What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Moonshine still?

D

Don Cotyle

Here's a link where you can make your own still,mashs,etc...all you'll ever need to know

http://homedistiller.org/

Don't forget about heads and tails!!! Heads are the first 200 ml that should be tossed, this contains methonal etc. and is thrown away!!!

Tails is the last 200-400 ml that should be poured back into the next mash, this also contains bad items, but also contains drinkable alcohol that will be partialy distalled off on the next run and will save you finished product.

I run a few batches a year, your finished shine should be in the 194-197 proof range and smooth when done right!!! Enjoy!!!

hey folks!!! bein from the great southland and moonshine capital of the world... from 1920-1950 i figured id step in! although i have a recipe from kentucky i got from a friend.

a 50lb. sack of corn ($6)
a 50lb sack of shredded beet pulp ($4)

both easily available at any feed mill, TSC, southern states... etc.

I use an old bathtub, but anything that holds water will work. mix these together and fill the tub with water. at least 30-40 gallons. add yeast, ( I get the one pound blocks of fresh yeast from a bakery)

let work 8-10 days, depending on temp. just until it stops bubbling. If you want you can add a 25lb bag of sugar at this point, which will mak it super strong. if you add the sugar, you have to wait a few more days, till it stops workin.

you can strain and drink it like this, after it's done working, and it is like 12% alc.
I put it through a homemade still, which is EASY AS SHIT to make. all you need is a pressure cooker, some small pipe, and a big pot you can chill it down in.
Run it through once, its between 45-55% (90-100 proof)
run it through again, and you have authentic kentucky 'shine. anywhere from 75-90% (150-180 proof).

****WARNING: MAKING MOONSHINE IS DANGEROUS!!! IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOUR DOING YOU CAN BLOW YOURSELF UP, GO BLIND, OR EVEN KILL YOURSELF BY DRINKING A BAD BATCH. MOONSHINE OVER 100 PROOF IS AS EXPLOSIVE AS TNT. I AM NOT JOKING. LOTS OF FARM BOYS ARE MISSING LIMBS OR DEAD BECASUE THEY BLEW THEMSELVES TO HELL!****

i peronsally don't even bother to make it. i'm able to find enough around here to feed my need. some families around here have been making moonshine for over 100 yrs. i can buy it by the gallon around here for dirt cheap. send it north and sell it by the shot and you can make some money, even these days.

but if you want to make it there it is. also remember makng moonshine is illegal.

Last edited:
moonshine-diagram.gif

heres some rough instructions on distilling moonshine from the same friend... i stole that image from howstuffworks.com

basically you follow the instructions to brew the shit... or if you don't want to, them just try anything you have homebrewed. if it's got alcohol, it will distill.

you take the pressure cooker and fill it about 3/4 the way full, (try to get as much of the solids out, as they will burn) then seal the lid on and attach the hose ( copper really is safest ) to the thing that you would put the weight on if you were cooking. it's the thing the steam comes out. you turn on the stove and get shit hot.
the milk jug is set up with cold running water going through it. if you want you can fill the jug with ice cubes and water. the point is COLD. the cold condenses the alcohol vapor.
the steam condesses in the tube and flows into the charcoal filter. Don't skip the filter. if you have to you can use a handul of charred wood cinders and some rags, but DO filter it well. Go to wikipedia and check out "fusel alcohol":sick:

the shine runs into the bumjug from the filter and voila... it's good to go.
since water evaporates wit the alcohol, you may wish to do this whole process two or three times, each time using what collects in the bumjug as what you start in the cooker.

OH... and don't boil the pot dry tryin to get the last bit of it out... the corn and shit will burn to the pot. when you think it's gettin low, just shut it off, wait till it cools, open the cooker up and scoop out as much of the solids as you can, then add more "beer" and start again.

Things to google:

amazingstill

ez still

Gert Strand

The amazingstill works great but takes ages and ages.

The ez still is a bit expensive for what it is, a modded water distiller, easy enough to diy.

1) get some silver solder (no cadmium) and with a solding iron block up the 'chlorine trap' which is merely a small hole in the top of the coil. 2) Use a 2A+ variac or voltage controller to reduce the voltage to 65% of mains. 4 litres of 14% wash*, 40 mins full power to get it up to temps, 90 mins run for a bottle of 58%.

