What's new

broke but deciding to have kids

this is a hard thought to sit on
I'm not personally doing this but...

what are your thoughts about being broke but deciding to have kids??

what gives?

some of my close friends are young dumb broke and actually planning on having kids while in this state of insecurity not someday, not by accident but now...

personally opinions? experiences?? suggestions???

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
Man. My unemployed friend and his girl recently decided they would go off the pill and have a baby. They're both overweight and she's the only one with a job. Like $15/hour + benefits. They have no family to look to for help. They're four months in. I chose not to say anything and wish them the best.

I think it's a terrible idea.

I understand if the condom breaks, the pill fails etc....and you don't want to have an abortion. To choose to do this seems ridiculous.

I wouldn't even think about having a kid unless I stacked at least 150k, just for their upbringing. That wouldn't even cover it, but it would give me time to keep working and get it together. Also there is massive overpopulation. I hate to say it, but from every 2 people we could have 1. In a while it would reduce population massively. I don't know how it would work, but it seems to make sense to me.

K

KSP

Personal opinion: Your friends are just dumb, and the last thing we need are more dumb people.

I can't imagine planning to have children while broke. Accidents happen, thats bad enough, but to intentionally do so? Stupidity.

PoopyTeaBags

State Liscensed Care Giver/Patient, Assistant Trai
Veteran
When your broke and have kids the state pays for everything... many people plan this its gross... some people have no standards of living... i dont mind if someone needs it but to plan on kids when you cant afford living yourself is just putting the payments in someone elses pockets....

Man. My unemployed friend and his girl recently decided they would go off the pill and have a baby. They're both overweight and she's the only one with a job. Like $15/hour + benefits. They have no family to look to for help. They're four months in. I chose not to say anything and wish them the best.

I think it's a terrible idea.

I understand if the condom breaks, the pill fails etc....and you don't want to have an abortion. To choose to do this seems ridiculous.

I wouldn't even think about having a kid unless I stacked at least 150k, just for their upbringing. That wouldn't even cover it, but it would give me time to keep working and get it together. Also there is massive overpopulation. I hate to say it, but from every 2 people we could have 1. In a while it would reduce population massively. I don't know how it would work, but it seems to make sense to me.

Nice the first three posts are all voices of rational thought. Thank you first of all. I feel you post exactly, I too can't tell my friends is a terrible idea because I've already made it clear how grateful i'am I don't have kids right now..i would loved to maybe someday but now taking care of myself is a challenge.

100 to 150k was a similar number that I was thinking about to...and that's just a given imo.

I've lived in welfare towns where poor family's do pretty much pawn the bill to the state and tax payers..its a shitty situation but damn people do it, and it seems like there is no talking sense into the senseless i guess..

When your broke and have kids the state pays for everything... many people plan this its gross... some people have no standards of living... i dont mind if someone needs it but to plan on kids when you cant afford living yourself is just putting the payments in someone elses pockets....

standards of living is really what kept ringing in my head. I really don't even think this a world I even want to raise a child..I've been bombarded with constant bullshit on a mental level ever since I was born...seems like such a hostel environment to raise a healthy little version of yourself. but we need smart people and good people added to world too so who knows maybe one day after everything is in its place...

Personal opinion: Your friends are just dumb, and the last thing we need are more dumb people.

I can't imagine planning to have children while broke. Accidents happen, thats bad enough, but to intentionally do so? Stupidity.

I feel you...sadly this seems to be the reality..
I find it hard to commit to a job most of the time if I'm not doing contract work or working for myself. I can't imagine committing the next 18 years of my youth to raising a kid and all the BS that goes with it...

young people are often immature and to bring new life into this world while your mind still isn't even where it needs to be I think is a real mistake. a baby probably is the biggest stress on a relationship, these kids may not be able to get over their own drama and now the baby, another life that needs you is involved and just complicates everything

I grew up with a single parent so I know its not an easy thing for the family as a whole when shit doesn't work out...Im grateful for my upbringing and how hard mi madre had to work to keep it good for us but damn it sure doesn't make life easy for anybody when the $$$ isn't there...

