What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

When to harvest plants for highest CBD?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Does anyone know when a plant is at it's highest levels of CBD? When is it best to harvest? I do not know if taking longer would benefit ot not? Thanks

L

larry badiner

i harvested about 10 plants about 1 month in and they were fairly high in cbd

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Does anyone know when a plant is at it's highest levels of CBD? When is it best to harvest? I do not know if taking longer would benefit ot not? Thanks

I don't know any good info on this either but hope somebody chimes in as I'm curious about this as well.

i harvested about 10 plants about 1 month in and they were fairly high in cbd

How do you know, did you have your plants tested?

Huel Perkins

Veteran
Harvest them the same way you would any other plant. Judge harvest time by flower production, water/nutrient uptake, fade, calyx swell, and trichome color (cbd strains seem to show a little more amber).

CBD does peak slightly earlier than THC does, so if you desire a higher CBD to THC ratio you can harvest a few days early.

growfree

as long as possible, i would suggest this: just make sure that every trichome is brown and flush another week then harvest. that way the cbd will increase but the thc will drop. good luck

Huel Perkins

Veteran
as long as possible, i would suggest this: just make sure that every trichome is brown and flush another week then harvest. that way the cbd will increase but the thc will drop. good luck

Grown many cbd strains and lab tested many times to back that up?

slowandeasy

Veteran
Obviously not one of you knows the true answer, I want proof....not guesses and "when it is ripe" answers. If CBD levels are higher sooner than THC, do they drop sooner than THC? If you are just guessing, save your breath.....I can guess too. I want proof

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
if you want proof I suggest you read the GW pharm patent literature for their sativex and epidiolex extracts…. max cannabinoids in ripe plants.

or ask Jesus, he's got all the answers!

Here is something from CannabisNow:

"The grow: Harlequin is a fabulously frosty, clone-only strain that flowers quickly and requires about 60 to 70 days to finish indoors. Unlike most strains, an extended flowering time for Harlequin can actually diminish its effectiveness, because CBD degrades earlier than THC. Thus Harlequin generally tests at around 7% CBD at 10 weeks indoors while at 8 weeks, it can deliver CBD levels as high as 11.9%."

http://cannabisnowmagazine.com/grow/harlequin-strain-review

I also would like a definitive answer on this question. I have 3 Harlequin plants about a month away from harvest and would like to know if any of the above is true. The last Harlequin I harvested went for about 9 1/2 weeks and it turned out a little bit 'stoney' for me. I would love to know if harvesting early would increase the CBD and lessen the THC.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I read some info on another site that was relayed from the CBD crew. According to what they are finding CBD is earlier than THC so if you want more CBD and less THC you harvest earlier. This is contrary to what was believed earlier…run longer for more CBD development. I’m sure there are some differences between strains (or phenos) but it probably is a general theory for all. Their gear is based on a 1:1 ratio. I guess the big question is…what is earlier?

Supposedly one of the breeders was having testing done at varying stages of development but results were not posted.

MR_Falcon

Veteran
My cut of ambulance from 303 seeds tested at 8% thc/8% cbd when taken at 65days. When taken at 75 days it tested 8% thc/ 10% cbd. Just food for thought really, I'm not fully confident in lab results yet.:tiphat:

barnyard

depends on the timing and the part of the plant that's being tested...just prior to flowering the grow tips are most potent and when flowering start potency drops...its the leaves with the CBD, how do you harvest CBD from the leaves?

Bongstar420

someone posted here on the forums a gwpharma report on Sativex strain grows....all of them trailed off on THC with CBD holding steady later in harvest.

My Cannatonic cut came in with a higher CBD ratio than was reported for the cut. The gwpharma report discussed factors I suspect yielded this result.

Assumed report for the clone:
https://www.facebook.com/242501359258092/photos/pcb.293400130834881/293399794168248/?type=1&theater

I took her to 77 days

My cut of ambulance from 303 seeds tested at 8% thc/8% cbd when taken at 65days. When taken at 75 days it tested 8% thc/ 10% cbd. Just food for thought really, I'm not fully confident in lab results yet.:tiphat:

Attachments

• Cannatonic GPFC.pdf
    284.8 KB · Views: 100

Bongstar420

PDX Dopesmoker

Obviously not one of you knows the true answer, I want proof....not guesses and "when it is ripe" answers. If CBD levels are higher sooner than THC, do they drop sooner than THC? If you are just guessing, save your breath.....I can guess too. I want proof

THCA decays much more swiftly than CBDA, so the later you harvest the more THCA you will have lost. Its not really possible that one gets created before the other when growing in the plant because CBD & THC have the same precursor chemicals, so the creation of the precursors will determine when THC & CBD begin to appear. Since THC & CBD creation aren't independent of each other, the main factor determining the relative amounts of the two cannabinoids is how much you lose in the growing process rather than how much you create and since CBD is more stable it will stick around longer while the THC will decay to CBN.

GoatCheese

Veteran
I read some info on another site that was relayed from the CBD crew. According to what they are finding CBD is earlier than THC so if you want more CBD and less THC you harvest earlier. This is contrary to what was believed earlier…run longer for more CBD development. I’m sure there are some differences between strains (or phenos) but it probably is a general theory for all. Their gear is based on a 1:1 ratio. I guess the big question is…what is earlier?

Supposedly one of the breeders was having testing done at varying stages of development but results were not posted.
Yea i've read the same thing.
I understood that for best CBD levels for a 10 week strain, you could harvest it around week 8.

Latest posts

Latest posts