds of hot sauces, I keep coming back to Franks.

1G12

FallenBuddha said:
i have a rather extensive hot sauce collection, anchored by daves insanity, ultimate insanity, total insanity. then there is the ass blaster, the ass in the tub, crazy jerrys brain damage, pain is good carribbean, pain is good garlic habanero, pain is good cayenne, scorned woman, F.O.D., nuclear hell, bee sting habanero passionfruit, beesting honey habanero, texas tears, pure cap, b lairs sudden death, blairs after death, blairs instant death, blairs possible side effects, blairs mega death, cholula, deathwish, el yucatero,rasta fire hot hot hot, wet fart, toxic waste extract, psycho bitch mango habanero, and psycho bitch chipotle habanero. just off the top of my head.

peace -fb
Those are some of the funniest names for food items I've ever seen!! LOL
I particularly love "wet fart". hehehe
Perhaps someone should name their product "screamin shit" cuz sometimes that's what happens the next day after ingestion.
I love hot sauce too but stuff like dave's insanity sauces are just sooooooo hot that the burn drowns out the flavor.

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
any of you guys that said you've made your own have any recipes you'd like to share?

I didnt make my own hot suace but I made my own suicide sauce out of hot sauce...

in a mixing bowl I mixed together...

a 5oz bottle of reddevil hot sauce
horse radish
red pepper flakes
diced jalapeno s and a little of the juice
garlic
a little bit of cider vinegar
cajun or blackened seasoning

I didnt give you measurements becuase it is more fun to find out yourself

after that I put in a sauce pan and simmered for about 10 - 15 minutes. Put that over your wings! it's great!

don't forget to take a bong rip!!

Last edited:

OG bub

~Cannabis-Resinous~
ICMag Donor
Veteran
panopticist said:
You should give Sriracha hot sauce a try...

That shit is off the chain and spanks all the other hot sauces until their little bottoms were pink.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sriracha

YES!
I was hoping to see a Sriracha fan er two! I like to call it the Chinese Chicken. Awesome stuff, dont taste like vinegar, just some real good chilli sauce!

MoeBudz^420

Veteran
Okay, I'll share my recipe if anyone's interested. It's quite simple...here goes.

Ingredients: 2 cups whole (type of) peppers (habs recommended)
1/2 big onion
1/2 lime/lemon 's worth of juice (both work)
3 cloves garlic
1 cup white vinegar , heated to almost boiling
1 tsp Black pepper
A blender
A large measuring cup w/pour spout
A metal kitchen strainer
Sterile glass bottles w/caps

Method:1) Remove stems of peppers, larger thick walled type peppers like habs or wax can be halved for roasting, small chilies left whole - leave seeds & pith in. Roast peppers in 400 oven for approx 10-15 mins, or until some browning occurs. Place in blender. 2) Fry the 1/2 onion, add it to blender. 3) Add remaining ingredients to blender, doing the vinegar last, to keep it hot. (mic is good to heat it)

Use blender's highest speed to puree this mix into a mash as fine as you can get it. Then strain it thru the sieve into the measuring cup. This juice is your sauce, the mash remaining in the sieve is chucked out after squeezing the juice out. (we are removing the solids) A teaspoon can be used to push the mash against the sieve to get all the juice.

Once all mash has been strained, bottle the juice in the glass bottles. Tasty and potent, this sauce also keeps very well...keep refrigerated, esp. after opening. Double or triple ingredient list for large batches, the base values should yield about 3-500 ML or so. (rough guess)

Enjoy, fellow chili heads... :rasta:

Edit: (A funnel could come in handy for the pouring into the bottle part - shake before using, it does settle a bit)

Peace

Last edited:

Wait...What?

Veteran
TONS of recipes here:
http://www.pepperfool.com/recipe_home.html

I got into gardening specifically to grow chile peppers. I wanted hot sauce that didn't have any vinegar in it. Unfortunately for me, I learned along the way why the vinegar is there. It is there to get the pH down around 4.0 so you don't get botulism from Tabasco(tm) sauce thats been sitting on a restaurant table in direct sunlight for 6 months.

I've since moved on from sauces to powders and rubs.

Habanero pepper sauce:
12 Habaneros, stems removed, chopped
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup lime juice

Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until soft. Add the carrots with a small amount of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the carrots are soft.
Place the mixture and the chiles in a blender, and puree until smooth.
Combine the puree with the vinegar and lime juice and simmer for 5 minutes to combine the flavors.
Strain into sterilized bottles and seal.

Classic Red Chile Sauce
10 dried New Mexican chiles
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
3 cups water

Arrange the chiles on a baking pan and place in a 200 degree (farenheit) oven for 5 minutes or until the chiles smell like they are toasted. Take care that they do not burn. Remove the stems and seeds.
Sauté the onion and garlic until soft.
Place all the ingredients in a blender with a cup oft he water and puree to make a smooth sauce.
Stir in the additional water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for an hour. The sauce should be smooth and thick.

Chile Powder
1 part dried Cayenne or other red chile such as Piquin or de Arbol
1 part dried ground Pasilla chile or other mild powder such as Ancho
5 parts dried ground red New Mexican chiles
2 parts garlic powder
1 1/2 parts ground cumin
1 1/2 parts ground oregano

Combine all ingredients and mix well.

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
just got 4 new sauces to add to the collection...

texas petes hotter than hot sauce
cystal extar hot
franks red hot (didnt have it in the bottle collection yet...)
amish farms lemon flavored (kinda shitty..but it's okay)

mmmmmmmmmm hot sauce....

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
My best Buffalo Wings.......
these are made with some Frank Original Red Hot Sauce
but it is NOT the recipe you'll find on the back of the bottle.

bongcritter

Nice thread guys...I've been a hot sauce fan for quite some time now but haven't yet stepped up to being the hot sauce connessieur that you all seem to be....

I'll be checking out that Sriarchi??? sauce though!!! Sounds like the best bet....where can I buy this stuff, any grocery store??? Thanks in advance!

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
bongcritter said:
Nice thread guys...I've been a hot sauce fan for quite some time now but haven't yet stepped up to being the hot sauce connessieur that you all seem to be....

I'll be checking out that Sriarchi??? sauce though!!! Sounds like the best bet....where can I buy this stuff, any grocery store??? Thanks in advance!

yup, you can buy it at the grocery store...definately an asian food market. they have packets of it at most quick stop chinese restaurants. I was actually at a pizza shop the other day that had it...put it on my cheeseburger sub. it was great!

dbuzz

Veteran
Stoner4Life said:
My best Buffalo Wings.......
these are made with some Frank Original Red Hot Sauce
but it is NOT the recipe you'll find on the back of the bottle.

those looks goot! i love grilling chicken wings, then making up a hot sauce/butter pan, throw the cooked wings in and shake for a few minutes. the wings go from intact, to deliciously falling apart coated wings.

lately i've been using louisiana hot sauce, on everything. i like it.

definitely have to try some of these foreign sauces soon.

amoS

I like Texas Pete Buffalo Wing Sauce and the late great Justin Wilson's hot sauce...Peace

G

guest123

wow good to see a bunch of chilli fans , i love hot sauces .. even enough to marry a thai woman to make them for me , hehehhehe ..
man thats good stuff , i have a big chilli and tomato garden strictly for making them ,,

ToKEN

Registered Cannabis User
Veteran
got chili peppers, jalapenos, and habaneros planted. anyone else growin any peppers and plannin on makin some hot sauce with them? I hope so, makin your own hot sauce is the way to go.

I'll post my recipes when they're all done.