What's new

NFL Agrees to Study Marijuana as Pain Killer

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
NFL Agrees to Study Marijuana as Pain Killer

by Warner Todd Huston2 Aug 2017

After resisting the trend for several years, the National Football League has decided to lend its support to a study looking at marijuana for pain management.

According to the Washington Post, the NFL sent the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) a letter, offering to work with the union to study the use of pot as a pain management treatment.

Until now, the NFL has refused to bend to the will of many players and ex-players who have pushed the league to accept pot as a painkiller. As recently as April Commissioner Roger Goodell was still publicly calling pot “addictive” and “unhealthy,” Pro Football Talk reported.

Goodell also said at the time that he believed pot is bad for players’ health, especially when smoked. “Listen, you’re ingesting smoke, so that’s not usually a very positive thing that people would say,” he said.

Now, it seems the league has completely changed their tune.
“We look forward to working with the Players Association on all issues involving the health and safety of our players,” Joe Lockhart, the NFL’s executive vice president of communications, told the media.

At the urging of a growing list of players, the NFLPA has aggressively advocated for the use of pot as a pain manager.
“I do think that issues of addressing it more in a treatment and less punitive measure is appropriate,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told the Post. “I think it’s important to look at whether there are addiction issues. And I think it’s important to not simply assume recreation is the reason it’s being used.”
The path forward on a cooperative review of pot use for pain management will not begin until the two parties hammer out the details in a collective bargaining process. Though, this is the first time both parties have agreed to begin the process of even considering the topic.

The league has already pulled back on punishment for pot use, specifically by having modifying its drug policy in 2014 to allow for a higher level of THC in players’ blood in drug tests. THC is the active chemical in marijuana.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/08/02/nfl-agrees-study-marijuana-pain-killer/

groupwave.gif
groupwave.gif
groupwave.gif

armedoldhippy

Veteran
thing is, the NFL is dealing with a legally recognized union. if enough of the union members decide it is a priority, they will include it in contract negotiations. if they offer something in return (a % of profits from teams?) the league will see "the error of their ways" & do "the right thing". they do not want to be seen as the curmudgeons keeping their multi-millionaire players from being able to find relief from the pain incurred making them all filthy rich. (unlike some folks in govt) they REALLY don't want to see a strike...:tiphat:

troutman

Seed Whore
Imagine the entire football team fighting over a pizza now.

The person who takes the last slice is getting sacked for sure. :biggrin:

St. Phatty

I remember Junior Seau's death, partially because it happened during a surf competition webcast near San Diego.

Concussions is a whole nother matter for the NFL to deal with, in addition to "Cannabis Policy".

I anticipate that whatever happens, it will be Machiavellian.

As a side note, what happens when permanent brain injury from repeated concussions smokes pot ?

I've had a serious concussion once, and pot helped.

But some NFL guys get concussed once a month, in addition to all the bruising they take from the neck down.

CHRIST ALMIGHTY YES they need a painkiller.

They also need to remember Junior Seau. Maybe they need better helmets, or maybe they need to retire players after they take a certain number of hits, to protect their brains.

armedoldhippy

Veteran
THC has already been proven to be a neuroprotector if given as soon as possible (or before?:)) a stroke.

Betterhaff

Veteran
This is kind of interesting. Out of 32 teams in the NFL, 23 are located in states that have legalized in some form. 7 in states that have legalized both medical and recreational, and 16 in states that have legalized medical.

XXX_710

The NFL and the NFLPA must follow US law. Until Cannabis comes off schedule 1, it cannot be studied in the US. They could however fund a study outside the US. If the NFL would just stop testing for it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Galaxy420

The NFL and the NFLPA must follow US law. Until Cannabis comes off schedule 1, it cannot be studied in the US. They could however fund a study outside the US. If the NFL would just stop testing for it, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

IF a frog had wings he would not bump his ass every time he hops!

Galaxy420

I do not know if any NFL players find this thread on this forum but check out whole black peppercorns to use along with your cannabis... the terpenes ( smells) in the black pepper are anti inflammatory and augment/direct the biological functioning of the active compounds in cannabis.... pre-cursor bio actives are what the terpenes in black pepper are

shithawk420

Veteran
That black pepper nonsense is girbirish and xxx is right.the NFL can't really do too much studies except on players in legal states and what about players in non legal states?the whole thing is silly and big pharma will always do there best to make sure the players are on opiods. They are some of there biggest clients.the NFL docs are currupt as hell

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
I remember Junior Seau's death, partially because it happened during a surf competition webcast near San Diego.