OvergrowingKiwi

I completely agree.

There are far too many couples out there having children for the wrong reasons. The average cost of bringing up a child in my country is $250,000... Thats ONE child..

We have contraceptives yet far too many people are having children when they are not yet mature enough or financially stable enough to provide the healthy upbringing that a child needs to develop into the best adult they can be.

Too many people out there not giving kids enough opportunity due to their poor decision making. I think its selfish to bring a child into the world when you can't provide for it properly.

Source: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/250-000-raise-child-in-nz-2919432

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran

god damn! if this isn't the perfect post!!!!!

SacredTHCRitual - your friends are fucking idiots. hope they don't live in my state. cuz ill go to there house and collect my fucking taxes from those fucking losers. im not paying for there stupidity.... where is the middle finger emoticon?

Panama Red

Why do I need a license for my dog but you can breed little welfare douchebags with impunity?

Kindly stay the fuck out of my wallet.

Thank you.......

bentom187

Veteran
i would tell your friend that thinking about parenting for his own ammusment isnt the brightest of ideas,if hes not ready the kid is going to suffer big time.its a lifetime obligation no turning back.

G

guest3901

oh great another clan of idiots that my working tax bucks go to support.
:jump:

Sideways

In all honesty, yes having kids is very expensive. I live in the Bay area in Cali and its one of the most expensive areas in the US. But there really is no perfect time to have kids: there is always too much I/we/you want to do, work is difficult, marriage is difficult, I dont think I'll have 150K stacked away until I retire- at 70 LOL. But we have two kids. We make it work, its not easy or cheap, but nothing is. We love em and kids are amazing.
I guess its all about the parents...... we put our kids first, everything we do is for them. If more parents stick to that philosophy, the kids will end up just fine.

Panama Red

Kudos Brother Bear.

I'm a rugrat(s) owner too.

Tired of running across inept, semi-and-fully-retarded breeders that shouldn't have.

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Out of rep today, Thanks :smoweed:
Know lots of folks that should not have kids, but some can and do it the right way all the time. Even poor.
Hard work sometimes, but we can't let the retards out breed us :yes:

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
this is a hard thought to sit on
I'm not personally doing this but...

what are your thoughts about being broke but deciding to have kids??

what gives?

some of my close friends are young dumb broke and actually planning on having kids while in this state of insecurity not someday, not by accident but now...

personally opinions? experiences?? suggestions???
My son and daughter brought me more joy and a sense of purpose than anything else in my life. Sadly they were called home by the universe.

Kids need love - money is money. Money can buy things but children don't need things. They need an understanding that they're important to their mother and father and their extended family.

Basically they're pretty easy to care for compared to what some people go through to grow a f*cking plant. Simply amazing actually.

Go for it. If you have a good life with your lady the children will cement that relationship.

Just an opinion of course.

CC

JJScorpio

Thunderstruck
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I never heard the OP say these people were on welfare asking others to pay for their kids...... What's the deal with all the negative hate? It never occured to me before these forums, but it seems tokers are some of the most judgemental people....... It doesn't take a fat bank account to be a good parent. And some of the best people I know came from homes that barely made it. But they did........

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
going on the govt tit is what many of them are thinking imo, welfare just won't let kids suffer.......

Panama Red

I never heard the OP say these people were on welfare asking others to pay for their kids...... What's the deal with all the negative hate? It never occured to me before these forums, but it seems tokers are some of the most judgemental people....... It doesn't take a fat bank account to be a good parent. And some of the best people I know came from homes that barely made it. But they did........

The OP said his friends were "broke" and "decided to have kids".

Using your incredible moderator wisdom JJ, where does that end up?

Please, enlighten us.

Thanks in advance.......

Brother Bear

Simple kynd of man
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Aww man my first ever deleted post at ICM and i didn't even get to break the TOU. You guys owe me one :laughing:

Latest posts

Latest posts