What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

USA strikes Syria again

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannavore
American media are corporations. Corporations by definition are not "left".

They are left, right and in between in America. Even worse with communism as the government is the corporation.

The government can't even be trusted to maintain our roads.... Makes absolutely no sense to let them control anything.
[/FONT]

Nice Regan tribute, but it is no more true when you say it, than it was when he did.

Brother Nature

It's very interesting looking back into the US corporate system from outside now. I never really noticed it while living there, but that's likely cause I knew nothing else. Those at the top shout about freedom and 'being for the people' but the system is setup for the people to lose, you only have to look at the laws surrounding consumer rights and such to see they're not 'for the people.' It seems like legislation is setup to protect money making entities, not the people. It's the reason Walmart can lock it's employees in at night ensuring somebody with a broken leg can't get medical access. Or if you legitimately get hurt on a businesses premises you have to hire a lawyer to deal with it.

I can't imagine any corporation supporting any legislation that limits it's profitability, but the conservatives have done that as much as the left. For example, Harley Davidson isn't stoked about the steel tariff as now it's going to cost them a few hundred more dollars to produce a single bike now. They're not going to take that on the chin to 'make America great again' they're going to pass that cost on to the consumer. I don't imagine Harley being a left leaning company in any regards, but I doubt they supported that legislation.

So to say corporates are predisposed to a political ideology is kind of ridiculous, most companies going 'green' aren't doing so for the environment, they're doing it to keep the customers. The bottom line is all that matters in business, so you're going to support those that support the bottom line. In the past that's generally been the conservatives pull, but you only need to look at the neoliberals who were the last democratic presidents (Obama, Clinton) to realize they were in no way fiscally leftist. Politics is emotional, and emotion is best left out of business, anyone successful at it knows that.

igrowone

Veteran
getting a little more edgy in the area
missiles launched by "iranian" forces at the golan heights
israel of course responded in kind in syrian territory
what happens next? probably not good, whatever it is

CaptainDankness

Nice Regan tribute, but it is no more true when you say it, than it was when he did.

Did Regan really say the same as me? If so, I guess he wasn't all that bad after all. He did say "if Fascism comes to America it will be in the name of liberalism" and go figure ANTIFA are pretty fucking liberal, more into communism of course, though communism is not much different than fascism.

Of course most people think fascism is racist, but that couldn't be further from the truth. Benito Mussolini is the founder of fascism and he didn't give a fuck about race, the man employed black Africans. Lol

Rondon

liberal is the buzzword of the decade. "anything i don't like must be liberal" mentality makes me puke.

They use the word "libtard" way too much. It makes me wanna smack someone. At least come up with an original word. C'mon. They just regurgitate the same ole shit.

M

moose eater

Capt. Dankness, I am fairly sure your quote is in error, and is attributed to the wrong person.

The quote, as I remember it, was,

"(If/when) Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a Bible."

And Reagan didn't say it. But I'd bet that an internet search will turn up who did say it.

Might surprise you.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Capt. Dankness, your quote isn't accurate, and is attributed to the wrong person.

"(If/when) Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a Bible."

And Reagan didn't say it. But I'd bet that an internet search will turn up who did say it.

Might surprise you.

did a quick search and the first link i clicked had this:

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2017/07/28/flag/

When Fascism Comes To America, It Will Be Wrapped in the Flag

Sinclair Lewis? Huey Long? Eugene V. Debs? Lonnie Jackson? A. L. Sachar? James Waterman Wise? Robert H. Jackson? Anonymous?

Dear Quote Investigator: The impulses of nationalism and authoritarianism sometimes combine to produce devastating results. The following saying has been attributed to the prominent writer Sinclair Lewis and the populist politician Huey Long:

"When Fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag."

The phrase “and carrying a cross” is often added to this saying. I have not found any solid citations for Lewis or Long. Would you please explore this topic?

Quote Investigator: QI has located no substantive evidence ascribing this remark to Sinclair Lewis or Huey Long. In addition, the “Sinclair Lewis Society” was unable to find this quotation in the Lewis’s oeuvre. 1 A thematically germane Lewis quotation from 1935 is presented further below. QI has also examined a different, but related, quotation ascribed to Huey Long:

"Sure, we’ll have fascism in this country, and we’ll call it anti-fascism"

fucking antifa anyone? lmao....

M

moose eater

The quote predates ANTIFA by decades; like at least 5 or 6 decades, if I recall correctly.

M

moose eater

But I think Long was referring to those nationalist freedom fighters such as the DoD and many police stations in America. The righteous who were to stomp out authoritarianism, communism, etc., but, not so surprisingly, ended up using the same methodology as those they claimed to oppose.

ANTIFA has no real authority or force, but the 'freedom fighters and protectors of our American way of life' who gather data by truck-loads, and systematically shrink the meaning of the many amendments in the Bill of Rights for the 'greater good,' well, they have plenty of force and authority.

That'd be what Long was referring to.

I'll do a search later for the remainder of the quote I cited.