Gert Strand is a man whose vocation in life is to help you produce spirit at home. I use his Turbo 24hr yeast*. ok it isn't really 24hr in my kitchen but I can go from sugar to drinking vod in 3 days, that does me.

btw if you post on the distiller forum, never mention plastic, they're a snooty lot, make rabid weed purists look tame.

Last edited:

Stinkymutt

my still

my still

Hello , Figured Id show it it off here . This is a valved reflux still I made from details online . I have only used this one for water so far but that was just to get it figured out. I have a wort fermenting to distill as soon as its done (no hops) and I cheated with a canned extract .
Peace all and happy drinking
Mutt

Last edited:

chef

Gene Mangler
Veteran
Cool, this is on my list of things to do in '09 :)

They have some decent copper rigs on ebay I've been looking at.
I got my wormwood started this year, should have some nice bushes this spring.

I was planning on just cooking down wine into some Grappa like booze to start, bit skiddish on the methanol/ethanol thing until I gain some experience.
Am I correct that cooking down wine is safer for noobs?

I made some ganja bier decades ago too, turned out pretty good.
I just washed down a 1/2 zip in some 100proof vodka & added a tblsp or so to each at bottling.

Cool thread! :)

okwildfire

Stinkymutt said:
Hello , Figured Id show it it off here . This is a valved reflux still I made from details online . I have only used this one for water so far but that was just to get it figured out. I have a wort fermenting to distill as soon as its done (no hops) and I cheated with a canned extract .
Peace all and happy drinking
Mutt

ya should make that thing modular..that way you can build your coil's inside a 5-7 gallon bucket..that way ya can run cold water, or some water and ice..you wont believe it,,,but it's night and day...just make your coil's about 10"...that way it has a lil room..from the wall of the bucket..pm 4 recipe's...or help building it..it's simple. :joint:

Grendelkhan

I have been checking out stills for the last 3 years. The whole history of the stills and the people that used them really intrigues me. It reminds me alot of what is going on with the whole cannabis thing. In fact many of the old moonshiners have move into the cannabis thing or at least I have heard that. I got a link to this site that makes some very nice copper stills www.coppermoonshinestills.com not the cheapest but damm fine to look at! Keep up this thread and remeber to live free!
GKhan.

TheHashAssassin

jim_w said:
Ahoy Brewer!

Freeze distillation: It works, but it's not a terribly good idea. Water boils at 100C and freezes at 0C; ethanol boils at 82C and freezes at about -100C. Actual distillation works because the ethanol boils off before the water (sort of...), whereas freeze distillation works becuse the water freezes before the ethanol. The problem is clear - freeze distillation concentrates everything by removing water, whereas real distillation extracts the ethanol from the wash.

If you've got a bit of weak booze and you want to up the ABV a bit, freeze distillation works fine - put the booze in the freezer, take it out to shake it every now and again, then seive it when ice crystals start to form. Repeat 'till it's as strong as you want it. All the flavour will remain, as will the hangover-causing chemicals. If you're just boosting some cider from 5%ABV to 10% then there's no serious problem, but if you're trying for a much higher ABV - real spirits - then you're taking a big risk from methanol and freinds.

Freeze distillation is actually my prefered method, but there is more to it then just that. After you have frozen out as much water as you can, you put corn meal into the alcohol and this absorbs more water and the toxic stuff out leaving you with a spirit in the 80% range when done right after filtering the meal out. You can then take that up to 99% by filtering it through zeolite charcoal which will filter out water as well. makes a nice smooth shine.

Ryu

Hi guys, that be some juicy reading right there. Couple questions about dissolving oil in alcohol if you can lend a hand.

I have a couple of grams of really clean oil submerged in a vial of 50% stoli vodka for a couple weeks, kept on a very warm crt monitor and shaken several times daily.

It has reached a deep translucent green and when shaken little globs of oil fly around.
Will the rest of this oil disperse like some of it already has or is this a contaminent that will disolve in pure iso but not in vodka?

I have tried some of this made with a couple grams of low grade 30 second iso wash and it was brutal but the whole vial was just poured into tea - left over globs of oil and all.

Post 14 on this thread, now just listed as guest mentioned that butane extractions do not need a further decarboxylation process to optimize the high.

Is this true and is it also true with iso extractions?

Thanks guys, feeling inspired.
Making your own iso type wash is awesome, really diggin that shit, didn't even consider it. :)

Last edited:

Farm Hero

I know this is an old thread but it is a subject that has interested me for a long time.

