What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

getting requests for tinctures...

mtbazz

Have some friends that are prohibited from smoking and have been asking around for tinctures...

I have literally pounds and pounds of trim material that consists of stems, popcorn buds, leaf material, and even some buds that arent popcorn but i was too lazy to trim...

Any idea how much of this material would be good to use for a tincture??

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
You're friends are going to be VERY happy with you. LOL

Make em some oil instead of tinctures. More spill-proof, less smelly, no harsh-bite and VERY portable. :D

Personally.... I'd pull all the fan leaves out first. Use em with isopropyl alcohol to make topical oils... stuff you can rub on wounds, bruises, sore muscle and skin issues.

Take the rest of the popcorn and frosty leaf trimmings and do quick washes with 95% ethanol (everclear works great). You're looking to make a super high-quality hash oil... as little green tint as you can manage.

Remove the ethanol... with a recovery still if possible (so you can re-use the everclear later. It's not the cheapest, it's food grade and works great).

Cook the remaining oil into Simpson Oil or Holy Annointing Oil... Gray Wolf and eloquentsolution have a lot of good threads/posts on that subject.

Make canna-caps and see how they like them.

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with that.... have fun. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

mtbazz

You're friends are going to be VERY happy with you. LOL

Make em some oil instead of tinctures. More spill-proof, less smelly, no harsh-bite and VERY portable. :D

Personally.... I'd pull all the fan leaves out first. Use em with isopropyl alcohol to make topical oils... stuff you can rub on wounds, bruises, sore muscle and skin issues.

Take the rest of the popcorn and frosty leaf trimmings and do quick washes with 95% ethanol (everclear works great). You're looking to make a super high-quality hash oil... as little green tint as you can manage.

Remove the ethanol... with a recovery still if possible (so you can re-use the everclear later. It's not the cheapest, it's food grade and works great).

Cook the remaining oil into Simpson Oil or Holy Annointing Oil... Gray Wolf and eloquentsolution have a lot of good threads/posts on that subject.

Make canna-caps and see how they like them.

There's a whole bunch of stuff you can do with that.... have fun. :D

Thanks, but to be honest I've gone the oil route before with only mediocre results. I tried the EtOH approach, boiling off the EtOH and wound up with a black gooey mess that was hard to handle...Ive also used O'Keefe tubes with butane, and while my results there were slightly better, I still ended up with a gooey mess that was hard to handle and aliqout.

That is why I am leaning towards a potent alcohol based tincture...I had some a few years back and the potency really struck me. 2-3 drops on my tongue and I was pretty lit for a few hours.

How much of this material should I use for this assuming 750 mls of booze and plant material that consists of trim and popcorn buds...1 ounce, 2 ounces, 5 ounces??? Also, what booze is best? I was thinking of everclear since it is odorless and tasteless.

kal el

Try making a dry ice hash. Use the hash to make whatever you want then, such as edibles and topicals.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Thanks, but to be honest I've gone the oil route before with only mediocre results. I tried the EtOH approach, boiling off the EtOH and wound up with a black gooey mess that was hard to handle...Ive also used O'Keefe tubes with butane, and while my results there were slightly better, I still ended up with a gooey mess that was hard to handle and aliqout.

Yes, it's an oil. All the mess aside (which can be cured with the right equipment)... did you get the cooking times right so it was super potent? The important part is cooking it for the right times to fully activate it. (edit: Simply making an alcohol tincture will be less potent than your previous experiment.)

You realize that at that point... all you need to do is add alcohol and you have a fully activated cannabis 'tincture', right?

Last edited:

mtbazz

Yes, it's an oil. All the mess aside (which can be cured with the right equipment)... did you get the cooking times right so it was super potent? The important part is cooking it for the right times to fully activate it. (edit: Simply making an alcohol tincture will be less potent than your previous experiment.)

You realize that at that point... all you need to do is add alcohol and you have a fully activated cannabis 'tincture', right?

Regarding dry ice hash....Ive done that also..its possible i may revisit that.

Hydro: Not sure what you mean by cooking times. All I did was dissolve cut up plant material EtOH (absoulte EtOH I obtained from work), filter, and than boil the EtOH off in a double boiler until I wound up with a black sticky substance. It was potent, but was just a PITA to work with....My attempts with O-keefe tubes were similar, but I think in that case I used to high of heat to cook the remaining butane off.

Maybe I need to do some more research...

I do have bubble bags, maybe I can do something with the hash I obtain from them??

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Hydro: Not sure what you mean by cooking times. All I did was dissolve cut up plant material EtOH (absoulte EtOH I obtained from work), filter, and than boil the EtOH off in a double boiler until I wound up with a black sticky substance. It was potent, but was just a PITA to work with...
This is why it wasn't very potent. It needs to be completely decarboxylated before using orally or as a topical skin rub. Roughly 250F for 20-30 minutes (as evenly applied heat as possible). Definitely look into the threads by Gray Wolf and eloquentsolution... like I posted before.

The tinctures you're looking for are just the oil you made, properly decarbed, and then re-dissolved in a bit of everclear. :D

Maybe I need to do some more research...

Yep... and you're gonna love the results. :D

VortexPower420

Veteran
Try Glycerine Tincture It is my favorite to make and has a great result. The last post is my recipe, which works well imo. Hope all works out well for you

V

vonforne

I take the first and second trim mixed with about 3 oz´s of small bud. Cut of grind into small pieces and soak with Canola oil. Then I slow cook it (be sure never to let it boil) for 24 to 36 hours. It takes me 2 days to do this. If it begins to boil turn off the crockpot (it is what I use to cook it with) and let it cool down and then re-start.

I use about 4 oz´s or so for 48 oz. bottle of oil.

After this is done I make brownies or cup cakes with white frosting. lol People call me the cup cake man.

V

geeker

Have some friends that are prohibited from smoking and have been asking around for tinctures...

I have literally pounds and pounds of trim material that consists of stems, popcorn buds, leaf material, and even some buds that arent popcorn but i was too lazy to trim...

Any idea how much of this material would be good to use for a tincture??

i say use all of it.