What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Ventilation/noise design....

Hi all,

I am designing a setup in a roof space and would like some tips on how to get the fans/air movement as quiet as humanly possible...

The roofspace floor has had another floor put on top of the existing with 50mm insulation board between the new timbers (cris crossed against the old timbers with padding where the new timbers sit on the old) on top of this is a new tongue and groove chipboard floor and over the top some thick carpet.....

The sides of the space will be insulated in a similar fashion and the roof itself

It will have 3 x 600W air cooled lights

Here is the plan with the fans

Intake

For the intake I am planning on using one of these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Ventilation_Index/Soler_TD_Silent/index.html

With the fan positioned near the outside wall it is drawing the air in from through a grill...It will have 6" acoustic ducting with a silencer near the grow area end of which is 3m from the fan...so from the outsde wall its pulling the air from it will be around 1m to the fan and from the other side of the fan up to the silencer it will be around 3m...then a small run after the silencer into the bottom of the area

Extraction

From inside the grow area there will be a 6" 300mm long Rhino filter, going into the first air cooled light, to the next light then to the third light (all ducting will be acoustic), after the third light there will be a 6" - 8" reducer, into an 8" silencer then a 3m straight run of 8" acoustic ducting into the side of an 8" acoustic fan...one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Acousti...arden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN&hash=item1c2064a46e

Then a small run (less than a meter) to the outside wall of which will have a 6" or 8" hole

I am hoping to have the 8" fan slowed down to the speed of a 6" of which should make it quieter than a 6" on full blast

-------------

Because the lights are 6" spigots that I have I have to reduce it somewhere....I could possibly do everthing in 8" including the carbon filter and put the 8" - 6" reducers at the beginning and end of the air cooled lights?

Any help greatly apreciated

Thanks

I had an 8 inch for 600 watt cab slowed down as much as possible, sealed inside a soundproofed box, blowing through a 24 inch x 8 inch homemade duct muffler and into a 30 inch x 8 inch scrubber...that fucker was still so loud, I needed to wear ear plugs to bed.

Im now thinking along the lines of

these...

http://www.justfans.co.uk/tdsilent-acoustic-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan-p-584.html

a 5" for the intake with a 600mm silencer at the end of the run and an inline filter grill at the start (to stop airbourne bugs from entering)

a 6" for the extraction with a 900mm silencer on it just before the air cooled lights then a 6" rhino carbon filter off the end of the 3rd light

All with proper acoustic ducting....approx ducting runs 4m each in total

Trouble is am I likely to cool 3 x 600s with the above?

Im now thinking along the lines of

these...

http://www.justfans.co.uk/tdsilent-acoustic-inline-mixed-flow-duct-fan-p-584.html

a 5" for the intake with a 600mm silencer at the end of the run and an inline filter grill at the start (to stop airbourne bugs from entering)

a 6" for the extraction with a 900mm silencer on it just before the air cooled lights then a 6" rhino carbon filter off the end of the 3rd light

All with proper acoustic ducting....approx ducting runs 4m each in total

Trouble is am I likely to cool 3 x 600s with the above?

I'm getting a TD-150S for myself, but not sure of your setup. I've read to upsize at least one full size over specs min req. You have a lot of volume and heat to move.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The extractor's 38db. That's almost as loud as a vortex. Freezerboy built a muffler from a beer cooler and rigid duct - says it helps little.

If it moves enough air, I'd try slowing it down with a speed controller. Might want to check with the mfg for motor/controller compatibility. Best wishes.

The extractor's 38db. That's almost as loud as a vortex. Freezerboy built a muffler from a beer cooler and rigid duct - says it helps little.

If it moves enough air, I'd try slowing it down with a speed controller. Might want to check with the mfg for motor/controller compatibility. Best wishes.

ill be going for the TD silent fans

TD350/125 SILENT 380m3/hr 20dB
TD500/150-160 SILENT 580m3/hr 22dB

Trouble is im not sure if the 6" could handle cooling 3 x 600W shades

S

speedemon

I use 2 x 5" silent intakes on sms twin controllers set at 27c which vent in from the 50mm airspace between the slates and the cavity insulation, so I dont get the pests but I get the cold air. I hear no noise at all from the air movement and as I flower between 10am and 10pm then the fan speeds are greatly reduced between 10pm and 10am so does not interfere with sleeping :) When I used to run noisier fans I found the only way to silence the air movement was to use 2 meter lengths of ducting between fan and exit, and I also used silencers on the exits to reduce noise further, but that was when I was running 8" airforce 2 fans and etalines. Acoustic insulation is ok but leaks like a sieve as the internal duct within the insulation is full of pin prick holes so as the air gets sucked through it can also cause smell problems, so its best to make your own using 2 different sized ducts and allowing at least 2" to use loft insulation, so for example 8" duct and 10" duct and insulate by wrapping 2" loft insulation around the 8" then pulling the 10" over it. Acoustic ducting is also fun when it comes to clamping it around fans or reflectors etc and can be a right pain in the ass to get a good seal. Mixed flow fans are deffo the way forward in silenced fans but you need to allow for the extra length of them :)

I use 2 x 5" silent intakes on sms twin controllers set at 27c which vent in from the 50mm airspace between the slates and the cavity insulation, so I dont get the pests but I get the cold air. I hear no noise at all from the air movement and as I flower between 10am and 10pm then the fan speeds are greatly reduced between 10pm and 10am so does not interfere with sleeping :) When I used to run noisier fans I found the only way to silence the air movement was to use 2 meter lengths of ducting between fan and exit, and I also used silencers on the exits to reduce noise further, but that was when I was running 8" airforce 2 fans and etalines. Acoustic insulation is ok but leaks like a sieve as the internal duct within the insulation is full of pin prick holes so as the air gets sucked through it can also cause smell problems, so its best to make your own using 2 different sized ducts and allowing at least 2" to use loft insulation, so for example 8" duct and 10" duct and insulate by wrapping 2" loft insulation around the 8" then pulling the 10" over it. Acoustic ducting is also fun when it comes to clamping it around fans or reflectors etc and can be a right pain in the ass to get a good seal. Mixed flow fans are deffo the way forward in silenced fans but you need to allow for the extra length of them :)

Good point about the holes in acoustic ducting...didnt think of that...So you just get normal plastic ducting and wrap loft insulation round it then pull a bigger size over...Ss if im using 6" fans then id pull 8" over it....cant quite picture how you can wrap loft insulation round the inner duct and pull the sleeve over it as it would pull off?

The 2 x 5" intakes are they going into the bottom of the grow area and the 6" is pulling directly out via the lights and carbon filter?

So for the outake you have 1 x 6" plugged into the out side of the sms controller and for the inake you have 2 seperate x 5" wired into the same plug of the in side of the sms controller?

S

speedemon

Good point about the holes in acoustic ducting...didnt think of that...So you just get normal plastic ducting and wrap loft insulation round it then pull a bigger size over...Ss if im using 6" fans then id pull 8" over it....cant quite picture how you can wrap loft insulation round the inner duct and pull the sleeve over it as it would pull off?

The 2 x 5" intakes are they going into the bottom of the grow area and the 6" is pulling directly out via the lights and carbon filter?

Do a search mate and you will find guides on making acoustic ducting :)

So for the outake you have 1 x 6" plugged into the out side of the sms controller and for the inake you have 2 seperate x 5" wired into the same plug of the in side of the sms controller?

Yeah I have 2 sms controllers in the room one has the 6" cf through lights and out and the other is a 5" and on the other sms controller on the other side of the room is just a 5" intake in the intake socket of the controller.

G

Guest 349079

i am looking for a new extraction fan so i will go with what you say speedemon as your grow room rocks peace gtbh

Granger2

Veteran
zane,
Who are you trying to keep from hearing the fan? The people above the attic? They have thick carpet, right? A big thing would be to prevent vibration, which is pretty easy. Seems to me that you can fairly easily have peace of mind. Here's a link to the DIY Link-o-rama
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=40637

There are, if memory serves, more than one fan quieters. But I adamantly suggest that you use this material if you can get it, rather than or in addition to fiberglass or rockwool.
Prodex Foil/foam/foil http://www.insulation4less.com/

Prodex is 1/4" thick, and using it with air space [VERY important] between layers, it's R14.5, and gives 19 decibels, impervious to water, super easy to work with, light as a feather. You can use it also to prevent any contact with wood, metal etc. which prevents vibration. You can use multiple layers, and it takes up very little space. It can be wrapped around duct. I use strips of it and tape to create air space between layers. It has many uses in the grow room. Can you tell I'm madly in love with the stuff? Good luck. -granger