First off I've read of a method for making green dragon using nitrous oxide that sounds interesting.....

GREEN DRAGON (Marijuana-Infused Liquor)

These are fancy words for heating up marijuana and alcohol at a low temperature to make an infusion. Then using Nitrous Oxide to force the THC into the alcohol.

ingredients:
cannabis
alcohol (I recommend vodka or some good ass Moonshine)
I recommend using 3.5 grams of quality cannabis per 750 milliliters of alcohol. This dosage is to ensure the effects without too much of either one, but you can always add more.

tools:
1 one-liter heat-tolerant whipped cream whipper
2 nitrous oxide chargers
1 double boiler large enough to accommodate the whipper contents
1 Pyrex measuring glass
cheesecloth
small metal strainer
thermometer

cannabis
alcohol (I recommend vodka or premium moonshine likker)
I recommend using 3.5 grams of cannabis per 750 milliliters of alcohol. This dosage is to ensure the effects without too much of either one.

directions:
1. Measure out the alcohol. Pour 250 milliliters (1/3 of a normal 750-ml bottle) Pour the alcohol into the whipper. Add the cannabis into the whipper.
Bartender’s Tip: If you use 1/3 of a bottle of vodka, then weigh out 1/3 of an eighth of cannabis (1.16 grams).
2. Attach the nitrous charger to the whipper and then release the gas. Unscrew the charger and attach the second charge and release the gas again. After you charge it the second time, let it sit for a minute or two and then open it up.
3. Next, begin the wet decarb process. Take out your double boiler. You will be heating up the infused alcohol in a delicate matter, which will activate the THC. Heat the water in the lower part of the double boiler to around 200 degrees. Then pour the infused alcohol into the top of the double boiler. You will see the liquid is really green. At this point, even though the flavor is in the alcohol, the active THC is not.
Note: You are heating it to a level that activates the THC but with no combustion happening. There’s no ash and no way to make carcinogens. That's what makes this a great way to consume the medicine.

Simmer the alcohol at this temperature in the top of the double boiler for about 45 minutes. It will reduce a bit, so you will add virgin spirit of whatever volume is lost in order to bring to the original volume to accurately reflect dosage.
Alternatively, a strong tincture can be made by reducing the liquid down to an extremely low volume—50 ml or so—and placing it in a glass dropper bottle. This tincture can be used sublingually (under your tongue) in very small doses to medicate. Always test medicine with a drop at a time and wait for reaction time to develop.
5. Next, remove the pot from heat and set aside. Using your glass-measuring cup, put your small metal strainer on top and then set some cheesecloth into the strainer. Pour your de-carbed cannabis liquid into the glass-measuring cup. This allows you to strain out the leftover cannabis. After straining, add enough of the virgin spirit to bring it back to the original volume (250 ml).
6. Lastly, use this liquid, Green Dragon, as a substitute for the base spirit in your favorite cocktail. And please enjoy responsibly! You will be amazed at the amount of flavor that comes across and how it takes the edge off the alcohol.

For the guy that has 5 gallons of moonshine and tons of trim... i'd soak that trim or buds for 8 minutes with just enough shine to cover the material. Strain off the shine and then using fresh shine, repeat for 8 minutes more, crushing and moving material around with a hoe handle throughout the soak (just like ole Rick Simpson). Strain and combine the two shine extraction runs...

I have a 3" (reflux with pot option) still head that hooks to sankey style kegs. I have a 16 gallon keg but for this I am thinking the 8 gallon pony keg might be easier to control precisely for oil reclaiming.

Just place the 5 gallons of cannabinoid-infused shine into the 8 gallon still and re-distill it. Using the pot still option you will get some nice light cannabis flavor notes in the shine, but the bulk of the oil will remain inside the pony keg pot. Once you've collected around 4 to 4.5 gallons of your shine back, stop and while still warm, pour out the rest from the pony keg to finish it off by evaporation, slowly in a crock pot.

You should get a nice amount of oil in the crock pot and get most of your moonshine back with an added flavor..... cannabis brandy is dandy

armedoldhippy

Veteran
yup, been making my own for years. it comes naturally, moonshining runs in the family. actually, if your family is from east tennessee or western north carolina, it runs in ALL of the families, either as a producer or consumer.:tiphat: