What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Alternative to khmer gold

teide

Veteran
First experience with weed was in Cambodia 1995.
Completely mind-blowing. A big dream since has been to grow my own plants that could remind me of that amazing baptize into the wonderful world of this plant. I would therefore like to have a personal collection of cambodian landrace as a homage to the first time, and an extra bonus would be if they were also trippy.

I bough one of the last packs of Khmer Gold from the bay, and now there aren't any more available. It is awesome to have these seeds!
Out of ten tried, two sprouted. One seedling was eaten by a tiny slug hitchhiking in the soil. The other seedling is not advancing and turning pale.
I really hope my tiny khmer gold seedling will survive until I am able to reproduce it, either harvesting pollen or dusting it.
The germ rate is very low, being old landrace seeds. I still have a handful left, but I might be unlucky.
If I don't manage to get any pollen, what would be my option to get the second best alternative? I am interested in getting authentic Cambodian landrace.

Here are my suggestions.
1:popping some of the cambodian crosses available on the market. Selection and backcrossing warranted. Trying to pheno hunt would be difficult, as I have no experience with growing cambodians. I wouldn't know if I had the right pheno or not. Would have to rely on feedback from the experts here.

2: Grow any landrace thai and lao. Options are many.
Be content with any pheno, as they are all the same? Laos, thailand and cambodia. As many have stated, shipments, seeds and pollen have crossed the mekong and borders for centuries, all strains are in essence more or less the same with similar origin if you go back in time. What has been known as thai often proves to be lao and probably vice versa?
(I am being a bit crude and simplistic here, I admit. But humour me)

A third option could be going for a south american or african NLD that is known to be very similar in regards to appearance and effect. Not ideal if I want SEA, but okay if I were just after the specific high that I experienced that first time.
Options are overwhelming. Even a trippy haze would to the job, as 1995 was a long time ago and a correct reproduction of my first experience might not be feasible anyway. I just remember that it was clearly NLD and the effect was out of this world. Trippy, but no paranoia. Visuals and a racing mind. Effect persisted for several hours. No recollection of terps back then obviously.

I am content with something that looks very similar to my memory of the first plant. Lanky, super thin leaves and soaring high. From the same region.
I am super stoked if it is verified cambodian.
I am however, unsure if pure cambodian exists.
If there is something that can be classed as pure cambodian, I am sure it was available in 1995. Knowledgeable people say current cambodia is hybridized. Back in 1995 the odds were higher that it was not dutch genetics.
I am not sure what I smoked in Cambodia-95. I was told back then that it was locally grown cambo landrace.
I cannot be sure though, that it was grown in Cambodia. Maybe imported from Laos. Maybe a Thai strain grown in Cambodia. Maybe it was mango thai, maybe it was highland lao.
Or maybe it was a dalat, what would I know back then..

So, if my khmer gold don't survive, what would be my next move?

SUPER_HAZE

Hello Teide.

If I had to choose. I would go to Laos Luang from GN. Although they germinate little I think and you have to look for good plants.

A colleague from another forum says it was straw. then i would go for mango thai or laos gold when they come back.

Then I would go for manipuri.

meizzwang

If you want a strain that's in the "same family" I'd go for manipuri. Smoke is incredibly smooth, flavor is A+, and high is consistently potent from my experience. Only downside is low yield and very long flowering times.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As far as the Mango Thai, it is a fine high. Not sure if it would match your old Cambodian strain. Not being grown in SE Asia in the sun is another problem. Some strains are not going to express themselves the same if grown in a tent or if outdoors far from the equator.

I have grown a few Cambodian and Thai strains and the Mango Thai is out in the lead for me.

teide

Veteran
Thanks guys,
Never thought of Indian landrace as an alternative to cambo, but when thinking about it, the manipuri seems quite similar. Seen some impressive photos from OD grows. Huge plants and slim leaves.

I am leaning towards a Lao strain, for their slightly rarer status, but I can't judge what would be more cambodian-leaning, Thai or Lao.

What cambodian types have you tried, yesum?

Bardo Eagle

Teide I suggest Lao Gold if you seek for lowland SEA
high,differ from highland SEA (mango thai,highland lao, etc..),these can have slightly chinensis hempy influence,from the photo of Lao Gold seems to be a legit lowland sativa(relatively short stature,shorter internode,more worked),with provenience from central south Laos,the other are relative to the north Laos Thailand where lives a more chinese influenced people carring hemp from far north(pollen fly)

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
cambodia, laos and thailand, those are new modern states. but they have common history. there is simply south asian genetics, and it spreads up and down the Mekong river. so you can call it cambodian red or thai red and it can be same genetics. those titles are ours, not their.. if you want real deal, dont mess with hybrids. laos gold sounds righteous.

teide

Veteran
I haven't seen much pure cambodian landrace whole plant photos, mostly buds and branches. Lao gold has been praised in many posts, I am sure it is awesome. But shorter stature and broader leaves is not what I hope for. But maybe that's quite common in pure cambodian? I imagine my dream cambodian as a lanky, tall plant with little branching and long slim leaves and fluffy buds. Maybe that's highland pheno, and cambodia is lowland?

teide

Veteran
I've got KG going now.
picture.php

This is what I imagine a true cambodian looks like.

If my KG doesn't survive, what is a good alternative in your opinion, solarlogos? What is most similar in terms of appearance, terps and effect of your Khmer golds?

Latest posts

Latest posts