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i really have no dog in the race here, but when i read the history books about Germany just before and during the raise to power of hitler, i see a lot of similarity with some of the actions ive seen in the news carried out by antifa. the nazi thugs also broke in on meetings and shouted down the speakers, or beat them and dragged them away, they also liked to no platform anyone who wasn't in 100% agreement with their ideology and they were also ready to use violence to counter speech.

so far our antifa friends haven't actually dragged lecturers out of their classes, but they have caused so much chaos and violence that the state stepped in and stopped the speaker from speaking on their behalf. but they have use bats and chains on those that they didnt agree with, so all it would take now is for them to get some kind of official backing and or recognition and they will go totally nuts. so yes i see a certain fascist tendency in our friends from antifa. at this time they are still in the hiding in the beer cellars stage. lets hope it stays that way and law and order prevails.

M

moose eater

By the way, the more prominent definition of fascism involves a heightened state of nationalism (check), marriage of government to corporations for the benefit of the corporations (a'la Mussolini's Italy, and 'check'), use of totalitarian methods (check) and a few more bullets of defining relevance.

Reagan brought about 'Zero Tolerance' (authoritarianism that resulted in banks reporting on any transactions greater than $10,000 or even -close- to $10,000 if the bank or someone at the Gov. believed the patron was 'smurfing'). He invaded countries illegally, supplying some seriously twisted U.S.-trained mercs with weapons and finances in Central America in the name of defending a country they posed no threat to. And he most definitely catered to the corporations, similarly to Trump, after which we spent a long time recovering from his disproven trickle-down economics 'theory.'

In fact, his own party passed numerous new tax bills very shortly after his cuts, in an attempt to save face re. growing the national debt and bankrupting the U.S.

In essence, Reagan helped to further America's evolution toward fascism. Pro-corporation, Pro-force, Pro-military, Pro authoritarianism, and was most definitely not a friend of the cannabis community by any stretch..

I think we continue to willingly be misled by the PtB to examine the mosquitos on the wall, when the Gorilla on the couch often remains without the proper labels they've earned.

M

moose eater

ANTIFA may have a militant side, but they are definitely not fascist; they are anti corporate military state. And as with any group that stands to gain any traction at all in confronting Goliath, the MSM has vilified them at every opportunity.

The Brown Shirts were an extension of the Reich. ANTIFA is anything but an extension of the Neo Fascists.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
winner@420giveaway
By the way, the more prominent definition of fascism involves a heightened state of nationalism (check), marriage of government to corporations for the benefit of the corporations (a'la Mussolini's Italy, and 'check'), use of totalitarian methods (check) and a few more bullets of defining relevance.

Reagan brought about 'Zero Tolerance' (authoritarianism that resulted in banks reporting on any transactions greater than $10,000 or even -close- to $10,000 if the bank or someone at the Gov. believed the patron was 'smurfing'). He invaded countries illegally, supplying some seriously twisted U.S.-trained mercs with weapons and finances in Central America in the name of defending a country they posed no threat to. And he most definitely catered to the corporations, similarly to Trump, after which we spent a long time recovering from his disproven trickle-down economics 'theory.'

In fact, his own party passed numerous new tax bills very shortly after his cuts, in an attempt to save face re. growing the national debt and bankrupting the U.S.

In essence, Reagan helped to further America's evolution toward fascism. Pro-corporation, Pro-force, Pro-military, Pro authoritarianism, and was most definitely not a friend of the cannabis community by any stretch..

I think we continue to willingly be misled by the PtB to examine the mosquitos on the wall, when the Gorilla on the couch often remains without the proper labels they've earned.

And just for some icing on the Reagan cake, 'twas Nancy Reagan who popularized the despised phrase, "Just Say No".

Cannavore

Veteran
deaths from antifa = 0
deaths from alt-right/neo fascists/neo nationalists = around 100

also a bit of irony here is the alt right and neo fascists love talking about cultural marxism.

cultural marxism = cultural bolshevism (a term coined by the nazis)

"Bolshevism Unmasked"
bolshevism-unmasked-german-wwii-poster.jpg

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
ANTIFA may have a militant side, but they are definitely not fascist; they are anti corporate military state. And as with any group that stands to gain any traction at all in confronting Goliath, the MSM has vilified them at every opportunity.

The Brown Shirts were an extension of the Reich. ANTIFA is anything but an extension of the Neo Fascists.

good point, their aims are different. it's the tactics that remind me of stuff i read about the pre war times in Germany. as for the ideology i grant you, totally different.

as for the body count, i didnt compare them to the right wing fascists and or extremists, they have their own fucked up sickness.

also i will add that the phrase; not yet, comes to mind when we talk about body count = 0. might change if the left wing gets in power or if they find a left party they want to put in power. only time will tell, i sincerely hope the similarities stop where they are.

CaptainDankness

Capt. Dankness, I am fairly sure your quote is in error, and is attributed to the wrong person.

Might surprise you.
No, I was right the first time and it was Reagan. He does make a pretty damn good point with it too IMO.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=75Lc31h91BI

Latest posts

Latest posts