Concussions is a whole nother matter for the NFL to deal with, in addition to "Cannabis Policy".

I anticipate that whatever happens, it will be Machiavellian.

As a side note, what happens when permanent brain injury from repeated concussions smokes pot ?

I've had a serious concussion once, and pot helped.

But some NFL guys get concussed once a month, in addition to all the bruising they take from the neck down.

CHRIST ALMIGHTY YES they need a painkiller.

They also need to remember Junior Seau. Maybe they need better helmets, or maybe they need to retire players after they take a certain number of hits, to protect their brains.

First N.F.L. Concussion Payments Are Approved, but Some May Miss Out

Almost four years after the N.F.L. agreed to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to ex-players who said the league had concealed the dangers of concussions from them, the first payouts — some worth as much as $5 million — have been approved.

But the registration process will end on Monday, closing the window during which players can potentially receive cash awards. More than 18,400 out of the roughly 21,000 retired players have registered, a necessary step before they can undergo medical tests and apply for benefits. About $100 million in awards has been approved so far.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/04/...oncussion-settlement-player-registration.html

not as bad as all that for the players getting payouts.
i looked in my library of cannabis links and did not find anything related to concussions.
there are some monied personalities so maybe they can begin to lobby for the medical efficacy cannabis provides...we can hope.
:dunno:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Commissioner Roger Goodell appears to be “softening” his position on the issue of players using marijuana for pain management.

On Thursday, Goodell referred to marijuana as a “medical issue” that deserves more research. Not too long ago, the commissioner gave a different message on the topic of the controversial drug saying that it was “unhealthy” and “addictive.”

“There are a lot of compounds in marijuana that may not be healthy for the players long-term. All of those things have to be considered. And it’s not as simple as someone just wants to feel better after a game,” Goodell opined on the Mike & Mike show in April.

Speaking at a forum at the Broncos’ Dove Valley headquarters, the NFL’s 58-year-old top executive said on Thursday, “If pain management is something that medical marijuana can address responsibly, that’s something that our medical community is evaluating.”

Goodell is now working in conjunction with the NFL Players Association (NFLPA) to study the “potential benefits of marijuana in managing pain,” according to Pro Football Talk. “We just proposed to our union in the last month or so that we put some research money behind that to see how we could implement that . . . if they can address pain management in an effective and safe fashion. That’s something that I assume will get a lot of discussion, but hopefully it involves a lot of research and medical opinions that can help us make the best decisions,” the commissioner said.

On Monday, the Washington Post reported that The NFL wrote an open letter to the NFLPA offering to work in conjunction with them to study the use of marijuana as a pain management tool.
advertisement

“I do think that issues of addressing it more in a treatment and less punitive measure is appropriate,” DeMaurice Smith, the NFLPA’s executive director told the Post. “I think it’s important to look at whether there are addiction issues. And I think it’s important to not simply assume recreation is the reason it’s being used.”

Galaxy420

That black pepper nonsense is girbirish and xxx is right.the NFL can't really do too much studies except on players in legal states and what about players in non legal states?the whole thing is silly and big pharma will always do there best to make sure the players are on opiods. They are some of there biggest clients.the NFL docs are currupt as hell

well it's like this- I have science that shows the bio-molecular properties in black pepper are anti-inflammitory and act @ the cb receptor the same as cannabis compounds...

do you have science that shows it does not do that? thanks man I will wait for you to disprove metabolic signalling! Shit! it's called cannabimimetics= look it up! I so do not have time for other peoples ignorance! research that fucking shit

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2449371/

Last edited:

shithawk420

Veteran
That's pseudo science at best and its not proven.even if it's true,it would take a lot more than just grinding pepper on food.I use at least a couple grams of pepper a day.I love pepper and don't notice anything.and I use tons of other spices too.I swear some of you guys will grasp the tiniest of straws for weed.I've had multiple concussions and weed dont do shit for that.joint pain is a different story

armedoldhippy

Veteran
"compounds in marijuana that may not be healthy". true, possibly, but i bet it is better for you than twenty years of concussions and death by CTE or suicide. argue with THAT, you witless fuck!:moon:

St. Phatty

I used to eat a cannabis cookie before weight-lighting work-outs - if I was planning to go a little hog-wild.

(as an aside, I read an article about Tony Mandarich's work-outs, that focussed a lot on his Caffeine consumption, which for him was like a Major Food Group.)

As far as I'm concerned, they should trade bong-hits with the ref at the beginning when they do the coin toss.

And if they won't play that way - imagine a League that would.