What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New extraction technique? Rosin tech?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i havent done it much yet but pretty sure spreading a lot of small chunks out is the norm. if you went .2 grams per chunk then 25 pieces would be like 5 grams, that should fit easily. just a matter of moving your parchment loaded up to and fro the press.

RulaTone

Veteran
thanks Roji for the numbers
impressive potency and terpene content totally comparable with bho, maybe a little less terpenes?

Sunfire

Veteran
Anyone actually get thier stuff tested??? Or are you guys just saying its better then BHO?? The tests i can find dont prove that at all. Also cant find a terpeane test.

My BHO always tests in the high 80s to low 90s for THC and gets 8-15% terps depending on material and THC potency.

Only rosin tests i can find
http://analytical360.com/vendors/listing/conscious-extracts

Im always so confused, I thought after 10% terpenes you'll never have a stable product, it will be sappy?!? I've never gotten any analytical done but I've noticed that myself. The purple diesel I ran was sooooo floral smelling but is pretty sappy, almost to the point of not handle able but is still wax you can pick up and play with.

Someone set me straight here please.

theother

i havent done it much yet but pretty sure spreading a lot of small chunks out is the norm. if you went .2 grams per chunk then 25 pieces would be like 5 grams, that should fit easily. just a matter of moving your parchment loaded up to and fro the press.
Excellent news, gonna order one. I see potential to the tek and I enjoy the product. Definitely a different set of terps and effect then bho.

Im always so confused, I thought after 10% terpenes you'll never have a stable product, it will be sappy?!? I've never gotten any analytical done but I've noticed that myself. The purple diesel I ran was sooooo floral smelling but is pretty sappy, almost to the point of not handle able but is still wax you can pick up and play with.

Someone set me straight here please.
The stability IMO is generally lower than what I would see with bho for the same material. The terps picked up are different than a solvent extraction. Definitely some strains come out tastier than others. I did some lavender last night that came out so terpy it was almost nauseating. It seems to pick up this under flavor that the flowers have. Actually irritated my nose and lungs considerably. Gotta dab your limits with this stuff lol.

blastfrompast

Veteran
Yup I just tried some 2yr old tumble my skunky sativa leaning girl I used to grow.made a couple quick grams of keif from some larf from my stash.

Nasty made me wanna puke...it also went darker than anything I have made so far.

Fresh sift from my white widow is really nice, but the grape ape is better and comes out lighter. I would like to try watermelon, or some old DJ short blueberry.

I would NOT try those dogshit smelling strains tho lol.

I think that it would compliment a breeder like subcools work.

Course I have a swet tooth

Croptober

Made rosin from an old 2nd and 3rd 160u wash I've had for 2+ years that never got made into edibles. It tasted pretty good so I thought I would try to rosin some ended up doing it all.

First I pressed it out with the flat iron then pressed it into a little square.

attachment.php

Then pressed it for 5 seconds.

attachment.php

And collected

attachment.php

Then I collected all the stuff that didn't melt and pressed it again and got a decent amount back from it.

attachment.php

Took a rip on the banger a few minutes ago and now I'm feeling good and the taste is still there. It went from 3* to 5* in less than 30 minutes will definitely start doing rosin on my food grade.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_6513.jpg
    IMG_6513.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_6518.jpg
    IMG_6518.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6519.jpg
    IMG_6519.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_6524.jpg
    IMG_6524.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 19

theother

I froze the buds before my last press and it came out even tastier.

I just did some frozen nugs too. Yield was low for me, but it could have been the material. Color was different and it seemed to dab smoother. Was just material I found in the freezer. Gonna try freezing vs non more once I get a legit t shirt press. Feel fucking stupid standing on a hair straightener a million times in a row.

Sunfire

Veteran
I just did some frozen nugs too. Yield was low for me, but it could have been the material. Color was different and it seemed to dab smoother. Was just material I found in the freezer. Gonna try freezing vs non more once I get a legit t shirt press. Feel fucking stupid standing on a hair straightener a million times in a row.

Hehehe, that's funny!

Hmmm well I'm sure you guys can find the perfect humidity percentage to press the frozen with. I'm so curious how this would turn out with super fresh b nugs. I like doing fresh frozen water hash with them but this tech might be fun! The production level is still low though but I have faith roji will get the first large scale custom production machine going!

theother

Hehehe, that's funny!

Hmmm well I'm sure you guys can find the perfect humidity percentage to press the frozen with. I'm so curious how this would turn out with super fresh b nugs. I like doing fresh frozen water hash with them but this tech might be fun! The production level is still low though but I have faith roji will get the first large scale custom production machine going!

So far I haven't had great luck with fresh nugs. Really seems to be best when cured just about right for making or vaping. I will try freezing some though to see if it makes a difference.

Sunfire

Veteran
No no I didn't imply wet fresh as with the water hash.

I meant just freshly dried to desired humidity levels. Maybe some experimenting with different moisture content is in order. I've never done rosin but if I did I'd start with 60% RH

JointOperation

also guys we need to remember. .COLOR can mean way more then 1 thing. we shouldn't focus on color as much as we should taste smell potency..

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
well although i havent had as nice clarity and color as bho usually, it does matter what the color is in one respect, in that a quick press will yield golden extract, but longer ones make darker oil. its being decarboxylated if left in too long.

well although i havent had as nice clarity and color as bho usually, it does matter what the color is in one respect, in that a quick press will yield golden extract, but longer ones make darker oil. its being decarboxylated if left in too long.

On that note has anyone witnessed the "juicing" video ol BretMav put on inta yesterday of a flatiron running up and down inside a vice grip just smashing some dry sift and letting it run down into the fold of ptfe paper? I thought that would fall into the too much heat for too long category but hoped yall might have some more informed opinions that. You can literally hear it sizzling throughout the short video. His results certainly were clear and pretty that he posted of the aftermath.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
it depends on how hot the flatiron is. i have noticed since its such a small heatpad, you can squeeze for longer without reaching too hot. in a t shirt press 2-3 seconds at 275-300 works well, but even at 250, for 5 -7 seconds the oil darkens a lot.

a lot of the sizzling is moisture. since its steam distillation you hear the moisture doing its thing. if you cant smell anything it didnt start to evaporate terpenes, or if there is tiny odor and not too much sizzling thats fine too.

I can definitely see it being a lower temp higher pressure thing. However he was using dry sift so it seems like that would be an awful lot of moisture/ sizzling considering its not whole plant. Have to noticed a difference in that phenomena when using plant vs just resin glands?The variability in results folks are getting is pretty broad.

blastfrompast

Veteran
I find while using sift that lower temps produce a nice clear light extract.

Flowers I am not going to waste my time with anymore, yield is just too low for me when i have bins of trim to sift.

JointOperation

ya but to many people get hung up on color.. I can harvest 2.5 weeks early and pump out golden very light oil. or I can take at ripeness and pump out a more orange oil..

is all I was getting at. color isn't a huge factor.. .. u can tell from smell and touch and looks if its decarbed.. but color.. don't matter as much.. I pull purple buds.. and the color of the extract looks dark .. but is amazing to puff on.. .

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
it seems like you are trying to discount the fact of color mattering at all. the smell and touch come second; when i overpress a bud in a hair press at too hot a temp, when i open it up instantly i can see the darkened oil. to say color doesn't matter is not true. of course dont get hung up on any aspect of the process, but pay attention to all of them, because they all matter.